If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway - (the abandoned section)

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Roger Farnworth, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    After my first article about the Town Section of the Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway a number of folks got in touch with their photos of the line and I have, since deciding to write an addendum, found other photographs which people have kindly allowed me to include in this additional article. There are a few embedded links to Flickr images as well.

It has been a joy pulling all these together. ...

http://rogerfarnworth.com/2022/09/23/the-welshpool-llanfair-light-railway-an-addendum/

2. Roger Farnworth

Roger Farnworth Member

The OS map in the link below has the correct route across Church Street. This link was kindly pointed out to me by an acquaintance on another forum.

Ref SJ20NW - A
    Surveyed / Revised: Pre 1930 to 1962, Published: 1964

https://maps.nls.uk/view/189186867

ilvaporista and 30854 like this.
  3. 30854

30854 Resident of Nat Pres

Retired
    Superb piece there Roger. Many thanks. I particularly enjoyed the old monochrome images superimposed on the modern vista. I'm slightly tempted to ask if you've one of a Manor or double-headed "Rats" in the middle of the main road, on the former SG alignment through the station!

Re: the OS map .... I wonder why the evident break in the W&L line, immediately SE of the location where the passenger line formerly parted company with the goods line? Can't be 100%, but don't think that coincides with the end of a mixed.gauge stretch.

Many of the road improvements might have helped road traffic, but can't be said to have been carried through with too much sympathy for.the old town. They made a right old mess of Church Street.

Anyone else note that "Bowling Green" on the map in the article is shown as 'Motte and Bailey" by the OS map? Nothing to say both descriptions aren't equally valid, but a fine example of how and why representations of a changing world themselves change over time.

Roger Farnworth likes this.
  4. ilvaporista

ilvaporista Part of the furniture

C.Eng