If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Top Gear strikes again?

Discussion in 'Diesel & Electric Traction' started by Foxhunter, Jul 14, 2011.

1. tomparryharry

tomparryharry Member

Renewable Energy
    Now, if the scum class caravan was fouling the other line, via a crossover, how did the peak/class 40 get the road? I can't imagine a Pway trolley being under the caravan, as it would be very dangerous indeed.

Ian

2. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    It was a Peak and as for "how did it get the road?" Just about anything is possible when you're filming a TV programme.

3. Coboman

Coboman Member

I expect the caravan had been shorn of its chassis and placed fouling the line so the buffer of the peak struck it.

4. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Regarding the speeds claimed by Mr.Clarkson, don't forget that the GC is cleared for 75mph running for test purposes. This fact, plus it's double rack meant that this stunt could not have been filmed anywhere else and highlights the Great Central's unique selling point when looking to attract this sort of business. Overall, great publicity for the GC and heritage railway's in general and superb Sunday night entertainment. Best Top Gear for a long time and Top Gear has been very supportive of Heritage Railways over the years. Yes it is OTT, yes Clarkson is an arrogant idiot, but Top Gear wouldn't be right or nearly as successful if it were any different! Please don't take it too seriously! I'm sure I read somewhere that it is one of the few BBC programmes that returns a significant profit.

As an aside, that Nissan GTR they tested at the start is one heck of a machine. Any money you saved by buying it instead of the Jag would be spent in paying speeding fines!

1 person likes this.
  5. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Digging up an old thread here but if anyone wants to see a Class 45 crashing into a caravan.............

View attachment 4785

The caravan was clearly placed so that just the buffer of the Peak struck it and it barely clipped it rather than actually collided with it.