If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Unknown tender on A456: what, why?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Christoph, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

Beat me too it LOL but as I just realised this is the cause for confusion (even though it is a different type to 3205's, is lined, has old paintwork, Resco markings etc!!!)

2. Andyjb6

Andyjb6 New Member

Okay - easy mistake to make. I failed to check the date of the inital pic and, since spent most of yesterday watching the tender of 3205, City of Truro, 3205 itself and City of Truro's tender arriving (in that order), got confused.

Anyhow - apologies.

3. Pete Thornhill

Thats ok mate! easily done!!! It was only when I looked at the first post again I realised how the confusion was caused!!! Anyway welcome to the forum!

4. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Perhaps it's time for a bit less of the keyboard warrior stuff and a bit more volunteering (or even any at all). That way through familiarity & education nobody would ever confuse a Collet GWR 4000g tender with a 3000g one which is quite obviously smaller!

5. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Just to throw a curve ball here, but correct me if I'm wrong isn't the tender actually Hagley Hall's? As Bradley Manor has been paired with a Hall's tender ever since it went mainline and my Dad has always commented that Bradley Manor just doesn't look right with the larger Hall's tender behind it.

6. svr-rodgers

svr-rodgers Member

Photographic Printer @ Stourport Photo Centre
    I believe 7802 came from Barry with that tender. Hagleys got its own tender i believe aswell

7. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Ahhh right, so it would be intriguing to know which Hall class loco the tender originally came from as it's clearly not the correct tender for Bradley.

8. Pete Thornhill

Dont know which engine 7802's tender came from but when preserved 4930 came with the Hawkesworth tender it is now coupled to in the Engine House. However in the 80's 4930 ran with 6960's tender (which was a Collett 4000g one - Same type as coupled to 7802 these days) and 6960 ran with 4930's (although it should be pointed out both Halls and Modified Halls ran with both and indeed in the early days halls ran with the 3500g variety such as 4965 now does) but when 6960 was sold it's tender was reunited with it and 4930 regained it Hawkesworth example. Now my guess is that given that 7802 now runs with the same type of tender as belongs to 6960 and was formally in use with 4930 he has come to the conclusion that it is the same tender when in fact it is just the same type. As I said I am not sure which loco 7802's Tender came from but I would imagine that it came from a Loco in barry scrapyard. (Early photos of 7802 at barry show it coupled to a 3500g tender though so maybe this was in bad condition and a swap was arranged for a tender in better condition (albeit the wrong type for a manor).

9. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

As 7802 was bought for spares, was a tender actually bought to go with it from Woodhams?

10. David-Haggar

David-Haggar Member

Water Meter Reader
    Many thanks for the explanation, my Dad and I always thought that Bradley Manor had been paired with Hagley's tender, so this clears that all up.

Cheers

11. Pete Thornhill

That is the bit I am unsure on!!! Think somewhere I saw a photo of it coupled to a 4000g tender after being taken to the railway following purchase - Could be wrong though!

12. 1472

1472 Well-Known Member

All interesting stuff but the true story is:
    7802 purchased as spares from Woodhams WITHOUT a tender in 1979. The tender it went to Barry with is now with 5322.
    7802's current tender is an ex Swindon Works Oil carrier (hence its good state) aquired from BREL in the early '80s & it believed last pairing was with 7026 (Tenby Castle?).
    A new (rebuild?) tender of the Churchward 3500g type is under construction for 7802 by the owning group as below and progress will depend on funding - further details & share applications in the owning group of 7802 & 7812 can be found at this link:http://www.erlestokemanorfund.co.uk/
    The 4000g tender will be retained as a spare and could be used behind 4930 in the future

13. Pete Thornhill

Thanks for clearing that up must be my memory playing tricks!!!

14. Christoph

Christoph New Member

Thanks from me for all the interesting discussion and details. I am amazed what two pictures and two simple questions could provoke.

Kind regards

Christoph