If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Settle Scotsman

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Horwich-works, May 23, 2009.

1. Horwich-works

Horwich-works New Member

Vehicle Engineer
    A couple of shots taken this morning of 40145 - East Lancashire Railway at Horwich Parkway heading North after picking up passengers for The Settle Scotsman Railtour

2. jackprentice2007

jackprentice2007 Member

3. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

I was on this yesterday and apart from the 3am alarm for a 4.59 departure from Shrewsbury (yawn!!) this was a superb day out featuring nearly 600 miles of class 40 haulage. The loco performed brilliantly and is a credit to the society who have got a busy weekend. After a slow run over the S&C she was let loose on the north WCML and after a steady climb of Beattock (passed at 28mph) was allowed to run up to a very fast maximum before Carstairs. The run home featured a much longer stretch of the West Coast and the climb of Shap which was passed comfortably at around 50 - 60 mph (GPS had a meltdown around here!). South of Carnforth there was a lot of running around the 85-90mph mark but she was only a couple of minutes early at Preston where we were held for 15 mins and left late.. ](*,) As a steam man with only a passing interest in heritage diesels this was an education for me in terms of locomotive performance and extremely impressive. Let's hope Tornando is successful getting passed for 90 mph. Arrival at Shrewsbury was 4 late at 11.20pm after some very brisk departures (&thrash!) from set down points around Manchester. An epic tour in terms of time & distance but extremely enjoyable and well organised. Compass tours have a tour to Inverness from Crewe advertised for July which would be even longer both in both time and distance, think today's trip was just about my limit (must be getting old!). A big thanks to all involved though i'm afraid my fiance' still prefers steam!