If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Two Extensions

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Christopher125, May 22, 2010.

1. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

TWO extensions saw their first services today:-

- The Welsh Highland Railway ran their first services to the RSPB Osprey visitor centre at Pont Croesor, 23(ish) miles from Caernarfon. Passengers will be able to join/leave the train later this week when the station opens.

If your interested there is a video of the first train, plus from Simon Calder an article from today's Independent.

- Also the Weardale Railway ran their first service to Bishops Auckland using their resident industrial, which gives the preservation scene another substantial line at around 18 miles. The website states "The long planned daily community service to Bishop Auckland will start on Sunday 23rd May. Using the 141 railcars there will be 6 return runs each weekday, 5 on Saturdays and 4 on Sundays. In addition each Saturday, Sunday and Bank Holiday will see extra runs using our heritage coaching stock hauled by No.40 steam or class 73 diesel locomotive."

The Northern Echo have an article and video of the event.

Chris

2. domeyhead

domeyhead Member

Great news, and more to come I hope. The GWR, the BLuebell, the WSR are all certainties, and I hope the GCR, Swanage, Gwili, Llangollen, Bodmin and Wenford, and the KESR can all overcome local difficulties to get their lines extended too. (I'm sure I've missed a few!).

3. andymarland

andymarland New Member

Great news, not been to the Weardale yet, I'll have to see if there's any galas or charters over the next year or so, and combine it with a visit to some of the other NE heritage lines :)