If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tin Bath 1/11/15

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, Oct 21, 2015.

1. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Excellent proving once again that on video steam in the landscape is the way to go

Military dont do this

2. Swiss Toni

Swiss Toni Well-Known Member

"Rileys Fives" at GRINDLEFORD in the Autumn sunshine.

3. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

S smaller.jpg
    Had yet another great day out with the RTC Tin Bath in mostly sunny and unexpected warm weather. Many thanks to all those who worked to make it possible.
    Mobile 'snap' here on arrival back in Manchester.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2015
    keith6233 likes this.
  4. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nice. Once I'd decided to have a day working on 34081 I just new the weather would come good for this.

5. neildimmer

neildimmer Resident of Nat Pres

6. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Just for a change - scenes from the train

DSC_7338.jpg DSC_7345.jpg DSC_7379.jpg

7. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

One of the best trips on the circuit in my view. Have done it once and would consider a repeat for that reason. A good route, the right motive power and not a lot to complicate things for NR either.

8. 83B

83B Member

Wow . Looks like a great tour. It is clear from Fred Kerr's photographs that window hanging is back. I am sure everyone acted responsibly and posed no threat to themselves or others. Bring it on!

alastair and LMarsh1987 like this.
  9. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    In fairness shots were taken on sharp curves; camera was held close to carriage sides and body was out for less than 10 seconds - or just enough time to take the shot. In the case of the shot below I can be seen taking the image at New Mills in the sequence at §32. Given the space available between the tracks I hung out further than normal and I apologise to anyone who thinks this is normal practice; it was simply knowing that the gap existed at that point.

Attached Files:

10. FlyingScotsman4472

FlyingScotsman4472 Member

More train in the landscape with this shot at Nether Booth,could have done with a little sign of exhaust but it is downhill here and a very mild first day of November I have to say .The autumn colours were just superb in the Hope Valley .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/10257146@N05/22691108761/
    Timeless shot! Nice one :)

Thank you John, appreciate your comment.Best wishes Simon

11. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

12. Swiss Toni

bit gutted about THIS one, the last time I used this location they were working hard.

13. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    where's that?

14. 61994

61994 Member

Shoddy127, sgthompson and Waterbuck like this.
  15. Waterbuck

Waterbuck Member

recken still a great shot sither

16. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    The Tin Bath 01 November 2015 – 44871 & 45407 hauling 10+2POBs

Mrs W and I arrived at a misty Preston station just in time to see 57601 heading southbound through the station; we wouldn’t be taking a “rear-gunner” to Manchester Victoria. On a perfectly calm morning wisps of steam drifted up between the carriages and hung around the locomotives giving a timeless feel.

RT we were away. Inquiries failed to reveal who was driving which engine but I was informed that there were four booked drivers: Ian Riley, Steve Chipperfield, Mick Kelly & Mick Rawlings and that Steve Chipperfield was also carrying out some assessments (!?). (At Brighouse Mick Kelly was on 44871 and Mick Rawlings on 45407).

Speed was worked up to 52 by Euxton Balshaw Lane and held at 51 on the climb up to Coppull; we peaked at 58 before arriving at Wigan NW. The fog persisted as we headed for Manchester, generally running a few minutes early resulted in us being stopped for 1 min before Salford Crescent and again for 3½ min at Salford Central, finally arriving at Man Vic 2L. In the last mile the fog had lifted and it was now a clear, sunny autumn morning.

We left RT and the fives were put to the task, in less than half a mile we were up to 21mph, this slowed as we threaded our way out of Manchester. By the time we reached Belle Vue we were up to 37 and peaked at 39 just beyond Reddish North, the sound through Brinnington (32) was tremendous. We stopped (5E) to take water from a tanker on the car park just before Romiley station; this was completed 3 mins before our scheduled departure time and we drew forward into the platform to be greeted by spectators 2 or 3 deep lining the full length of both platforms. RT we were off and accelerating hard up to 40 then slowing through Marple and accelerating again through Strines (31). We slowed for New Mill S Jn then back up to around 30-32 for the final part of the climb into Cowburn Tunnel. Out the other end and up to 57 through Edale, frequent braking kept our max to 62 on our descent. The scheduled 4 min stop at Hathersage was cut to 1 min. We stopped at Dore to allow a service to train to join in front of us and then again for 5 min outside Sheffield, finally coming to a halt in platform 1 (1L).

It was a glorious, warm and sunny afternoon as Mrs W and I strolled down to view the locos which were being watered from a tanker parked adjacent to the platform. We were away RT and arrived 1E at Wincobank Jn for a pathing stop, away RT speed was worked up to 32 by Chapeltown and 44 at Elsecar. We were checked running into Barnsley station (down to 7) and it appeared as though we would be stopped, then we were away. We took advantage of the short stretch of easier gradient and were up to 21 as we left the main line and curved sharply away left onto the steep (1/50) line to Huddersfield. Speed dropped to 8 as we joined the single track section. The locos dug in and we pounded up to 26 before easing to 13 for the bridge across the M1, back up to 27 by Dodworth and 36 at Silkstone Common; our max for the section. We were 8E for our first pathing stop at Penistone, the unit was late, causing us to depart 3L. Our second stop was at Stocksmoor, arr 3E, dep 1E. We were again early approaching Huddersfield and were held for 7 min before passing through the station and on to Brighouse (3L) for our final watering stop of the day.

Away RT on what is a rising gradient all the way to Summit Tunnel. By Sowerby Bridge we were cruising along at 45, Mytholmroyd (47), eased through Hebden Bridge (28/25). Hall Royd Junction was taken at 49 which increased to 50 as we turned left through Todmorden (and not straight on to Copy Pit and Darwen as originally planned). The fives could “scent home” as they powered up to 51 through Walsden and onto the final mile of the 1/182. Through the tunnel and then down towards Manchester. There were a couple of checks approaching Man Vic which culminated in us stopping in the platform 5L.

44871 & 45407 with their support coaches were detached and replaced by 57601. We left RT only to be baulked by a late running “all-stations stopper” all the way to Wigan, but there was sufficient slack in the timings to ensure we arrived RT at an even mistier Preston.

Highlights of the day: the weather, the autumn scenery, the flawless performance by Mr Riley’s locos but especially seeing the well organised and efficient way the locos were watered and coal brought forward etc by enthusiastic YOUNG men – this has to be the way forward! These young men should be proud of themselves as should Ian Riley; all steam enthusiasts, if they are not already, should be appreciative of the very professional manner in which he conducts his operation.

Thanks to everyone involved in organising and running the trip. It was over 50 years since I last travelled on the Hope Valley line (and even longer since I was in a tin bath – yes we did have one!). Mrs W says that we will be travelling on it again – but not in February!

17. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

SWMBO and I too had a very enjoyable day out with the Tin Bath although it was unfortunate that we were in the penultimate carriage. We heard only occasional faint grumbles from the Fives and the steam heating was rather erratic but we were on the sunny side and it was warm. The afternoon passed quickly as we enjoyed our lunch and a bottle or two. Just shows what can still be achieved without dragging a 57 around. We are looking forward to next year!

18. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Yes but remember on other tours you will not always have such reliable engines up front

19. Swiss Toni

Or such willing crews. :)

20. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Any of the mainline certified steam locomotive fleet can be maintained at a level that will ensure high reliability if the appropriate competencies and finances are available.