If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Threlkeld 2017

Discussion in 'Galas and Events' started by Sidmouth, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Nigel Day

Nigel Day Member

Steam loco engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The was the port class which where the larger locos like Jack Lane and Statfold. They worked in areas like the Port and bottom level in the quarry where there was no hight restrictions. The higher levels up the quarry where the level lines passed under the inclines and some small tunnels had hight issues. There locos could have cabs or not. These where the smaller locos like Holly War and Cloister. Of coarse since presivation it's the owners wish what cab they may or may not have. Note Statfold and Jack Lane are new builds.

Matt37401 likes this.
  2. Nigel Day

Nigel Day Member

Steam loco engineer
  3. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Morning all

One of my omissions has been to thank all of those involved from Martyn Ashworth who orchestrates the event , Ian, Dickon and Adam at Threlkeld, Henry and all involved from Statfold . The Hampshire Narrow Gauge Railway Trust for Cloister and West Lancs Light Railway for Irish Mail and all those who come up to spend the weekend supporting the event

Now the $2018 question . Any requests , loco's you would like to see , scenes we set . NG15 are too heavy before anyone asks

4. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    upload_2017-8-6_0-17-2.png

... or maybe a Joffre?

5. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    2018 represents the rend of WW1 so wouldn't a tribute to the Allies Military Railway / German Feldbahnen be a worthy theme ? I believe there are sufficient survivors from both systems within the UK to provide at least 6 locomotives - and possibly recreate military railways as something different in the "narrow gauge" theatre ?

6. Britfoamer

Britfoamer Well-Known Member

Chemist (semi-retired)
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Good shout that Fred, Beamish has had WW1 as a theme, including their 2 foot system, in 2015 and 2016. 2018 Threlkeld to finish the commemorations looks a good idea.
    I jokingly suggested at the event on Saturday articulated loco's from Wales for next year, firmly no way was the answer! The guy I spoke to suggested too heavy and the radius of the curves too tight in many places.

7. jonh

jonh New Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg Just got back from my holiday in the lakes and I would like to echo the positive comments made by other posters on the forum. I attended on the Sunday mornings and found this to be a brilliant event. If you get the chance go! It is well worth it. I would like to say a big thank you to all involved.

J

Last edited: Aug 7, 2017
    Tim Light likes this.