If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tin Bath 1/11/15

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, Oct 21, 2015.

1. andalfi1

andalfi1 Well-Known Member

Semi Retired.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    In which case 'Scotsman' will have no reason to cart a box round then ?

2. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Depends whether the load management arrangements dictate, in line with the FCP report recommendations? VT don't generally have rear assistance because the load is not excessive. The FCP report recommended a similar approach for FS.

andalfi1 likes this.
  3. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Yes, I am in the group of people who think that a higher ticket price so that the load can be less (and acceleration potentially quicker) with no diesel, except for essential shunting is the way to go. And with the Tin Bath, double heading makes sense as well, even if that also increases the ticket price.

26D_M and Enterprise like this.
  4. 26D_M

I'd agree but wouldn't rule out heavier assisted trains provided the purchaser is aware of the possibility or likelihood at the time tickets are bought. In most circumstances the relevant operational necessities will be known in advance, genuine last minute unforseen issues notwithstanding.
    From a loco conservation perspective being worked well within its capacity seems more desirable than being continuously at the limit.

andalfi1 likes this.
  5. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Which is why Bob Meanley's report was important in stating the loads that FS should be hauling once released to main line service. That said there may be good operational reasons to attach a diesel locomotive either for heating purposes or - more likely - shunting manoeuvres at terminal points of charter stages.

Edit 06/11/15 : Having just found this whilst searching something else I thought this link might prove useful for further information :

http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/abo...~/media/33CDC07ED88345BEA5412F91D8742D45.ashx

Last edited: Nov 6, 2015
  6. Ian Riley

Ian Riley Part of the furniture Loco Owner

Ah, I see.......well they must all have "appropriate competencies and finances", otherwise they would not have made it to 'Mainline' registration?......are we missing something else here?

7. 26D_M

Quite so Fred, there is about 4.2 million reasons why the wise words in that report ought not to be overlooked too often! One hopes a good balance between conserving the loco and getting a return can be struck, especially with so much public interest at stake.
    The FCP report link @nrm is no longer active btw.

8. Monopodmansdad

Monopodmansdad New Member

Video of them at edge of dark nearing Todmorden filmed by son, Monopodman. Original video of the tour and promoted on here, on page 2, is 9 minutes long and with positive feedback about the night shot, we've put a 1 minute 25secs video of it here.

981smithy, ragl and 2J66 like this.
  9. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Excellent clip just proves how reliable those engines are.They must have recorded more miles mainline in Britain this year than any others.

Waterbuck likes this.
  10. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

You should know. You know far more about these matters than me but there must be reasons why some mainline locomotives are less reliable than others.

Thanks for the Tin Bath; it was a good trip.

11. 26D_M

Can't really see how your first post could be misconstrued, it seemed justifiably complementary. Self evidently suitability, competent management and adequate resources are the foundation of reliable machinery. These are perpetual minimum requirements, something which reliability records bear testament to. The difference between adequacy and excellence in terms of diligence will always be shown up, long term.