If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

"USA Tank" question

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by 22A, Feb 8, 2014.

1. 22A

22A Well-Known Member

Administrator
    In September 1955, a pair of USA Tanks, 30061 & 66 were loaned to the Midland Region.
    Anyone know please where exactly they went and why? A trial perhaps?

2. std tank

std tank Part of the furniture

Retired
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    30061 went to 14B Kentish Town for three months.
    30066 went to 27A Bank Hall for a similar time.
    I am puzzled by the visit to 14B, but the visit to 27A was, probably, for use in Liverpool docks.

3. Jamessquared

Jamessquared Nat Pres stalwart

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer

According to DL Bradley:

"In early September 1955 Nos. 30061/6 were loaned to the London Midland Region, the former being stationed at Kentish Town for the Somers Town shunt, while 30066 travelled to Bank Hall, Liverpool. On inquiry it was stated that they were required to cover a temporary deficiency of shunting engines, although it was difficult to imagine a Region the size of the London Midland was unable to find two such engines from home resources. However, whatever the reason, the stay was brief and both were back in Southampton by the end of OCtober 1955. No 30061 was again on loan to the London Midland from 4 September 1956 to 19 January 1957, on this occasion it worked from Cricklewood."

Tom