If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

TORBAY EXPRESS 2009

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by leander, Feb 20, 2009.

1. leander

leander Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    the july dates should be interesting the motive power shoul be 60163 roll on whiteball & churston

2. JANE-RAISBOROUGH

JANE-RAISBOROUGH New Member

yes this year torbay express's should be good again looking forward too them,
    4 in a row will be hard work for the crews with wash outs ect for 60163 men to fit in between runs:-k

3. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

I wonder if anyone from the 6024 or 34067 support crews would like to comment on this? Four Sundays on the trot is a significant commitment, but being based in the same place for all runs, close to the starting point, having a well-established routine (built up over previous Torbay seasons), and with a reasonable amount of time between outward and return runs, I would have thought it's not too onerous. With light engine moves, etc, the total mileage in the day is around 250 miles... I'm not suggesting for a moment that it's easy, but it's probably not the hardest work taken on by modern support crews.

4. JANE-RAISBOROUGH

it not just the runs too take in to account like i said it the wash out the servicing
    the work needed for the fittness to run test lighting up and the fact that the crews have there week day jobs to do,
    as well ,

5. The Crimson Pirate

The Crimson Pirate Member

It's a good setup. Like you say, not too taxing on the support crew which is good and the routine generally takes the "unknown" out of it. Facilities at Paginton & Barton Hill are good and now Axiom have kindly dug out the pit on Road 1 in Bristol things should be even easier for disposal, ftr's etc. It'll be nice to see Tornado on the runs and hopefully go on one behind her.

6. No.7

No.7 Well-Known Member

I have to say I booked for two of these run as soon as they were announced by Andy. I very much enjoy the TE with 6024 and am very much looking forward to 5029 (fingers crossed) but the prospect of 60163 is indeed mouth-watering. The TE is an excellent trip, it’s a real ‘turn’ very much as would have been worked in days gone by. The combination of fast level sections and hill climbing makes this itinerary pretty much perfect. If these tours don’t sell out fast I’ll be very surprised.

Having some good benchmarks with 6024 and 34067 over the last few years we’ll see how 60163 compares.

7. Alex

Alex Well-Known Member

Student
    I know how i would feel if i was part of the 6024 team, all the years of hard work for the Torbays etc.

Alex

8. The Crimson Pirate

The Crimson Pirate Member

Glad of a few weeks off... ;-)
    I'm turning my mobile off now

9. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Tornado is a great novelty for some guest appearances, and I hope to travel behind her, but 6024 must be the sitting tenant, as a loco that belongs to be on this route. I hope that she gets the lion's share of the work, and aim to book one of her trips as well.

John

10. JANE-RAISBOROUGH

look forward to seeing you pop back to surport coach kitchen and say hi john
    jane \:D/

11. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Running this job is no picnic - it is a long day on the Sunday & with saturday taken up + midweek time it is quite a commitment. Without local support crew members it would be very difficult. Most passengers probably have no concept of the amount of work involved. However for the number of runs involved it is much less hassle than a similar number of one offs. Even in the first season it started to benefit by getting into a routine. (veteran crew member from 2003/4/5 - 7802 & 60009 - and missing it!).