If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Tin Bath, March 29th.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by RalphW, Jan 24, 2009.

1. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

Any idea's of times, other than those allready mentioned, as these will be a slow run from Sheffield 12:00 to Huddersfield-Manchester 16:45

Neil

2. neildimmer

3. Stepney32655

Stepney32655 New Member Account Suspended

Grave-digger

Well, I wouldn't have been the first to have observed that 45407 recently looked pretty silly with a "Cotton Mills Express" headboard on the top bracket ... as it rolled into the fashionable Georgian spa town of BUXTON, a place unquestionably replete with fine buildings totally unspoilt from the ravages of soot and grime emitted out of a myriad of factory chimneys!!

So, what WAS that all about??? There may very well have been one or two such establishments in business at one time in close proximity to the engine's current home (and, certainly, in the vicinity of its spiritual home of 10D Lostock Hall, where it came from, in the first place), but, be assured, these were pretty thin on the ground in the Derbyshire Peak District!

For this latest foray - once again well off the more usual beaten tracks - perhaps a more appropriate title might be the "Sheep and Woollen Mills Express". (One hastens to add here that one has resisted the temptation to mention "Green Wellies" within the body of such a suggestion … if only for fear of incurring the wrath of the "student(s)" in proffering (allegedly) “unwanted” posts! (Mr Riley will require no further explanation here!)

4. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    OK - A vote please

No headboard - my vote

The Tin Bath - would look silly hung on a smokebox anyway, and would probably blow away

A "Tin Bath" headboard - do you really want the response it would bring

5. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Does it really matter what the train's called? As far as I'm concerend they can call it what they blooming well like. The route is of far more interest to me than what's on the headboard.

6. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Well, for this one, my vote is for no headboard.......anyone know of a relevant appropriately period reporting number for the smokebox?

7. neildimmer

Didn't 'The South Yorkshireman' run over the Sheffield-Huddersfield portion? (Via Woodhead route)

Neil

8. hjo1963

hjo1963 New Member

Joiner
    The 'Devonian' ran over the Sheffield - Barnsley section reporting code M240 is on a photo in the book The Midland Line in Sheffield by Peter Fox.
    Brian

9. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Any more offers on M240?...............

10. Knowyoudid

Knowyoudid New Member

Is that M24 zero, or M24 ought?

11. 45581

45581 Part of the furniture

The Devonian only ran on the short section from Dore to Meadowhall and then continued up the Midland through Rotherham and Cudworth to Leeds City and Bradford Forster Square, originating in the other direction at Paignton and running straight up the MR from Bristol via Birmingham NS and Derby.

The South Yorkshireman ran from Penistone through Huddersfield to Greetland Junction before heading up to Halifax and Bradford Exchange. She started at Marylebone and ran straight up the GCR to Sheffield Victoria.

The latter gets my vote.

12. 6:05 special

6:05 special Well-Known Member Loco Owner

All inter-regional expresses into the former North -East region of British Railways carried a reporting number beginning 1N. The infamous Bournemouth West - Leeds which produced 6858 Woolston Grange running through Penistone to Huddersfield on 15 August 1964 had the reporting number 1N72. Surely this should be the reporting number on the front of the "Tin Bath" as whilst normally this train would have been Jubilee hauled over the Penistone route I'm sure it must have produced a Black 5 or even a B1 on occasions with those locos still of course carriying that same reporting number 1N72.