If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

TURKISH 8F'S & YANKIE TANK LOCOMOTIVES.

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 50044 Exeter, May 28, 2010.

1. 21B

21B Part of the furniture

Stanier was a heathen with no interest or feel for the importance of history. His actions both at Swindon and Derby were unnecessary and nothing short of vandalism.

2. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Thats quite a statement, did you know the guy then ?

3. Sheff

Sheff Resident of Nat Pres

Retired Engineer & Heritage Volunteer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Well for a heathen he was responsible for some heavenly locomotives (and that's from a die-hard LNER man).

4. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

There is some evidence that Stanier didn't like old clutter about the place. We of course don't think of it as old clutter, but the times are very different now.

If someone wants 48518 back they may as well get hold of the chimney, stick it on a Turkish one and renumber it. It's only claim to history is that it was built by the LNER and there are probably no LNER built bits left on it. There is a strange delusion that a loco's identity rests in its frames - this is horsefeathers as frames are frequently replaced. Flying Scotsman doesn't have its original frames, nor did any other A3 by the time they were withdrawn. Stirling No.1 didn't have its original frames, boiler, wheels, chimney or tender even when withdrawn and at least the driving wheels, boiler and tender have been changed again since.

These examples are well known simply because they belong to famous well documented classes, but the same amount of interchange is just as likely on anything except maybe the very short lived Standards built in the late 50's.

5. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A very sweeping statement, on what do you base it.

6. IainDodd

IainDodd New Member

Stanier is getting a pasting on this thread and I cannot understand why.

He did not do anything different from other people in a similar position at the other three major railways

As I have said before he was employed by a railway company to help it run as such. He would not be asked to set up a museum.

The number of locomotives preserved between 1923 and 1947 can not have gone into double figures.

I look forward to someone proving conclusively that Stanier was directly responsibe for giving the order for scrapping anything

7. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

Its probably a revenge attack for the pasting gwr types are getting elsewhere on the forum
    Lets wait and see what happens when someone compares Oliver Bulleid to George Bush.
    :wink:

8. dampflok

dampflok Member

Nurse,Qualified Ward Manager now retired
    No I do not currently volunteer

9. IainDodd

IainDodd New Member

Ignoring the two 8Fs in museums are there any left in Turkey?

If so how complete are they and is it worth dismantling them in Turkey for spares?

And are there any spares in store?

Thanks.

10. ADB968008

ADB968008 Guest

This may help...

45153 (357) Cankiri (Dumped)

http://www.modeltrenciler.com/files/out.php/i13137_45153mah.zey.1.jpg

45161 Camlik (preserved)

45161 Camlik Museum | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

45165 (353) Alasehir (Dumped)

Stanier 8F 45165 in Alasehir Dump, Turkey 2008 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

45168 Izmit (On Display)

Le Locomotive di Turchia: 45168

11. pete2hogs

pete2hogs Member

Well, under his command, so to speak, several locos that had been set aside and kept for a number of years for preservation were broken up. This is not the same as scrapping old locos when they come out of service. I think that is behind the comments, although some of them are over the top. As you say, it was hardly his job to set up a museum.

12. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    What locos would these be?

13. IainDodd

IainDodd New Member

I am probably wrong in my assumption but doesn't the CME lord it over the running of the railway, not the finances.

When the senior management say that locomotives, coaches and freight stock are no longer capable of being used, either because of the cost opf maintaining them or their unsuitability for use he would give authority for them to be disposed of.

The CME might suggest that the item is preserved (unlikely) it is still up to other people to pay for such preservation. Such expenditure is very unlikely to be authorised. If the management decide that keeping a lump of metal arroud would benefit the railway it would still get in the way until it was removed to suitable display environment.