If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Scarborough Spa Express 2009

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 5067, Mar 3, 2009.

1. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    Well maybe they are the majority... works in my case. However it matters to me what is up front and I make the decision and bring three more along with me who are out for the day... and in First Class or Premier Dining. So yes - three to one for those who don't care but my vote is the only one that matters. How many more families are like that and the business is lost?

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Enthusiasts may not make up the core number but treating them as if they don't matter could be fatal, the extra revenue they bring in could be the difference between making a profit and loss, anyway if the people running the show were not enthusiasts themselves at the end of the day they woulden't be doing this, steam tours have evolved into business but they certainly didn't start out that way.

3. cg

cg Well-Known Member

Can someone help me find good locations near Scarborough for either the departure from the coast or the arrival from York?

4. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    Nobody is treating them as if they don't matter - what is being said is that forty years after the end of steam, bleating that the engine up front isn't your favourite on any particular day, when you consider the number of days and routes being run by steam by WCRC each summer is - to say the least - a bit churlish.

And if you've got your nose in scoff and champers enroute, I'm surprised you have the time to notice anyway.

5. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I've found a couple of good departure shots: For a long distance, across the rooftops shot, try the north end of Oliver's Mount. To get really close to a departure, take your steps and look over the station wall opposite Falsgrave signalbox. HTH

6. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Totally agree, 8F a wooden spoon??? Not a lot wrong with it here..! With humble complements to Linesider1.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8X7mVOZk54M

7. Steamage

Have to agree, up to a point. The 8F is a great slogger, and will give a lovely soundtrack on climbs such as Wilpshire or The Long Drag, so not a bad choice for The Fellsman (though personally I'd prefer the Jubilee). I'd be a bit disappointed to get it on a Scarborough turn, though, because apart from the Harrogate - Leeds section, the route is pretty flat and needs a loco with a better turn of speed for an interesting day out.

Given past experience, I'd expect the loco allocations for these regular trips will be posted in the near future, though I guess they won't be 100% acurate.

8. blackfive

blackfive Member

Also, given previous experience, locos will probably do two week stints. That should certainly be the case for the last two weeks. In any case, should the loco you require work the train on Tuesday, it's a pretty safe bet that you can turn up for it on Wednesday and Thursday - unless they break it, of course!

9. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Spoke to the WCRC people on the SSE last year at the end of the season and the only time they were late back at York was with the 8F. It's limited to 50 isn't it?

10. Steamage

It is, and last year's timetable was rather tight for it, IIRC, though comfortable for 60mph locos and quite relaxed for 75mph locos. There's little scope for making up time when the loco's limited to 50 mph.

If The Fellsman is timed for 48151, then there will be some recovery time for the faster locos, at least on the easier stretches. I'm sure 48151 can match the 4-6-0s climbing Wilpshire and won't be far off on the Long Drag, but she won't keep up north of Appleby, for example. IIRC, last year's Dalesman, and some other S&C tours, often topped Ais Gill 20 minutes or more early on the return, partly because the schedule was worked out for the 8F (and also because the Appleby water stop seldom took the booked time).

(Thinks: Fellsman is routed Lancaster - Preston - Settle - Carlisle. That is via Wilpshire, isn't it?)

11. gresleyman

gresleyman Member

Student
    Wasn't there some talk of changing the timings again for this year, especially in regard to the late finish.

12. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Looks like it gets back to York at much the same time as last year and makes a 15 minutes connection with the last up NXEC of the day. Not the most generous of margins but WCRC never missed it once last year, even when the 8F ran late. Some mates of mine baled out of 70013 at Leeds when the SSE arrived 10 minutes late and were worried they'd miss the York connection. Missed the fireworks up to Bramhope only to learn that if they'd stayed on the train they'd have still caught their train back to Stevenage.

13. JohnRobinson

JohnRobinson Member

Talking of Wilpshire, just been scanning some old bw pictures and came across this banker at Wilpshire - i think my dad , who took it, hitched a ride from Whalley,
    [attachment=0:3oqi6eqd]Scans005a.jpg[/attachment:3oqi6eqd]

14. dp266

dp266 Member Account Suspended

Project Management
    Looks like a safe bet that the 8F won't be on the SPE as the Fellsman trips are sold out for most. The organisers of the Fellsman are of the view that it doesn't matter what loco is on the front, so with a sold out trips it's likely that the 8F will be used as there is no motivation or opportunity for enthusiasts. Guess it means that the SPE will have more interesting locos to enjoy multiple trips on - Leander, Scots Guarsman and Cromwell. Would be nice if the organisers produced a roster very soon.

15. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

So, you don't think that some of the folk booked on the Fellsman did so having seen the advertised pool of locos? Based on recent years, I'd be surprised if there's not a variety of locos, as indicated by the allocated loco pool. I agree that it's quite likely that the 8F will not be a preferred loco for the SSE, but I'd be surprised if the Fellsman trips are all worked by the 8F. Even if they are, 48151 is a cracking loco, and it usually means the lineside is a little quieter.

16. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

No I do not currently volunteer
    Will there not be an issue with the pathing of an 8F running between Carnforth and Preston on the WCML, especially as these runs are mid week?

Is her overhaul actually complete anyway - apologies I may have missed this elsewhere?

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Correct, Bamber Bridge with the 4 miles around 1:100 past Gregson Lane, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LAY7KZXQjQ to Blackburn, then Whilpshire, and again after Clitheroe there is a fairly long drag past Gisburn.

18. palace gates

palace gates Guest

This years timings are a bit disappointing.Last year the Leeds-York,York -Leeds section was booked 34 Mins in each direction.This year the outbound is O.K. but the return is 45 mins.Even a 50MPH 8F could keep that.This section for me is the highlight of the Scarboroughs.Its an interesting 25miles. Lets hope the times get adjusted for the return journey or they let it run early.

19. Alberta 45562

Alberta 45562 Part of the furniture

Train Simulator Developer
    Assume its either going slow,up whatever its called this week between Colton and CF? or it follows a 158?

20. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    given to understand the planned locos are, 46115, 45231 and 70013 in that order :-$