If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Update on photography in public places

Discussion in 'Photography' started by michaelh, Dec 7, 2009.

1. nanstallon

nanstallon Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Have just seen on BBC news that an Algerian was noted filming all over the underground, and certainly seemed to be up to no good, but was charged with a fraud offence (details not stated) rather than terror related.

John

2. michaelh

michaelh Part of the furniture

Very comfortably early retired
    Perhaps he hadn't got a ticket

3. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    But the important point was that the news was announced as a "response" to complaints that railway photographers were being "unfairly" treated by the police on railwaty stations. If the level of current plod education is such that they cannot tell the difference between a genuine rail enthusiast and a terrorist then I have even less faith than before in their "eye witness" accounts.

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Exactly my thoughts Fred, since the alleged offence took place months ago..

5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

And said Algerian was filming on a mobile phone! Hardly the optical instrument of choice for most railway enthusiasts...

6. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

Is it just me, or given what they were charged for wouldnt it make much more sense the photos/videos of CCTV were for the purposes of pickpocketing? If this is the best evidence the police could find...

Chris

7. nanstallon

Retired
    It all seems just too much of a convenient coincidence at a time when public disquiet has been growing over the police clampdown on photography.

John

8. Matt35027

Matt35027 Well-Known Member

Builder
    My thoughts exactly, a very obvious attempt to justify the use of these powers

9. shredder1

shredder1 Member

Civil(ish), Servant
    I went to Lime Street sunday 13th December, last sunday, to phot the Princess, signed in and put the badge on, big SLR round my neck, badge clearly visible, steam train due in in 30 minutes, so I wondered up and down the platforms taking a few snaps as you do and walked to the end of the Pendo platform waiting for the Steamer to arrive when all of a sudden two plastic piggies appeared behind me, what are you doing??? what???, well we`ve been watching you and you entered the platform and boarded a train and then got off it again, why did you enter a train and get off again?

I went to the loo, I have a weak bladder through drinking millions of gallons of BR tea over the years.

Straight severe face, You are not allowed to do that you should have left the platform and used the toilet on the concourse, I then produced my Cheshire Rover ticket and told them that I was allowed to board as many trains as I liked and change my mind about travelling and get off a train whenever I want to, but they`wernt having it, I had to laugh at this point and suggested we step along to the managers office and have a chat with him, to which they said they were only doing their jobs, and who taught you to do your jobs in this way I said?? the next minute they changed their tune and said the steam trains running late, laughed and then said all the trains run late here and wondered off.

Amazing, had they approached me and said you looked suspicious etc, then fine, I would have been more than happy to put their minds at ease and show them whatever ID I had on me, but to talk a load of rubbish like this, makes me wonder how effective these people actually are and are we really getting value for our money, not the PCOs fault, I`m sure they mean`t well, but the training really has to be questioned..

10. nanstallon

Retired
    It makes you wonder how they would cope with a real terrorist incident? They might not have time to call the real cops.

John

11. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

12. nanstallon

Retired
    This is what happens when you give boneheads a bit of authority.

John

13. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    So today I decide to do a bit of recording the conversion of the Oldham Loop from a proper railway to a poor imitation of a tramway.

I am standing on public open land well outside the new perimeter fence when along comes Tangoman and asks me what I am doing? As I am obviously holding a camera and observing the scene I resist the temptation to have some sport and explain that I am doing a bit of "then and now"

In all seriousness he then asks me for my name and address for the record.

Just who do these people think they are? I have a uniform so I have some authority! Not outside that fence you don't mate! So I told him that I was taking photos from a public viewpoint and I was not giving my name to anyone. That was it given that there was no way he could get to me - but I thought this takes the biscuit!

14. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Did you take his picture as well Frank!!!! Just for the record of course..

Perhaps we should arrange a group photo session, all spaced out at regular intervals to get the Tangoman into a real frenzy.