If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado/A1LT/UKR Kings X/Chesterfield Sat 13th August

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by alastair, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Yep.

2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I won't go into detail about yesterday as I'm pretty certain that the run will appear in Heritage Railway at some point, if not elsewhere. What amazed me was the apparent ease with which it all happened and that's not to ignore the fact - @Shoddy127 ;) - that you need someone on one side of the footplate to provide the means for the person on the other side to demonstrate the skill in achieving it.

This trip had spare seats on it possibly because of the other steam charters competing for customers yesterday and there may also be a view amongst a few that Tornado does not provide the (audible) spectacle of other locomotives. But this was easily the best trip out of London and if you were where I was all day in a seat nearest to the loco behind the support coach then any view of 'ordinary' would almost certainly have been dispelled. The climb from Grantham to Stoke was absolutely spectacular with full Kylchap blast and even though Tornado was eased near the tunnel we were still over the top at 56. We had been slotted into a gap between a Leeds and an Edinburgh service. Fortunately for us, the Edinburgh train called at Peterborough and given the speed of our ascent and descent we were just able to keep ahead of it until our booked slow line path at Huntingdon. As a result, we bowled along at 75 ish for approaching half an hour. Anyway, to be able to run non stop for 77 minutes on the ECML is somewhat unusual. And bearing in mind the slow line approach at Huntingdon and also the speed restriction because of a bridge in the Biggleswade/Sandy area to have also run this leg inside even time was remarkable.

I don't know whether Network Rail was feeling generous on pathing. I don't know whether Control had been reassured by the TOC that we could run the leg to Huntingdon in about 40 minutes and keep ahead of the Virgin service. Either way, it was one of those runs that you would be sorry to have missed, if that kind of thing interests you. But actually, even if it doesn't "the sound of the engine's whistle and the smoke drifting passed the window" did more than "evoke the memories of a bygone age of steam travel" (with apologies to SD). It demonstrated that with the right locomotive (and a few alternatives are also available) steam can fit on our main line network and get quickly from A to B without holding anything up or spending most of its time in loops.

With the turn of the LMS today, let's hope things go equally well on the York trip.

3. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    Great day out that we would have done if the Pride of Swindon hadn't been let loose on the North and West. Why on earth aren't more trains run over it?
    Out of interest, has Tornado ever taken such a lightweight load over the ECML? We've only ever done it with 12 or 13.

4. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

The only disappointment for me was that the whole train was sent round the Sheffield loop, so we were near the back in both directions and could hear the loco only occasionally. Oh, and I missed seeing the Duchess: I knew she was due into the Cross shortly after our ECS would have left but I hadn't thought of looking out for her as we approached the end of our trip. But in all other respects it was a great day out.

Besides the aforementioned factors allowing the recovery of almost all the time lost at Grantham, another one was that the reason for stopping at Peterborough would have been to change guards but the new one had joined us at Grantham.

5. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Wonder when the last non stop between Grantham and Stevenage took place? I checked my records, and it is the longest non stop steam run I've done this year by about half a mile. GB IX had an unexpected clear run from Aviemore to Perth, followed by 75 miles Lockerbie to Oxenholme Lake District on the same day.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2016
  6. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes very true and hopefully it will get better and maybe back to the very fast times of a few years ago. It could if the train planners trust the big class 8s as NR train control did yesterday.

7. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Yes Al it will be in HR 220. We ran the 30 miles between mileposts 96 and 66 at an average of 75.36 mph. I think we also had adverse sigs approaching Stevenage as we accelerated again after the check and before the stop. That wonderful flight past Peterborough made it for me

Harry Stanger likes this.
  8. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

It also demonstrated the case for 90 mph for a few of the top locos. That would have helped convince train control on pathing

MellishR likes this.
  9. Bulleid Pacific

A Thingy...
    Regarding 90mph, it is definitely a case of it would if it could. If the owner consents and NR are obliging for the traction inspector to use discretion, this could be a useful option. How this would be reflected in FTRs is beyond me, but presumably it would be something similar to those undertaken on 'Bittern'.

10. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

Nothing that can't be overcome I am sure. Yesterday was exactly a situation when it would have been useful. Perhaps the issue of trust also comes into this. DBC have a very good record

11. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    The issue for NR on the 90mph running is that it causes extra wear on the rails. I can't see it happening with Tornado unless it had 10/11 coaches max. The same reason freight only runs at 75mph is due to it's heavy loads.

12. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

I am suggesting that it could be discretionary depending on circumstances. We only had 11 on yesterday and a 29 ( 31 at the RTT timing point) late start. We were very fortunate that 1E22 the 1600 Edinburgh to KX was 2 late past Grantham but it still caught us around Tallington costing it about 2 minutes, which it all but made up at the Peterborough stop. If we had been running at 90 mph and not 75 then we would have been about 1 minute 30 seconds faster to pass Tallington and probably would not have delayed it all. There are many more FTLs than the few Steam charters that would be affected.

13. 16Ventnor

16Ventnor Member

Retired
    Well I guess it's all been said but I would like to add my thanks to everyone , crews, NR, the A1 trust and all who made yesterday one of those days that will keep me smiling for a long time. Wendy and I were lucky to be also in the coach behind the support and therefore had the beautiful noise ringing in our ears all day and I must agree with someone else that what was the icing was that thunder through Peterborough; unforgettable. I was surprised not to see several well known timers and friends on this one. Would I be right to assume Grantham to Stevenage attained even time?

14. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

There were lots of counter attractions on the main line yesterday and maybe the market is saturated.

Yes 77 minutes 01 seconds for the 77.83 miles. Net time possibly around 72 minutes.

15. Where's Mazeppa?

Where's Mazeppa? Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Its great to read the generally more up-beat tenor of the posts on this thread relating to the quality of the ECML path available on this occasion and the prospects that this has enabled (and ultimately delivered, it seems) for more purposeful 8P performances along the southern end of the ECML. I can only echo the hope expressed that things will continue to improve (or at the very least that the improvement that the Robin Hood schedule demonstrated will be maintained).

We won't have too long to find out, either. Tornado's next-but-one A1SLT-promoted trip will be the 8th October Magna Carta KGX-Lincoln outing, featuring the same two pick-up points (PBR/ SVG) as the Robin Hood itinerary last Saturday, so directly comparable. I take to heart Big Al's assessment that "it was one of those runs that you would be sorry to have missed, if that kind of thing interests you" (Post 62 above). Well, I was, and it does!! So I'm looking forward to some serious consolation when the paths for 8th October are published!!

Last edited: Aug 15, 2016
  16. Wayne

Wayne New Member

Before anyone gets to carried away with upping the max speed of steam loco's from 75mph.
    Any train carrying a portable headlight is restricted to 75mph.
    That's regardless if it is a steam loco, diesel loco, electric loco, HST or Eurostar.
    Network rail rule book.
    Bitten had to have fixed lamps fitted to it for the 90mph runs.

Adam-Box likes this.
  17. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Tornado has fixed headlights, doesn't it?

18. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

No

Peter in Manchester

19. Yorkshire Exile

Yorkshire Exile Member

Codger and retired trustee of A1SLT
    I doubt you would get them off without a tool kit!

20. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Clan Line does but I don't know whether the high intensity of them meets the standard that NR requires. I suspect not but anyway, there are definitely no plans for Clan Line to run at 90 mph any time soon even though it would be nice to feel she could be allowed to run on when the gradient makes sense for her so to do.