If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Train of Hope, 1st October 2011.

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by trainofhope, May 15, 2011.

1. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

1335 arrived Carlilse,very nice!

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

1514 depart from carlilse

3. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

1553 long marton

4. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

1556 arrive Appleby

5. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

1603 depart... Very quick stop (in between the soup for us on board). 16 minutes down

6. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

1617, lots of clag through hellifield, i have coal in my bap.

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Outside hellifield after a nice steak dinner, 47 to take over

8. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

47580 (large logo blue) on the front, 47245 on the rear(it's like seeing wcrc in London...but up north)

Same southern regulars... But up north.

9. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    Short video of 46115 at Garstang , Shap Summit and Aisgill on the return to follow . Steve . Video on my youtube page TheStephengthompson

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Currently being held at Euxton, no apparent reason. Was 10 mins early...slowly looking at my last connection to Euston getting closer and closer!

11. Horwich-works

Horwich-works New Member

Vehicle Engineer
  12. Western Bulleid

Western Bulleid Part of the furniture

Journalist
    Here are my three photos from today. Seemed to be that I could photograph 46115 in the sun or with clag, but not both! She passed Scout Green about 1pm with the 47 pushing hard, second before the fireman put a load of coal on, before passing me at Ais Gill on the return seconds before the sun came back out properly. However at least we missed the 158 which passed when the sun emerged! Not to worry, she sounded great on the return leg! Great to see Guardsman in the autumn sunshine.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/davestubbings/

13. 981smithy

981smithy Member

Excellent contributions today from info to Videos and stills here is my footage of 46115 steaming through Acton Bridge with plenty of tender wagging.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RFG7kUozuU

Hope you enjoy.

14. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Arrive 2033 at Crewe, an excellent day out, thanks to those who put up the videos on you tube (power of the iPad and 3G) meant we were entertained watching 46115 videos (and 5043 from liverpool) whilst meandering south on the toh.

Made my last train to london, for those doing a late night, 47245 +stock + 47580+ 47500 (failed this am) are looking set to head back to carnforth shortly from Crewe south.

Very much enjoyed today, a lot of effort has gone into this tour, much more than your average tour and a very jovial crowd on the train. Taking a Tour of Hope bottle of wine and a TOH chocolate back with me as a souvenir... Well for mrs adb anyway. This has been a very well thought through trip, and the standard of service provided would be up there with the orient express.

Several firsts for me today, first time by steam over Shap, first full day tour with 46115, first steam 1st class diner experience, 1st time over the s & c by steam (since the threat of closures been lifted!), first rail tour where getting a look out of the carriage door windows was not only easy, but polite !

Can't fault the WCRC 1st class coaches, (coach B) some slick interior designing!, very clear windows, wallpapered ceiling?? Everything looking very new (that is the wooden interiors are clearly very new and dont look refurb revarnished etc), full english breakfast, and for dinner pepper & tomato soup, steak with vegetables and peppercorn sauce, desert, followed by cheese, followed by sweet deserts! Will definitely recommend that experience.

Good to meet some forum members (groks, thompson1706 etc.)

Well done all, and I hope it paid off for the charity.

15. Mike30A

Mike30A Well-Known Member

spending the kids inheritance
  16. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just arrived home, thanks to all on board who came and spoke to us, great day and hopefully a good fundraiser. Thanks also for the photos and videos so far, the one at Ais Gill is superb... Just a pity that what we assumed to be a leaking drain cock on the steam chest ruined the sound on the videos... Will have to wait and see tomorrow how my on board tirned out.

John and the other members of the organising team should be very happy at the way the day went despite the problem at the start. Have a year off guys and then do it again in 2013.

17. buseng

buseng Part of the furniture

Retired
    Reading your Youtube caption, does that mean 47's or heritage diesels are going to be banned from the main line? In particular the WC main line & the S&C? I think not.

18. iancawthorne

iancawthorne Well-Known Member

19. FlyingScotsman4472

FlyingScotsman4472 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  20. trainofhope

trainofhope New Member

Train Driver
    hello
    nice photographs could I just point out these photographs were taken on the 1st October and not the 1st August as titled.
    It did feel like the 1st August weather wise.!