If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Talisman 7th February

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Neville Philpott, Feb 3, 2009.

1. Cunni

Cunni New Member

Civil Engineering Technician / AutoCAD Draughtsman
    On Nottingham Midland platform 1 the station staff got physical withyou if you stood within 5 feet of the painted white line and 'passengers must not....' sign. Nightmare, as it put you too far forward to photograph the Duchess, but any attempt to reason with them that the sign said don't cross the line and we just wanted to stand infront of it was met with threat of removal from the station. It nearly got violent at one point with some passengers who wanted more than a word with these guys.

Talk about Jobs-Worths!

2. jay

jay New Member

NRM Apprentice-NELPG volunteer-NYMR Volunteer
    Pointless, the station staff at a station we stopped at on saturday were like that, the passengers were still getting on the train, and one of the platform staff was shouting at me to shut my door!!! A slight problem there mate, shall I leave my door open for abit longer, or leave half of the passengers here ](*,)

3. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
    "Station Staff" What are they please? Not seen any of those 'ere in Devon!

4. Dave Roderick

Dave Roderick New Member

I have thought this refers to the "railway line" because it is sometimes accompanied by a further statement such as "except by means of the footbridge" or similar, whereas staff may use a barrow crossing at the bottom of the ramp.

5. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    First things first - Kings Cross is a Network Rail station - not NXEC like York etc. Normally all platforms are closed. The permission to go onto platform one was a response to circumstances - and a sensible one too.

It would not have been sensible if the crowds had been of the character experienced at Newcastle when Tornado was cut short at Durham. The public and enthusiasts are basically sensible.

Second - no-one has an exclusive control over our hobby. On occasion the general public will be attracted for whatever reason. Attitudes like Mark's above are a selfish nonsense both in terms of special events, and in respect of encouraging the general public to travel by train in their normal life. Revenue control does not mean making stations into prison camps.

The system works well 99% of the time. On an occasion such as this there will be problems for a few minutes. What is needed is a mature attitude amongst the participants.

Finally - we are in a period of "new and shiny" This "Tornadomania" will pass and the loco's appearance will become much more a railway and far less a public event than at present.

Just be delighted that the public have noticed what she is, what she represents, and stop being so churlish!

6. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

Generally accepted by who, if you don't mind my asking?

In my spotting days of 'several' years ago, most gricers used to hang out on the ramps. I can't recall ever being moved on. I can't see what the problem is with ramps, as long as you don't pass the 'do not pass this point' sign and the ramp isn't too narrow and too close to the line (in which case aforementioned sign is usually present).

For those who consider ramps a dangerous place, have you never climbed a hill, do you immediately fall over if not on the level? I'm really curious why a slope is considered so dangerous?

7. dalrypaul

dalrypaul Guest

If they brought it into one of the surburban platforms, then barrier checks could be easily implemented as there's only one set of steps and a lift. However, I think steam is currently banned from the south Calton tunnel(?). There may be a route to cross from the north tunnel to the surburban platforms, but I'm not sure. If using the surburban platforms, people could view the arrival from Market street, or an area of the car park (adjacent to the platforms) could be used. However, once into the platform the loco wouldn't be visible, except from Waverley Bridge, which wouldn't be suitable for many people. In all honesty, it doesn't matter which platform it comes into, as they're all fairly narrow at the west end and unlikely to be particularly accessible for large numbers. The best option would probably be to use the surburban island platform and open that up as a free for all as this would only lose the platform on the other side of the island and would keep the rest of the station open as usual. It just depends if they can access those platforms with steam. No. 9 did last year, but the ban was in place for 30777.

8. 50031

50031 Member Account Suspended

9. TrevorM

TrevorM New Member

Has anyone any details of 60163's journey back to York for the naming ceremony. Given half a chance I would love to see her between Newark and Retford.

Many thanks TrevorM

10. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
    http://www.uksteam.info/tours/t09/t0216p.htm

11. Cunni

Cunni New Member

Civil Engineering Technician / AutoCAD Draughtsman
  12. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
  13. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

It works okay for me.

14. 46236

46236 Well-Known Member

lord of the manor
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  15. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I apologise for bringing up trespass again, but i've just seen THIS has been uploaded to youtube - would these be some of the fools the BTP are after? Beggars belief ](*,)

EDIT - not suprisingly, the uploader has removed it

Chris