If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Leander's Shovel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

A significant contribution from the railway press would be an excellent idea. Well said that man who suggested all three of the big magazines make a contribution.

It's time for SR to put it's money where it's mouth is regarding Torndao. How many magazines would it have to sell to make 55ks, I reckon that it would be about 15,000 copies of SR. Since Danny loves telling us how popular his magazine is surely it would only be a drop in the ocean in a financial year?

2. stepney60

stepney60 Nat Pres stalwart

Indeed, and the same for the others. How many times have they debated what livery the engines going to be painted in since it was announced?

3. Guest

Guest Guest

Precisely. Even if SR and others were to become covenanters even at this stage, if they are not already, it would be a great gesture of support.

4. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    But then people would moan that the paper isnt good enough quality, the articles arent thoroughly enough researched, or the price has gone up again.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't for SR. If they donate they get more of the moans mentioned there. And if they don't donate, they get people asking why not!

Surely the huge amounts of publicity generated for the project is worth something?

5. Guest

Guest Guest

That is what I expect Danny to come back and say that through the relentless pushing of Tornado through SR it has generated X many new covenanters that would never have signed up. And that is a fair point, I can't deny it.

However the preservation movement as a whole has relied on people going above and beyond the call of duty to help railways, locomotives, societies, groups and individuals out. 55,000 pounds is not a huge amount of money to EMAP or if split between the 3 big magazines. It's the gesture, the altruistic side of life, that makes a difference sometimes.

Actions speak louder than words.

6. chrishallam

chrishallam Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I thought emap were basically bankrupt and selling off all its different sections though, so that might not be the best source.

Also, although it would be a nice gesture, I can't really see all the mags co-operating to fund the gap. One or 2 might put in a token gesture of a few thousand, but I doubts more than that.

Im quite willing to be proved wrong though, and if it turns out SR do fund the rest I'll happilly admit to it!

7. Kerosene Castle

Kerosene Castle Well-Known Member

The thing is, whatever happens, the A1 trust will raise the required sum of money. Maybe it won't be achieved within the ideal time period, but it can certainly be calculated to have happened by a given date. I'm sure there are dozens and dozens of schemes around the country which would benefit immensely from a mass injection of cash such as the one proposed, where funding is less certain than with the A1.

Also bear in mind that if Tornado is indeed run-in on the Great Central, it would be yet another case of the GCR benefiting from the actions Steam Railway - not necessarilly a good public relations move!

Don't get me wrong, I think it's a noble idea, but it possibly runs the risk of alienating other groups in preservation, particularly those who have approached Steam Railway for support, and did not recieve it.

8. Guest

Guest Guest

Bugger what anyone thinks, SR will still sell magazines regardless of what support they offer the A1 Trust or the GCR. If the heritage railway industry was so put out with SR's support for the GCR then the magazine would have sunk beneath the waves a long time ago. If other groups don't receive their support then it's tough on them; perhaps HR will support them instead.

The A1 is the first mainline steam locomotive since Evening Star, surely it is worth more than just words and articles but something more physical in the form of a donation?

9. Leander's Shovel

Leander's Shovel Member

Scribe
    I wish. It's under £50,000 now.

10. Leander's Shovel

Leander's Shovel Member

Scribe
    Exactly

11. Leander's Shovel

Leander's Shovel Member

Scribe
    Well RM and SR are owned by PLCs, and that means shareholders. I have enough trouble getting my expenses through. HR's margins are so small they could only afford £100 for the Severn Valley. At least we ran to four figures for that crisis.

12. Guest

Guest Guest

You'd be an instant legend for doing it Danny.

No-one would forget your name in a hurry if it were to happen.

Imagine, immortal glory...like David Wilcock!

13. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    So is that a Yes... You will be sleeping in the car... Santa will be delivering your stockings via the exaust pipe...

14. Leander's Shovel

Leander's Shovel Member

Scribe
    Truth is, if I had the option I would donate it tomorrow. But I don't so I can't. The best I can do is push the project hard and provide a conduit for publicity. When I became editor I backed away from all my memberships and gifting. I have to be completely impartial.

15. Leander's Shovel

Leander's Shovel Member

Scribe
    Lots of valid points, but the engine running in on the GCR has nothing to do with SR. It is a simple case of the GCR being able to provide a double track main line passed for 60mph.

16. Guest

Guest Guest

Lots of valid points, but the engine running in on the GCR has nothing to do with SR. It is a simple case of the GCR being able to provide a double track main line passed for 60mph.[/quote:7nvv3rnt]

Quite right Danny. Sometimes there is causality between events and sometimes co-incedence. One event does not neccesarily lead to another, events can be totally seperated.

If I wanted to test out a newly built steam locomotive at a high speed that had ambitions for running on the mainline I would only think of one place and it wouldn't be a line limited to just 25mph.

17. Kerosene Castle

I know that as well as you do, but not everybody will see it that way.

18. Kerosene Castle

I think with a magazine, it's better to have a lot of casual friends, then just a few very good ones. It doesn't always pay to brown-nose some groups, while at the same time ignore others. At some point in the future you may go looking for a story from a certain source, and find that the information isn't readily forthcoming.

19. Guest

Guest Guest

Surely that must happen already?

20. Kerosene Castle

Yes, but I doubt they would want to make it worse! Fortunately since Danny's arrival at the magazine, it seems some bridges have been rebuilt.