If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Leander's Shovel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. S.A.C. Martin

S.A.C. Martin Part of the furniture

Asset Engineer (Signalling), MNLPS Treasurer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I don't think there is much doubt that the failure was down to a lubrication delivery issue. Why this happened - wait for the report.

I rather think it is simpler than anticipated - and gives us all further potential for putting in compliance to prevent similar failures in future.

Caveat of course - I am not a locomotive engineer, just an interested observer.

MellishR, Jerr Grey and andalfi1 like this.
  2. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No I do not currently volunteer
    It seems that @D1796 needs just a few facts to help him get up to speed on this business.
    1. The A1ST has said that the only difference the higher speed made was to bring on the failure earlier than might otherwise have been the case but it would probably have happened anyway, eventually. Of course, whether it should have happened at all is an entirely separate point.
    2. The reason that the A1ST gives for the approval for higher speed running is that it provides greater flexibility in the pathing of Tornado on the ECML in particular because the computer modelling then works with a different input value. Just how much flexibility that really creates is obviously for experts to judge.
    3. You are right that there is an element of 'showing off' with the 90 mph authorisation in that Tornado was approved to do something that no other locomotive was permitted to do. That's not to say that other locomotives are not just as capable of the same pace, if necessary. Whether their owners would see any wisdom in doing so is, again, an entirely separate matter.
    And on the David Ward 'overloading' business, the A1ST went through a period of 'trials of strength' with the locomotive. Shap, Ais Gill, Beattock, Drumochter, to set new records. It could be argued that A1s are actually quite good at power on hills rather than speed on the flat where I suggest Sir Nigel Gresley had that one covered. But as far as I am aware, I thought that this whole speed business was to make life more straightforward on the ECML in particular that does benefit from a generally amenable gradient profile anyway.

3. Hermod

Hermod Member

417 tons at 90 mph is much more power and stress than 600 at 60.
    It could raise debate level if all readers here had acces to a simple calculating program that gives power(kW) as function of train mass (rolling friction),train length(air resistance),speed,acceleration and gradient.
    Anybody want to join the fun?

4. S.A.C. Martin

I would be interested to see your working out for that, actually.

Beyond my grasp of maths but I'd be certainly interested in the calculations.

5. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    As a non engineer this may be a bit naive but surely when a loco is working the main stresses are going to be on the bits that transmit power, pistons, coupling and connecting rods big ends crank axle etc. The bit that seized was the the valve which I would think would be under almost the same load whether doing 50 or 100mph and failed lubrocation would have the same effect at any speed

Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
    Sheff and S.A.C. Martin like this.
  6. LMS2968

LMS2968 Part of the furniture

Lecturer retired: Archivist of Stanier Mogul Fund
    I wouldn't get too hung up about rolling resistance with coaching stock; on a freezing day with goods wagons fitted with 'fat' boxes, yes, but coaching stock has a very low rolling resistance. The difference between plain and roller bearings isn't great, although I don't have the figures to hand. And rolling resistance is constant irrespective of speed.

Aerodynamic resistance is a different matter altogether and rises pretty much with the square of velocity, but has no correlation with weight (number of vehicles is a factor, not the number of axleboxes). By the time you're doing 60 mph, the resistance offered by the axleboxes is, by comparison and for all practical purposes, negligible.

S.A.C. Martin likes this.
  7. S.A.C. Martin

So - as I initially suspected - Mr Ward is over egging the pudding again?

8. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

Its going to be fun when the final report is released!

No, I don’t have any more information that anyone else.

9. Big Al

OK. Back of an envelope.
    Tornado maintains 90 mph up a 1 in 300 over 9 miles with a load of 417 tons (12 vehicles). DBHP around 2400.
    Tornado maintains 60 mph up a 1 in 300 over 9 miles with a load of 600 tons (17 vehicles). DBHP around 1700.

Chalk and cheese.

240P15 and Jerr Grey like this.
  10. Hermod

Hermod Member

Thank You for joining the educational project but maybe we should start a new subject.

11. 30567

30567 Part of the furniture Friend

OK so Mallard accelerates a train of x tonnes from 75mph to 126 mph max over 8 miles down a gradient of 1 in 200 --- implied DBHP ??
    What is the predicted speed after 8 miles of level track at the same DBHP and all else constant?

I guess 110.

12. W.Williams

W.Williams Well-Known Member

Mechanical Engineer
    This is madness, we’ve all been over this a thousand ways and back again.

Overloaded? Historical precedent says other wise.

The failure from any engineering perspective could have happened at anything above dead zero, it just would have taken longer.

A seized valve will always find the next weakest link in the valve train. The slim combi bar was a prime victim.

As for showing off? Lower the dosage pal. A1SLT, network rail, the traction inspectors, the drivers, everyone would have to be “showing off” and from what iv seen every one of these parties has displayed, and continues to display the highest levels of professionalism.

It was an unfortunate engineering failure IMHO,the root cause of which is in all probablity identified.

The subsequent failure of the combi lever was inevitable, and not anyone’s fault. Ever played with a paper clip for too long?

Attributing or apportioning blame serves the interests of the hot air brigade and they alone.

Just because some people truly believe the earth is flat, does not make it so.

michaelh, S.A.C. Martin, jnc and 19 others like this.
  13. Smokestack Lightning

Smokestack Lightning Member

Surely the 9 miles is irrelevant in your calculations? The power required to maintain speed would be the same whatever the distance involved.

Dave

14. Big Al

Yes, but for the purposes of calculating two comparable statistics, nine miles was just a convenient number. (9 miles at 90 takes 6 minutes. 9 miles at 60 takes 9 minutes)

D1002 likes this.
  15. 240P15

240P15 Well-Known Member

Interesting reading. Thanks!:)
    Do you know the highest power output of Tornado that has been measured ?(indicated horsepower)

Knut

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
  16. keith6233

keith6233 Member

Engineer
    I wonder how many people have actually read David Wards letter?. One of the points he is making is running at 90mph is only a gain of 8 seconds per mile over running at 75mph,any gains made which is minimal is lost taking water remembering the time slowing down and accelerating. The point he was trying to make is the use of a water carrier would lead to a faster overall time and less strain on the crew and engine.

Hermod and 60017 like this.
  17. Hermod

Hermod Member

If no numbers show up I have copies of the Britannia and V2 BR test reports.
    Tornado and Britannia have almost identical boiler heating surfaces.
    Indicated horsepower efficiency is not very sensitive to rpm.
    V2 is very LNER pacific like boiler- and cylinder-wise.
    At max rate of evaporation Britannia made 2200 indicated and V2 made 1990.Tornado can surely do something in between.

Maximum drawbar horsepower can with very little error be seen on picture

Last edited: Jul 21, 2018
    240P15 likes this.
  18. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    Cant remember the figures 2,300+ springs to mind, but I am sure it was on Beattock about 3 or 4 years ago.
    Tornado has a 50ft Grate Vs. a Brits 42ft so I find the supposition that heating surfaces are identical hard to believe.
    Tornado is in any case better draughted and in consequence can not only out -steam a brit, it has the cylinder capacity to do something with it.

240P15 likes this.
  19. 240P15

240P15 Well-Known Member

Thanks to both of you!:)
    I see from wikipedia it`s noted to 2700 IHP but I don`t know if that`s correct. Hence my question.

Knut

20. Smokestack Lightning

Smokestack Lightning Member

Fair enough.

Dave