If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Torbay Expresses 2017

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1020 Shireman, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As Clan Line is not a regular performer on the EC or WCML its probably not necessary, there is a maintenance penalty to pay for all that motion thrashing around at an extra 15 mph.

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    Not comparable at all but on GBX, 34052 and 46100 took the train up to Whiteball at 75, running into the tunnel at 70 after a minimum of 66.5. It was effortless, as was the 59 in the other direction.

3. CLN_WVR

CLN_WVR Member

Clan Line near Newton St Loe and at Dawlish on Sunday

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

Maybe, but it wouldn't be doing 90 for sustained periods, unlike the Bittern trips.

Allowing legitimate max above 75mph may help engine management, avoid niggling and unnecessary brake applications to keep to the 75 limit.

On the Torbay the only places would be Bruton and Langport, then down from Whiteball.

On the up it would only really be down Whiteball and possibly down through Witham.

As ever its haste rather than speed. Sorting the approach control at Blatchbridge Jn would save far more time than 90mph beforehand!

Remember DoG beat 60009's EXD to TAU start stop time with a legal run, equally hard up the bank, by virtue of faster start and finish, despite 60009's high speed on the descent.

5. Groks212

Groks212 Member

Are you sure about that? I've not seen any official announcement from the A1 trust to say it's been approved yet.

Dave B

6. Big Al

From the autumn, I thought, and it will only be where it creates pathing opportunities that would not normally be available. So I'm guessing that the ECML will see the first fast path. Something like the Tees-Tyne in October possibly? But as @Sean Emmett implies, on the Torbay route it's not really necessary to keep time and in the path that is given.

7. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Really interesting having another Class 8 on the Westbury Version of the TBE. It's becoming a classic run for high performance and well worth getting out of bed early for.

The run I mentioned earlier in this thread, 12th July 2015, was simply because I had it on a spreadsheet on my computer so it was 'in my face' as it were. I didn't think it was was close to the best but it had a few surprises buried in it. Clan Line's figs are in brackets. The Exeter-Whiteball Summit time of Tornado was 18m 43s (19m 08s); slower through Exeter 43(49); quicker pick up: Cowley Bridge Jn 53(51); Stoke Canon 62(60); Hele and Bradnich 69(63); Cullompton 72(68); Tiv Jn 68(67); similar 'top' of the bank: Tiv Pky 71(69); Burlescombe 61(61); Summit MP174 59(58).

Interestingly Tornado hit the start of the climb to Somerton Tunnel, mp131 at 71, the same as Clan Line, but had dropped to 63 at the tunnel entrance. The climb to Brewham was quite different but yielded the same result: Castle Cary 68(73); mp127(1in98) 68(71); Bruton 66(69); then made a stronger finish to the climb; mp125 65(66); mp123 62(61); and Brewham 60(60).

Like Sean I was seriously impressed with the performance of Clan Line on Sunday. The sound from the front on the return climbs was truly deafening at times. Coming up Whiteball there was a distinct change in pitch just after Tiverton Parkway and I'd never heard anything quite like it. Literally a hairs standing up on the neck moment. I did the South Yorkshireman on 15th October 1988 and I think it battered the Hatton Climb for sound and that really is saying something. Couldn't believe it was over 9 years since I last rode behind 35028. Pity No9 isn't on the last TBE on 10th September as the A4 really seems to be going really well. Wouldn't that have been fun!!!

By the way, I was reliably informed that from TAU on the return journey, Matt Hunt, fireman from Paignton, was 'driving under supervision', with the redoubtable Tommy Rees the TI. Our driver from Paignton, Steve Mathews took over the firing.

8. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Was getting ahead of myself. Tornado ran at 100mph as precursor to raising the running speed to 90mph. Must not have been signed off just yet.

9. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

So did I, and whilst my bank balance may be poorer with the hundred or so steam trips I've done since, my life has been considerably richer for the experience.

Back to the Torbay Express, the 11/09/2016 with 60163 + 12 had the edge over its 12/07/15 trip on Whiteball eastbound with a minimum of 62 but, as Mazeppa has reminded me, was not as good up Brewham and indeed eased up at the bridge before the summit.

10. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Yikes, just looked back and realised we've done 788 trips since then!! Sort of an addiction really having missed the 'steam age'. Not looking for a cure!

Never did find out what the easing on Brewham was all about on 11/9 last year. Wondered if it was due to a bit of priming.

Looking forward to the 10th as the last of the year have always entertained. Would have liked to do 35028 on the 3rd but the Duchy had a greater pull. Hope we see 35028 back on a TBEs next year. Pity the Duchy is out of the question...

11. free2grice

free2grice Part of the furniture Friend

Retired Rolls-Royce engineer
    Would anyone happen to have the passing speed at Keynsham of the return TE on Sunday (20th) please. I filmed the train and was amazed at the speed it passed. The firebox door must have been open as the fire illuminated the loco's exhaust. As the rain was pouring down about ten of us were huddled under an overbridge to keep our cameras dry. The clip is less than a minute long but I must have watched it 50 times. Happy days. TIA. <BJ>

12. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

I made it 74 mph from GPS, with a max of 75 just after.

free2grice likes this.
  13. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

OK as I had the template set up I thought I'd type up my log of Clan Line's run the Torbay Express before finishing Tornado's run on the Towy Tornado.

Outward log attached.

Attached Files:

14. Sean Emmett

Sean Emmett Member

And the return. Need to check gradients and do some horsepower calcs.

Attached Files:

15. horace

horace Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
  16. 6H22

6H22 New Member

Thanks for sharing the logs Sean. Can we say that this is the best climb of Brewham eastbound with steam? I seem to recall Tornado doing something special on this climb with a heavy load a few years ago though... What with 35028's astonishing effort run up Savernake some twenty years ago and now this on Brewham, it has certainly stamped its authority on this line - in the London direction at least...

17. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I remember a run behind a Bulleid some time in the 1980s where we went through Warwick at about 20 mph and accelerated all the way up Hatton bank; but I couldn't remember what run that one that was. However I was on that 'South Yorkshireman' so I think that probably was it. I would love a sound recording if anyone has one.

18. Big Al

It looks like a wet day for Clan Line tomorrow. But there is the rare event of two steam charters in the same place as The Royal Duchy sits in Tiverton Loop while the Torbay Express runs by.

5MT likes this.
  19. dublo6231

dublo6231 Member

IT
    Weather is thoroughly miserable with rain and strong winds down here at mo, thoughts are with the driver and firemen in conditions like these. Best of luck to both crews.

20. GWR

GWR Member

Inventory Planner
    Clan Line stormed up Goodrington Bank in the heavy rain today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk