If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Tyseley Locomotive Works and VT Matters

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Chime Whistle, May 16, 2019.

1. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

I have no news about the Bloomer but I surmise that Tyseley have several higher priority concerns at present. They did however mutter about having it ready for the beanfeast when HS2 arrives in Brum.

If they haven't finished it before I die, they will get a small dollop of cash from my estate towards it.

andrewshimmin likes this.
  2. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

According to an interview with Michael Whitehouse in Trackside they have a full order book on contract works(6880, 71000, Kinlet Hall) until 2024, and an essential programme of carriage upgrades - retention tanks and central locking. So no works on anything else at present.

3. Robin

Robin Well-Known Member Friend

Responding to the post in the Vintage Trains 2024 thread:

From the Editor's notes accompanying the press release on de-accessioning Kolhopur:

"We are de-accessioning Kolhopur as she is non-standard with the rest of the collection. Furthermore, the estimate to return her to main line operation is around £750,000. However, 4965 can be returned to traffic quickly for around £100,000 in her current configuration. For approximately one third of the cost of returning Kolhopur to service, we consider that (at 2024 prices) we will be able to return 4965 to traffic. We will approach this work in stages. Funds are available for her ten-year boiler overhaul and this work will commence in March. Subsequently (subject to funding) we will modify her cylinders to fit almost anywhere within the Network Rail loading gauge and, furthermore, convert her to burn liquid fuel, based on the GWR oil firing system. When all this work is all funded and completed, 4965 will be as useful and gauge friendly as 5593 would have been."

So as I read it, £100k for a quick return to service and another £150k for modified cylinders and oil firing, subject to funding.

ianh and GWR4707 like this.
  4. ruddingtonrsh56

ruddingtonrsh56 Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    I would be curious to know what that cylinder modification would be - reducing their diameter or repositioning the existing ones so they are tucked in a bit more?

5. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Romsey, torgormaig, Matt37401 and 4 others like this.
  6. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

One would assume similar to the amendments to 6024's cylinders, same bore but the wider structure redesigned to facilitate less width. Albeit not sure we will see 6024 using those cylinders in the near/medium future?

Chris86 likes this.
  7. mdewell

mdewell Well-Known Member Friend

UK & Ireland Heritage Railways Webmaster
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Deleted

8. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?