If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Those cut at Woodham's...

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 22A, Jan 17, 2009.

1. Reading General

Reading General Part of the furniture

does that mean 9466 is superheated then? If I recall correctly only the first 10 GWR built locos were so fitted.

2. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Don't recall that happening - some loco groups bought ex-steelworks chassis (Briton Ferry?) - the 73082 and 34059 groups may have been amongst them. The only tender that Woodhams bought was an ex-LBSCR one that was later bought and chopped about to look like a GWR one to go with the replica Dean Single at Windsor, it was subsequently scrapped but its wheelsets and axleboxes went to the Brighton Atlantic project ... (all iirc!)

Mikey D likes this.
  3. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Sorry, meant 9466 which did carry a 9404 identity for a while I think. Original post corrected. Notice the 9404 identity has already been mentioned. I think 9404 was a Reading engine which probably clouded my brain as well.

4. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    No - it was the other way round with tenders being sold by Woodhams to the steel works (more than one?) for further use. (except one SR tender which went into Woodhams ex BR departmental service).

The work worn remains of several tenders were on site at Briton Ferry steelworks on closure (late 1970's?) & clearing at the same time as 3 intact ex GWR loco cylinder blocks from scrapped locos were unearthed there. (one ex a 38xx now on 2857 & in use; one in store as a spare for 4150 ex a 61xx & one ex 61xx subsequently scrapped).

A couple of the tenders & some spare parts were saved but there is an overall shortage of some types of tender when compared with surviving locos without tenders. There is little information though as to which tenders actually went from Woodhams to further steel works use.

5. 6136

6136 Member

D6122 must be the most unlikely resident at Barry. These engines were Scottish for most of their life. Anyone now how it got to South Wales?

6. 73129

73129 Part of the furniture

Taken from the WNXX web site.

D6122 curiously found itself transferred to the Southern Region after withdrawal before being sold on to Woodham's at Barry for breaking where it lingered until mid 1980 becoming the last of the type to be disposed of.

http://www.wnxx.com/disposals/class21.htm

7. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for these replies.

8. gw driver

gw driver New Member

The boiler, although fitted to 9404 at one time, is now saturated - the tubeplates just supporting smoke tubes. There are no superheater flues.

Over the years 9466 has indeed masquaraded as 9404, but only for a few days maximum at a time. There were detailed differences between 9400-09 and the remaining members of the class, apart from the boiler. So if you know where to look on a photo it is possible to tell if the subject is the real 9404 or not.

It's a sobering thought but the next overhaul is only 18 months away!

Regards to all,

Bruce Murray