If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Torbay Express' 2014

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by free2grice, Jul 3, 2014.

1. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

5029 definitely had the performance of the Day;).

2. Western Venturer

Western Venturer Well-Known Member

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Saw the train at Dawlish..heres my video..not my best day looking through the view-finder but it was a day out,not just for the Torbay...

Spamcan81 likes this.
  3. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Celebrated last year as well (R70). Unfortunately had a box then though.

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Starting at 1.50 someone managed to shoot about 30 stills in just under 10 seconds, I wonder if they go a decent shot???:rolleyes:

5. lickeybanker

lickeybanker Well-Known Member

Retired
  6. GWR_through_and_through

GWR_through_and_through New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    We desperately need some rain in the SW for this Sundays' Torbay. I don't want a repeat of yesterdays' trip with 5029.

7. lickeybanker

Retired
    What happened yesterday then Shirley ?

8. lickeybanker

Retired
    What happened yesterday then Shirley ? No problems with this one on Sunday
    DSC04057a.jpg

9. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

We already know that VT/WCR negotiated strongly for the Shakespeare to run without a minder on the basis of their track record. It seems that NR has a heart after all (and probably also a black book listing the worst offenders that actually seem to often be north of Birmingham.). Sorry - that's a fact rather that a 'pop' at anyone in particular.

Drysdale and mike1522 like this.
  10. Not a good day yesterday Lickybanker! 5029 had diesel assistance which I can fully understand, but not to be able to work at all.... I saw her on the return aswell as in other places and the ultimate indignity was to see this fine Castle come up past me on Evershot Bank being pushed like hell by the class 33 on the back. She was just there for decoration. Turned out to be a class 33 tour! I want to have some rain in the SW beforew Sunday so that 5029 can once again show her mettle on The Torbay unhindered by diesel traction.

11. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Well the current five day forecast does predict rain from Friday, but more showery rather than constant. I guess it all depends on what happens Fri / Sat as any decision would need to be made before the morning of the tour.

Personally, while I hate this latest kind of "dieselisation" where the steam loco turns up merely as a token piece of decoration, I'd rather that than there be a fire, possible damage, and a blanket ban imposed, which long term would be a lot more damaging to everyone.

We're back to the whole question of whether it's worth running steam during July / August at all it seems, a question that seems insurmountable.

12. malc

malc Part of the furniture

At the risk of repeating what has been said several times before, if the promoters decided not to plan tours in July and August, you can bet that Sod's Law will dictate that we have the wettest summer on record and an Indian Summer in Spetember and October!

13. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Possible yes, but unlikely I would argue, given the current trend. I guess it all comes down to how much goodwill is lost as a result of diesel assistance, cancellation etc, and we are not privy to that information.

14. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Spamcan81 likes this.
  15. GWR_through_and_through

GWR_through_and_through New Member

That is quite the stupidest thing I have heard in a while! That aside, I imagine there is some loss of goodwill when there has to be diesel assistance bearing in mind of course that the vast majority of general punters are not specifically 'steam' fans and are happy as long as the tour runs as advertised. Promoters won't knock July and August trips on the head as that is one of their busiest times of the year as well as the pre xmas trips etc. I guess we will just have to hope that the forecast rain on Fri and Sat materialises and that its not just a couple of paltry showers!

16. free2grice

Have a peep at the link ...... it was a joke.

Welcome back Shirley. Keep smiling. ;) <BJ>

EveningStar92220 likes this.
  17. burmister

burmister Member

NR cannot be blamed for being careful, the rain has been very local. They have to provide as reliable network as possible. Gatwick Airport was disrupted and trains through Hove stopped due to power failures and Worthing station subway flooded to waist deep yesterday - yet along in Chichester only a few drops. So any steam train working hard down the BML and along the Westcoastway would be ok on the BML but not to the west. The Soil Moisture Deficits are high at the moment so the ground drys out in 24/48 hours as well.

Will Mrs and Mrs normal family off to the seaside mind if a diesel helps up the hills? I suspect not as long as they see steam on the buffers at Weymouth or wherever.

Brian

18. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
  19. No I totally agree they have to be cautious and i'm all for that, and you say Mr & Mrs normal on a day out don't care one way or another I suspect, but it was a sad sight to see a great engine on Sunday reduced tositting there looking pretty whilst we were 'treated' to the sight and sound of a 33 shoving full belt. To my mind there was absolutely no need to have the thing notched up that high. The word used is 'assisting!'

20. free2grice

When the train departed from Keynsham on Sunday evening there were still quite a few passengers sat in the last coach next to the diesel. The noise must have been deafening as the train was shoved towards Bristol. I'm sure that I would have moved to a coach away from the diesel well before the train had reached Bristol. <BJ>