If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tornado

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Leander's Shovel, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

=D> =D> Well said.

Now can we get back on topic please. ANyone know if Tornado has arrived at Grosmont yet?

2. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    I agree with the above. While I would like to have been able to go on this charter, I do not blame Steam Dreams for acting as they did. After all, they probably had less than 200 seats available, and had to try and avoid too many people guessing what was involved. It is also a good marketing tactic to reward your most loyal customers from time to time...

3. Tracklayer

Employed
    I only saw the programme when it went out "on the day" and have never seen any footage of it since. I was quite young at the time, being only slightly older than Riley (23) now... Think it might have been Sunday 19th April 1998 looking at UKSteam.

They had a model radio controled helicopter with a camera i believe, with other cameras mounted on the loco. I am sure the more up to date equipment used on Top Gear should produce some excellent results! Looking forward to it already.................

4. kelal

kelal New Member

Talking of cameras, I noticed a small video camera (didn't look like a professional camera) mounted on the buffer beam on Tornado. I wonder if this was used by the BBC or maybe A1 Trust themselves. Hopefully a DVD will be released about this trip. Incidently, 'Top Gear' is sold all over the world, so any cost incurred by the BBC is likely to be recovered many times over.

5. Matt

Matt Member

It left Battersby at around 13.45 so it should be by now!

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Wow .. well spotted I zoomed into my picture at KX and lo and behold it's a BBC Camera.. same type as was mounted on the Range Rovers which were supporting the Jaguar..

I know there was a number of cameras in the cab, there was a 2" thick bundle of cables running under the drivers cab steps under the tender and into the support coach

7. mikado

mikado New Member

I Wish people would stop complaining about not being invited people who whave worked hard to get this Loco on to the main line were not invited as well only a select few from the support crew

I Know people who have worked hard on this loco and for them not to be involved is rather nasty

8. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    I've looked at various clips on Youtube and Clarkson does seem to have got very dirty between York and Edinburgh. Theres one clip of him at York looking pretty clean and another at the water stop north of York looking clean. And the coal dust & grime at Edinburgh does look suspiciously uniform and to have a slightly brownish hue.
    Having said that I must admit to ending up looking dirtier than that after a tender first run from Snow Hill to Stratford Upon Avon. \:D/

9. Diamond Gaz

Diamond Gaz Well-Known Member

Looking at that photo (download/file.php?id=3346&mode=view) of Tornado, 2 questions:

1) Is there any reason why only one of the headlight lamps is on? Have seen this on a few other specials, where only 1 is switched on?

2) Whats the cylindrical object by the left hand smoke deflector?

10. 47406

47406 Well-Known Member

Operations Manager
  11. Bean-counter

Bean-counter Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Looks very similar to the camera Countryfile mounted on 825 when filming on the NYMR for the Easter Sunday edition. I believe it was meant to come off at Goathland but ended up being used for the full trip, with shots from right along the line being used in the finished programme. It attaches to box of tricks that almost looks armour plated while still being only the size of a large sandwich box!

12. jay

jay New Member

NRM Apprentice-NELPG volunteer-NYMR Volunteer
    1) when steam comes through darlington there is only usally 1 light on.

2) I would guess this is the air pump for the brakes.

Hope that helps.

13. IndustrialSteamLeeds

IndustrialSteamLeeds Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Its not the air pump, its the turbine for the electricity

14. Tracklayer

Employed
    just one hi-intensity light, the other being a marker light...

15. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Isn't that more akin to modern traction practice in daytime ?.

16. Tracklayer

Employed
    Tornado is Modern Traction!

17. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

As a lucky passenger on this amazing trip,I don't know what you mean when you mention "secret email lists". I was told about the trip by Steam Dreams staff in a flyer that was being distributed on the trip to Yeovil with 70013 on Easter Monday,and was encouraged to book there and then.The other people on my table on the Tornado trip had similarly been told about it on the Yorkshire Pullman trip some days earlier. As others have already said,it was a Steam Dreams operation,they had a reletavely small number of tickets to sell,and I guess this was an effective way of doing it,without "publicising" it.

It was certainly the most I have ever paid for a railtour but I wouldnt have missed it for the world. A superb day.

18. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The requirement is for only one high intensity headlight to be on. Both of 60163's headlights are plugged in when they are on the lamp irons, and I believe the switch to control them is in the cab.

As per modern practice, the one light is for day use, and the other for night. The driver's side one is used during the hours of darkness so that other drivers aren't dazzled. During the day the fireman's side one is used. Well, normally!

19. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

[attachment=0:2aiy8nqi]60163_Stoke2.jpg[/attachment:2aiy8nqi]
    Here is a frame grab from my video, 25% of original size, taken between Burton Le Coggles and Stoke Summit. As far as I could see, I was the only one around.

20. Roger Hercock

Roger Hercock New Member