If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tracks to the Trenches - 2018 (July 13-15th)

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by rusty_project, Jun 1, 2018.

1. rusty_project

rusty_project New Member

Tracks to the Trenches - 2018
    Apedale Valley Light Railway
    July 13-15th
    Friday; 12:30-17:30
    Sat/Sun 10:30 - 17:30
    See the event website: www.ww1-event.org

Tracks to the Trenches 2018 could be the last opportunity during the First World War centenary period, to see a massed collection of authentic First World War locomotives, rolling stock, vehicles, artillery, cavalry, vehicles, replica trench network and re-enactors from around the UK and overseas. This will all be in operation over the long weekend to give a representation of the logistics challenge in supporting WW1.

In addition to this there is a large model railway exhibition (mainly WW1 biased), trade support, passenger railway and much more! A free shuttle bus will operate from Stoke on Trent mainline railway station.

As if this was not enough, there is also ample opportunity to collect your copy of the newly published "The North British Locomotive Co Ltd: The manufacture of locomotives and other munitions of war during the period 1914-1919"! Stocks of this book arrived 23rd May and copies are now available direct from the Apedale Railway shop each weekend, or a select network re-sellers.

30854 likes this.
  2. Seraphim

Seraphim New Member

Engineer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    By now, the entire railway world is aware that the War Office Loco Trust's Hunslet 4-6-0 was, very sadly, unable to participate in the Hunslet125 weekend at the Ffestiniog Railway. As is often the case when dealing with vintage machinery, there just weren't hours in the day to complete the loco. However, we are confident that the loco will be available to play an active role at Tracks to the Trenches at Apedale, on July 13-15. Barring major mechanical setbacks, the weekend will see the public debut of this iconic loco, and a chance for visitors to see three of the key British military locos of the First World War all in operation - the 4-6-0 Hunslet, the Greensand Museum Trust's Baldwin from Leighton Buzzard, and the Apedale resident Hudswell Clarke loco. The photos show the Hunslet nearing completion, and we thank Joey Evans and WOLT for them

Attached Files:

2mm Andy and Copper-capped like this.
  3. RLinkinS

RLinkinS Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The news about the progress on 1215 brought a lump to my throat. I am really looking forward to seeing her. I just wonder if either of my Grandfather's saw one of these locos at work in France.

4. rusty_project

rusty_project New Member

Well, it's less than 2 weeks to go so I thought it was worth mentioning an update about the Third event in the First World War Centenary Trilogy at Apedale - which is a Narrow Gauge & Living History megafest.

On the modelling front, there are a vast array of Narrow Gauge military (mostly WW1 or related) model railways in 009, 1/35, O14, O16.5 & 16mm scale. A good range of traders and much more - including a display of highly detailed 16mm locos/stock from the famous the late Henry Holdsworth collection.

We are reliably informed that a pre-production sample of the forth coming LROD Hunslet 4-6-0T from Accucraft should be making an appearance too (potentially even operating at some stage).

As if that wasn't enough - you may also get to see the 12":1ft real thing!

For the first time (and probably not repeated again for a long time) you'll be able to see Hunslet 4-6-0T, Baldwin 4-6-0T, Hudson 0-6-0WT, Kerr Stuart Joffre 0-6-0T, Brigadelok 0-8-0T all in action to a back drop of a sea of First World War living history groups/displays, Cavalry, Vehicles, Field Gun, Motor Rail 20hp (Wizz-Bang) Bent-frame locos, 40hp Tin Turtles and more original/authentic WW1 rolling stock than anywhere else.

Many more details available on the event website - www.ww1-event.org