If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

UK Railtours - End of Southern Steam - 2017 Commemoratives

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Where's Mazeppa?, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Chris86

Chris86 Well-Known Member

Safety, Technical and Offroad Driver Trainer
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Sounds like an amazing trip.

Wish I could Justify the £900 for myself and my wife to travel on it!

Chris

2. Stephen Hughes

Stephen Hughes New Member

Would love to travel on the train on July 9th. Fifty years ago on that date (having travelled to Weymouth behind 35023 on the previous day) I sat all day on Southampton Central station (with my father) waiting and waiting for a steam locomotive to appear from the west. We had originally turned up sometime after 8 in the morning as dad had some information that steam was going to be on one of the early turns, but of course that did not happen. It was a long day, and eventually our patience was rewarded, although we were blissfully unaware of the shenanigans at Bournemouth, the relief when 35030 appeared was palpable. I took a quick photo and away we went back to Waterloo for the last time. I was eleven years old (lucky to have a steam-mad father).
    I would be happy to fork out for a return from Waterloo to Weymouth, which would , for me, be the most suitable commemoration of that weekend 50 years ago. Oh, and as an aside, renumbering 35028 as 35030 does absolutely nothing for me, personal opinion only!...and a discount for anyone who travelled on the last train in 1967 would be welcome (but not essential!).

3. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Is any information about possible route(s) available yet? In the absence of that it's hard to choose between that one and the Bournemouth Belle on 5th (for anyone who can just about afford one but not both, which is probably is quite a few of us).

4. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

An article in the new issue of Heritage Railway which arrived today says that 6201 will be hauling the SD 4 day SR Anniversary trip if 35018 is not ready in time.

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

No and not even for MNLPS members. But does it matter? If it's Clan Line then it will be good wherever we go. I'd be more than happy with a fast run from Waterloo to Salisbury for a few hours layover. Then come back home via Southampton for a dash back up the main line to Waterloo. Late start, early finish. Simple.

6. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

A Black 5 would be more appropriate. At least they sometimes worked on the Southern

7. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes ironically as MN replacements along with some V2s. They also worked through on holiday trains to the South coast over many years

8. gricerdon

gricerdon Guest

They also worked the York to Bournemouth train after the Halls had finished in 1965 and were often used on local turns plus the 0930 from Waterloo.

9. Bournemouth is my home town and I was lucky enough to experience the 'Belle several times as a child. That train, along with the Brighton Belle, is probably responsible for my lifelong interest in railway catering so I think I will just have to shell out and be on board, or else regret not doing so for a very long time. An opportunity to experience both the Bournemouth Belle and Brighton Belle on their respective stomping grounds in 2017 really is something rather special, at any price. At least this time the Bournemouth Belle will run with table lamps.

I remember going to Bournemouth Central on 9.7.67 to see the last 'Belle depart and being quite miffed to find a Brush 4 in charge. What chance 47810 (D1924) might be borrowed from DRS for the diesel leg of this tour?

Here's some interesting stuff about the Bournemouth Belle to whet the appetite:

http://www.kentrail.org.uk/bournemouth_belle.htm

http://www.semgonline.com/coach/coupe/coupe_se03.pdf

Barrie Childs
    Train Manager
    Quantock Belle
    West Somerset Railway

10. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

From the latest UKR newsletter:

The Waterloo Sunset – Sunday 9 July 2017

Waterloo to Sherborne and Yeovil, returning via Southampton
    Will include all three classes. Bookings will open in January.

Presumably 35028? I can see this one filling up fast!

11. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Well, its a good itinerary as far as Yeovil from what I remember with 46115. Cutting out Weymouth increases the chance of clean steam because last time 35028 went up Upwey, it had a 66 banking. Might make a weekend of it and do RTC's trip on the Saturday, finances permitting.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2016
  12. Bulleid Pacific

Bulleid Pacific Part of the furniture

A Thingy...
    Here it is: http://www.ukrailtours.com/product/the-waterloo-sunset/

Main line to Yeovil Junction, return to Romsey Junction, down to Eastleigh and Havant, then up the Portsmouth Direct back to Waterloo, a journey of around 280 miles. Providing the provisional timings are not too far out from what happens on the day, there is the possibility of two steamers at Waterloo within ten minutes of each other, regardless of whether 35018 makes an appearance on the Cath-Ex tour or not. Have now booked it.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  13. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Pity that the return is via Havant only because of gauging issues that will cramp Clan Line's style a bit. (I seem to remember that the station canopy at Liphook is a problem, for example.) But even with that it is a great trip.

14. derby2

derby2 New Member

Ran out of jobs
    I think this is the sort of tour that people have been asking for to commemorate 'the end of Southern Steam'. We did consider Weymouth, but the more complex logistics, restricted train length (and higher costs) meant that we felt this itinerary would be better. The Portsmouth Direct sees very little steam (pathing is a problem Mon-Sat) and of course it saw the occasional steam working right up to the last day. And if you don't know it, Sherborne is a great destination; two old castles, a wonderful abbey, an award-winning High Street and lots of pubs!!
    Before anyone asks, we have had an assurance from DBC that Network Rail will be sorting out the gauging issue on the up line at Oborne Bridge this spring!
    'Waterloo Sunset' was written and recorded 50 years ago this year; Ray Davies - at long last - was knighted in the New Year Honours list; and "Clan Line" will be hauling a train from Waterloo commemorating 'the last steam trains in London' on the exact 50th anniversary of the final workings - what's not to like? (Yes, I know about the LT panniers on ballast trains till 1971, but you couldn't buy a ticket to travel on one)!

15. MellishR

I agree.

16. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    For the sake of complete accuracy you forgot the very last steam, Acton Lane Power Station which, I think, went in 1975. You couldn't buy a ticet for that either!

17. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Fantasising wildly, of course, but it occurs to me that the CathEx from Weymouth will be traversing the Romsey - Laverstock section in the opposite direction at about the same time of day as The Waterloo Sunset. Imagine standing on Romsey platform, for example and seeing a steam loco (35018, perhaps?) approaching off the curve from Redbridge as Clan Line takes the "old road" towards Chandlers Ford; or standing on Surbiton or perhaps Weybridge station and seeing successive steam-hauled up expresses roar past, just as the sun sets; or watching them arrive at Waterloo, a few minutes apart, the 2 locos resting side-by-side at the buffer-stops... I was 4 years old in July 1967. I thought steam had gone forever. Thoughts like this make my spine tingle.

18. steamvideosnet

steamvideosnet Well-Known Member

I'm not sure, Mark, but I don't think the CathEx will be traversing the Romsey-Laverstock line on the 9th July? From what I gather, the CathEx will go from Kingswear (or was it Penzance?) to Castle Cary behind 35018, then 48151 takes the train down to Weymouth, then 35018 takes over again and goes through Southampton and Winchester to London. I'm sure it said on the Steam Dreams website or in their brochure.

Either way, the potential prospect of two Merchants side by side at the blocks at Waterloo is quite something! It's going to be an outstanding year for main line steam on the Southern!

James

19. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

You're right of course, James! I was assuming the CathEx would be doing the usual thing: DL Weymouth to Soton then reverse and home via Romsey and Andover - but it's the Belle on Wed 5th that's doing that. The only place they might possibly pass is Eastleigh, and that's a pretty remote chance. Still, if the proposed arrival times back at Waterloo are achievable, then they'll be chasing each other up from Woking, maybe less than 10 mins apart? If...

20. MellishR

Wasn't there an issue a year or two ago with which platforms at Waterloo could accommodate steam specials?