If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Southern Irishman 31 May

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 44123, May 28, 2014.

1. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Well interesting day.

It was great to see quite a few old friends. It seems that an extra coach was added which made the load 11. This is one more that Castles have taken to Fishguard before and I suspect mandated the diesel. Alternatively was the diesel add for an operational reason, then the decision to add an extra coach because the diesel was coming anyway? That said Bill Warinier in the cab of the 47 did his level best to let 5029 do the work but 522 /557 tons on 1 in 50 was never going to happen unassisted. I believe the diesel only helped on the climbs from Fishguard and Cockett. It could be argued that there is little point running steam to Fishguard if it is going to diesel assisted, there is very little to do at Fishguard Harbour station (well nothing actually). This certain put a bit of a damper on the trip for me and I think RTC/WCR should think carefully before scheduling trains to Fishguard in future if this is going to be repeated.

All that said 5029 ran very, well. The performance on the many climbs through wales was very competent indeed with circa 550 tons behind the tender. An example was reaching Stormy sidings at 25 mph from a standing start in the loop at Port Talbot meaning we only had achieved 39 mph at the foot of the climb - very good work indeed given the final section is at 1 in 93. I was at the rear of the train and paying close attention to the 47 behind and I am 99% sure it played no part in the climb. Other performances were similar. The loco always seemed to be 'on the mark' with safety values consistently feathering. I think the 'Torbay Express' itinerary will hold no fear for 5029 on this form.

2. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

The loop is most certainly gone. No rails remain between points at each end!

3. iswise

iswise Member

I agree with pretty much all no 7 says. I was at the rear carriage window right next to the diesel and agree 99.5% sure only diesel assistance were short and very necessary bursts out of Fishguard and near the top of cocket. All in all a great day withe loco looking and sounding superb. Glad it was sunny at Fishguard. If only there'd been an ice cream van ;). Carmarthen fine if u use it to pick up superb fish and chips nearby for a tasty al fresco lunch :). Thanks to all the hard working staff and crew. Looking forward to the line side videos tomorrow

4. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Must have been decommissioned fairly recently, then, as they were there when I did this trip two years ago.

As has been said before, the problem with Fishguard is that everywhere either requires a bus ride or an uphill struggle. However, there's a very good chippy in Cunard Square, Goodwick, and you pass the old shedmaster's house on the way there- its about a 15 minute walk from the harbour station. Many of the buildings in Goodwick were of railway origin.

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  5. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

there is/was a plan to re-open the station at Goodwick as it is much more convenient for non-ferry passengers.

6. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Reading General likes this.
  7. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Might it be an idea to include a pick up/set down at Fishguard & Goodwick if this itinary is to be repeated ?, just bloody typical the most boring destination out there is the easiest to do as opposed to Milford Haven/Pembroke/Tenby etc.

8. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

Some on-train footage...

9. leander

leander Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    A very good day out thanks to all involved especially the 2 Rays they know how handle a Western loco