If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Two exiled A4s to return from North America for two years - official

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by shedbasher, Jan 5, 2012.

1. Duty Druid

Duty Druid Resident of Nat Pres

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Where's Antony when you need him????????? Lol!

2. Anthony Coulls

Anthony Coulls Well-Known Member

Yes, low loaded from Shildon to the carriage works - then trip worked over by 60009 and 55 002, about a mile and a half in total.

3. MarkinDurham

MarkinDurham Well-Known Member

Thanks, Anthony :)

Mark

4. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Saw the finishing touches being made to 60008 on Tuesday. A fantastic sight, absolutely first-rate, and I'm pleased to have seen it without mortgaging my cardboard box to get across the Atlantic.

5. MarkinDurham

I have the 'before' shots of 60008/10 that I took at Shildon; I'm looking forward to the 'after' shots in July. Well done to all involved :)

Mark

6. pjhliners

pjhliners Member Friend

Dwight - what a sight at the NRM 9 February 2013

The excitement continues about the two A4s which have crossed back across the Atlantic, to make a lineup of six in the summer when we celebrate the 75th anniversary of Mallard's record run.

Gresley A4 Pacific No 60008 Dwight D Eisenhower has been given a delicious shiny new coat of Brunswick green, with late BR logo and the lining out on the nose back to normal. A fine sight alongside Mallard now in the National Railway Museum at York, one can still tell that she was sent to the USA straight from daily service, with only a new coat of paint, whereas Mallard had been beautifully restored and tended.

Photography is always difficult in the NRM but this was an occasion not to be missed. It was good to see some old friends as well.

See 16 pictures at Zenfolio | Peter Hewitt's Transport Pictures | Dwight - what a sight at the NRM 9 February 2013

Peter, on a cold grey Manchester morning
    Zenfolio | Peter Hewitt's Transport Pictures

7. Spamcan81

Spamcan81 Nat Pres stalwart

Training moles
    Anyone know how long 60008 is to remain on display alongside 4468?

8. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    I'll buy a pint for whoever has painted 60008. Fabulous.

9. irwellsteam

irwellsteam Member

-
    Here you are Heritage Painting home page

May need to buy 3 pints, actually.

10. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

No I do not currently volunteer
    Sorry about that. I got a bit excited by the whole event and forgot that 60008 was moved by road and only by rail for a short distance.

11. MarkinDurham

Easily done, and certainly no harm done :)

Cheers
    Mark

12. willig

willig Member

13. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Looking at the NRM website and Locomotion website I can find no reference to a line up at Shildon next year. Just wondered if the NRM had ever publicly stated that there would be one. If so where and when?

The NRM website clearly states all six A4's will be lined up at York in July Mallard 75 - National Railway Museum So what is this suggestion in 'Moors Line' that 60007 will not be going all about? Surely everything is signed and sealed or the event would not be being advertised by the NRM.

14. green five

The Shildon line-up is mentioned in a letter I had from the NRM just before Christmas. As I had previously donated money to their 4472 appeal they sent me a letter about the A4 event which also requires funding. Quoting from the letter:

"The centrepiece of the programme will be a one off grouping of the A4's around the turntable at the National Railway Museum. It will also include a unique exhibition 'Speed' at our Art Gallery, breathtaking lighting of the six locos as part of the illuminate York festival, and a spectacular finale event and line up at our sister site in Shildon".

15. Pjamie

Pjamie New Member

Its on 60007 website that she will be attending the gathering at York 'Sir Nigel Gresley' Locomotive Preservation Trust

16. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Clearly that was the position on 8th February which pre-dates the appeareance of the latest 'Moors Line'. Of course the comments in 'Moors Line' could have been written before or after that.

Having looked at the 60007 website one is left in no doubt about the commitment of the SNGLPT to the York event. Thus I am even more baffled about the 'Moors Line' comments.

17. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Combinations of words can often be interpreted in different ways. The words "spectacular finale event and line up at our sister site in Shildon" could be read as a six A4 line up I would agree. My interpretation though is that there is to a line up at Shildon but not necessarily of six A4s. Anyhow, I am sure some legal eagle or linguist can give an opinion on the true interpretation of what has been said in the letter.

18. polmadie

polmadie Well-Known Member

Whilst I would like to thank everyone for their efforts in getting 6 A4s together, I feel if you are going to have the 6 round a turntable it should be at Barrow Hill. Much better atmosphere, 3 could be in steam and the other 3 could could appear to be steam with the use of burning oily rags.Also at BH they could be lined up in the yard. York is too "sterile" a place and has no atmosphere at all.

19. green five

Latest issue of Heritage Railway reports that there will also be A4 gatherings in October at York, around the turntable and finally at Shildon in February 2014.

20. MikeParkin65

MikeParkin65 Member Friend

I'm sure I have read that the loan agreement stipulates the two visitors can only be displayed at NRM premises.