If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Thefts and Vandalism

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by rough-shunter, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Calan

Calan Member

Student & Volunteer.

I do think commiting damage to other property or something that is a lot older than them selves is DAFT. If I had my way I would make the scrub it off and give it a nice clean. That'l teach them.

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Over the past few weeks we've had cable, various tools, parts from 33034 [effectively now unrestorable], etc stolen from various locations along the railway ](*,)
    Nothing's safe these days - and some of it appears to have been nicked in daylight hours :-#

3. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    I remember last year or the year before when Braveheart first arrived on the P&DSR someone broke into their sheds and tried to steal the engine, i mean how stupid!! Aparrently according to the papers they only managed to inch it forward and release a load of water into the pit fools eh!

Obviously arent aware of how long it takes to fire up a steam loco and tht they need to follow rails so couldnt take it far anyways (Not a very fun joyride eh?)

They also had their santa coach vandalised last year as it was torched on the carriage siding at Paignton, that was thought to be arson, she was all nicely refurbished too, luckily they found a replacement

4. Calan

Calan Member

Student & Volunteer.

I think it is about time that the Government put tougher laws in,

5. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    Now Now... Have you not seen the Titfield Thunderbolt - I seem to remember a GW tank heading down the village street...

6. Dan Hamblin

Dan Hamblin Part of the furniture

Rolling Stock Engineer
    Yes, and if you look closely you can see the wheels of the Austin 7 it is mounted on!

Regards,

Dan

7. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Yes but that loco was already fired up as just put on shed, which is why they stole. Although I do believe from what I remember it crashed into a tree as seemed to be lacking steering capabilities.

Didn't the Titfield Thunderbolt also go for a joyride down the museum stas well??

8. Nick Gough

Nick Gough Well-Known Member

Borrowing Thunderbolt (Lion) was authorised by the Town Clerk, so that wouldn't be classed as a 'joyride'!

9. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I seem to remember they bribed him with something cant remember what though

if you'd like to see a trailer visit:
    http://www.lovefilm.com/product/detail. ... _trailer=1

then to can invoke all those childhood memories, i used to have it on tape from when it used to be on TV as my grandad taped it and showed it to me. But then thats how these things start isnt it!!!

10. Nick Gough

By telling the police to withdraw the charge when he was (mistakenly) arrested for the theft of their wrecked train!

11. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

Yes I know I was so inspired I actually rented the DVD from Blockbuster online where I have an account. This was to watch it again and revoke all those childhood memories as I used to watch it a lot when I went to see my grandad when I was younger, I believe he had 6 or 7 copies on tape anyway see the trailer

12. Nick Gough

My son was good enough to present me with a boxed selection of 'Ealing Film' DVDs for my last birthday. These included 'Titfield Thunderbolt' and the proper version of the 'Ladykillers' with loads of A3s, V2s, etc. near Copenhagen tunnel.

13. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The laws are there it's just that the courts don't use the full sentences that they could.

14. lil Bear

lil Bear Part of the furniture

Railway Technician
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    More 'should use'.

15. 34045

34045 New Member

I heard that 4561's whistles had been stolen at Williton works. (Sorry if this has already been brought up-I havent read this thread properly.)

Regards
    Will

16. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    For the past two weeks we've had a helicopter over the village every evening for a couple of hours. Apparently it's Railtack's and is covering work on the Nuneaton Birmingham line. Presumably it's attempting to dissuade the local scroats from either stealing the cable and plant or attacking the contractors. The fuel bill must be enormous.

17. 50035_arkroyal

50035_arkroyal New Member

You meant to say Network Rail I think.

I think it was there to see if the ongoing engineering work at Rugby actually finished on time?!!

18. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    LOL - can't belive I typerd RT when I meant HR. I'd only just finished slagging off the press for putting RT in the article I got the news from. I must have OD'd on the Easter eggs. #-o

19. 5967

5967 New Member

Originally posted on the diesel pages but relevent here:

Interestingly the thieves only attacked vehicles containing diesel parts and found all of them!

From D5401

The Northampton & Lamport Railway is the last week has suffered from a visit from individual(s) who appear to have taken parts from locomotives only.

The list so far:-

- One brass works plate from a Ruston & Hornsby Shunter (only thing taken from that loco this is strange as the other brass/copper fittings were left.

- Various stored D&M valves from a storage vehicle

- A complete set of copper piping only (no fittings) for a Stones Vapor Steam heat generator

This is a strange robbery as the evidence tends to suggest this is a dim witted preservationist who thinks by left some well placed "pikey tools" they think we will put it down to them and a claim on the insurance.

The fact this person(s) only attacked locomotives and loco spares, broke into locomotives only and had this been a "Pikey" attack we would of lost so much more and incurred heavy damaged and so on.

I am not looking for sympathy but the return of our stolen parts.....

Please if anyone wish to sell you parts/pipework that sounds familliar to the above from what I can describe a "dodgy source" I would like to hear from you ASAP as this will cost thousands of pounds and many months of wasted effort to put right the parts/pipework stolen..

20. hunslet24

hunslet24 New Member

Propulsion/Airframe tech in the RAF
    RRm have been hit too, they have taken all the wagon depts W irons......probably for scrap value. Its bloody anoying as to replace them is going to cost a fortune.... ](*,) [-(