If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway and the Nescliffe MoD Training Camp

Discussion in 'Bullhead Memories' started by Roger Farnworth, May 19, 2019.

1. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Apologies for the long title for this thread. I was challenged by someone who read my posts about the Bicester Military Railway and about MoD Kinston to look at the Nescliffe Camp.

I have started by looking at the feeder railway which was commandeered by the military and this has become a post in its own right. I will get round to the military areas in one of the next posts in the series.

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/05/18/the-shropshire-and-montgomeryshire-light-railway-and-the-nesscliffe-mod-training-area-and-depot-part-1

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    CH 19, Bertie Lissie and mikehartuk like this.
  2. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member

The next post in this series links the place I grew up during teenage years with the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway. 'Gazelle' was made in King's Lynn and has had an interesting history!

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/07/21/gazelle

Miff likes this.
  3. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

A good account of Gazelle, possibly the first full size loco built purely for the pleasure of a railway enthusiast.

The Wolseley-Siddeley railcar body is also of interest in its own right since it had been the first of Col. Stephens’ railmotors - seeing use on the K&ESR and the Selsey before ending up on the S&M. The grounded body was still at Kinnerley in the 1970s but probably beyond repair by then.

Roger Farnworth likes this.
  4. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member

Gazelle is known to have taken charge of two different coaches in its time on the Shropshire & Montgomeryshire Light Railway. The first was a cut down version of a London Horse Tram. The second used the same chassis with a body from a Wolseley-Siddeley Railcar which Colonel Stephens first used on the Selsey Tramway. That Railcar was itself a signioficantly modifies rail-lorry based on a Wolseley-Siddeley chassis........

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2019/07/27/gazelles-trailers

5. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member

30854 likes this.
  6. huochemi

huochemi Part of the furniture

Thank you. Tom Rolt's book "Lines of Character" has a section on the Colonel Stephens railways (p33-44), and the first part of his autobiography "Landscape with Machines" has a short section on the S&M (p108-110). Both mention the railmotors ("the maximum of discomfort ever achieved in rail travel").

Bluenosejohn and Roger Farnworth like this.
  7. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member