If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

The Wessex Express 18/11/17 UKRT-MNLPS-DBC

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Where's Mazeppa?, Jul 21, 2017.

1. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Just posted on the UK Railtours website are details of the above tour, the itinerary for which is similar to outing/s previously run under the title "Solent and Sarum".....
    http://www.ukrailtours.com/product/the-wessex-express/

Previous MNLPS statements have foreshadowed the possibility the there might be more outings in the post-overhaul era that could be more financially accessible to the hoi-polloi than perhaps was formerly the case when such a large proportion of Clan Line's work seemed to be committed to Belmond outings, and its very pleasing to see that this now seems to be happening.

The "something-more-ambitious-than-the-Surrey- Hills" concept is great, particularly as it seems to fit quite neatly into the span of daylight hours prevailing around mid-November, when so many other excursions necessarily feature so much of their return legs either partially or totally within the hours of darkness. And sensible start and finish times will certainly work well for those like me who will be travelling from the provinces to join the train.

So shed-loads of praise for those who have devised this outing. I hope it gets the lots-of-support that it deserves and turns out to be a massive success financially. Enough, maybe, to become a regular offering in the same way as BBP is for its more well-heeled clientele. I do hope so.

green five likes this.
  2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    This itinerary also makes for a sensible working day for the locomotive, support crew and DBC. Something to be welcomed.

green five likes this.
  3. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes this is a nice trip. I did basically this tour on Dec 8 2005 when Kingfisher ran it with Tangmere. Only difference was it went back to Kenny O and as I needed Clapham Junction to Kenny O for steam I stayed on. During that time there was a major signal failure on the Richmond lines and it took me many hours (and buses) to get back home.

4. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes, this tie up between MNLPS and UKRT is just what we need down here in Third Rail Land - a few regular trips with a reliable, geographically appropriate and exciting engine which aren't too long and, being DBC, no diesel (apart from the shove out of Victoria) unless stated. I've already booked up on a main line trip behind Clan Line in September, so will have to give this one a miss, but something on similar lines in early Spring 2018 would be very welcome.

I find it amazing that while RTC runs a series of trains from London up to the S&C in winter/early spring year after year - and they obviously load well - somehow, with the odd exception, that company does not seem to feel that there is any market for steam in the south until we get to May/June time. I find this hard to believe and hopefully UKRT and Clan Line between them will prove me correct.

Harry Stanger likes this.
  5. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    180+ miles of steam for £79.50 is pretty good, and as said, there are opportunities for some fast stretches. As I'll be heading towards 'clearing' 35028 for the first time after September's trip, this would be a useful shove over my 1,000 mile milestone. Will have to see what the finances are like closer to the time, as I still have several overnight stays around the country to do before I can benefit from any adjustment I make to my approach to mainline steam. Think I'll be reducing to five or six trips next year, rather than the potential 15-16 this year.