If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Leander's Shovel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

At the moment it's the mainline from Zbaszyn to Zbasznyek, and into Leszno Station / Roundhouse, there is no Poznan service.
    There's also only 2 operational, and 1 "poorly" locomotive to pick from.
    Maybe they need the Tornado effect in Poland ?

2. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Im sure that amongst all the other Headline grabbing Achievements that 60163 has done a European tour might happen one day.
    Figure you can run standard guage from Poland in the North to Venice in the South ? or at least as far as Meiningen...

3. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

LOL!

You can just see the operational notes for such a trip:-

Water stop at Szczecin.

Water and coal at Halle

New boiler at Meiningen.

Wink!

4. class8mikado

oh thats so not nice...
    "Its like this see, Ize sets em up and youze knocks em down...."

1 person likes this.
  5. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

if a way could be found to allow Tornado to go through the tunnel in light steam hauled by one of the electric locos i think that it could be a very benificial thing for the A1 trust to look into a mainline run across europe .
    I would think that our continental friends would jump at the chance of a run using this icon of british engineering in their own country do Mk 1s have continental clearance to run, the loading gauge isnt a problem , or better still hire the VSOE pulmans and do it in style

6. class8mikado

Yes the VSOE pullmans,, the support crew will need a decent 'wagons-lit';

7. martin butler

how much do you think the tickets would be ? lets see London Victoria to the tunnel electric pilot to the french side then steam to Paris then a french 3 day tour(for locals) before heading to berlin and Poland

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Why tow it through the tunnel ?, it's Boiler has safely crossed the channel by boat 3 times now.

Additionally I suspect running Tornado in France will be harder and less viable than if Tornado was certified for German railways and thus making acceptence to run in Luxembourg, Holland, Germany, Poland, Czech, Hungary, Slovakia and Austria more easier... and increasing the revenue potential of a European adventure.

I'd have no doubt that in just Germany alone Tornado would financially do very well... the costs of mainline steam trip organisation are cheaper (circa 10k euro), but the tour revenue is on par to the UK, Poland is circa 3k euro for a day trip with stock though the customers with money would need to also be imported... but could drive it as well.
    There are several well known steam gala's across europe each summer (Luzna, Czech; Wolsztyn, Poland; Chabowka, Poland, Bratislava, Slovakia; Budapest, Hungary; Dordrecht, Holland; Ampflwang, Austria; plus many many locations across Germany, & Switzerland) which would welcome Tornado as a star attraction.

9. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Howard would be ready to run driver experience sessions sith her, Poznan to Lesno.......

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Or the whole way to Gdansk !! (I did it with 5521 at high speed (upto 56mph)- well high speed for a Prarie anyway,.. fantastic)...linespeed is 80-100mph in parts.

11. martin butler

As Tornado is certified by DBS does that mean its already part the way there to being approoved , as DB would no dought have a europe wide safety case? it could be taken over by low loader and go direct to what ever preserved depot that would be able to service it and act as a base for main line operations , could she run with german stock ? whats the couplers buckeye or same as over here?

12. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Tornado should be arriving at Grosmont any minute after being delayed again by the copper fairies near Eaglescliffe.

I do seem to recall that part of the approval regeme for 60163 has involved registration under EU Rolling Stock regulations - I can't recall the exact wording. However, I am sure there would be acceptance issues in each country it was due to run in.

The main issue is that most if not all countries have versions of AWS and TPWS - all different from each other and the UK! The German AWS is fitted alongside the running rails, not between them and isn't (currently) compulsory on lines with maximum speeds under a limit I can't remember, although a fatal crash last year on such a line will probably change this.

Continential Stock is almost universally air brake and screw coupled unless in permanent formations and hence having auto-couplers of the common types. I have not come across use of the buckeye at all i nEurope but would not claim sufficient knowledge to say it is never used.

Steven

13. Dan Hill

Dan Hill Part of the furniture

Brick Machine Operator
    Meiningen would be a good base should she go abroad. I thought a plan was to take the loco there at somepoint as a thank you for building the boiler. Can't remember if David Elliot said it in the Heritage Railway Tornado Bookzine or in the Tornado 21st Century Steam book.

14. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

60009 came mightily close to doing a European tour not so long ago, with only lack of £ scuppering it. If an A4 can get approval i'm sure Tornado could.

15. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

I've mostly seen screw link coupling.
    5521 ran without modification, though it needed an air pump fitting.
    Best way to describe eastern Europe is..how our railways used to be in the 1980s
    If you have the chance, I highly recommend an afternoon trains spotting at Budapest Keleti.. Seeing many international trains arrive, remarshal with shunters, release locos to shed, return stock and see what locomotive ends on front can be very interesting.. Especially as the electrics are blue with yellow ends, blue grey stock etc..

I digress somewhat...

Tornado would not have much problem with stock in Europe..old or modern

16. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

I bet the French authorities would refuse to let her run until she had been submitted for inspection by at least seven different French public bodies. Even then, at least twenty other public bodies would have power of appeal against any decision to approve. All the inspections would have to take place on site in France but "mais non, mon dieu" there would be no question that she could travel there by rail.........

17. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Eastern Europe is a great place to go to see "real trains" with locos and carriages being shunted around, and even France still have long double headed 20 coach expresses that need to be shunted at their destination, where have lost all this.

18. Lewisb06

Lewisb06 Member

Work for Big railway
    I do find it rather odd that she is not being used for 2 days. And as for the reason being "rest days"....find that hard to believe....
    So there does not seem any requirement to maximise the revenu then?...

19. osprey

osprey Resident of Nat Pres

semi-retired, currently doing R&D for my patents
    Apparently has not been passed to NYMR regs yet.............

20. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Message just received for immediate release from NYMR General Manager Philip Benham:

"I apologise again for the disappointment the non-appearance of ‘Tornado’ on Thursday 26th May, due to the late arrival on NYMR caused by the repeated cases of signal cable theft between Northallerton and Middlesbrough. Following completion of our acceptance procedures and examinations, I am pleased to confirm that the engine will be working services in line with the published schedule from Saturday 28 May onwards. These include the two ‘pie and pea’ evening excursions on Monday 30th and Tuesday 31st May along the Esk Valley Line from Grosmont to Battersby on which seats are still available. ‘Tornado’ is booked to work trains daily from Saturday 28th May to Wednesday 1st June, and again Saturday 4th/Sunday 5th June. If it proves possible to expand on this programme we will update the NYMR Website"

Steven