If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains 2015

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ben Vintage-Trains, Jan 9, 2015.

1. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

Perfectly reasonable Ben, and I'm sure I speak for many when I say my sympathies go out to you at the moment. Not how you expected to spend the Easter weekend I imagine, and as the best steam train promoter in the business in my opinion, entirely undeserved.

2. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Our of curiousity, is this just due to visiting more destinations that require a drawback loco at a terminus, reversal somewhere, etc, or has something else changed ?.

You have nothing but everyone's sympathy on the current situation with WCRC.

3. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

The below letter has be received (or is in the process of) by all our passengers with bookings on our trains in April.

RE: Vintage Trains Railtours for April 2015

Dear Passengers,

We regret to have to inform you that our Train Operating Company (TOC) of choice, West Coast Railways (WCR), has suspended all of its operations for several weeks pending resolution of an incident that occurred earlier this year. Vintage Trains has played no part in the incident or the subsequent investigation, however we are affected by the suspension of WCR's operations.

We expect the investigation and the subsequent return to operations by WCR to be completed soon, but the immediate result to Vintage Trains will be the postponement or cancellation of the following three trains scheduled for April:
    • The City of New Orleans on 11th April – Cancelled.
    • The Coastal Explorer on 18th April – Postponed to Saturday 19th September (Note).
    • The White Rose to York on 25th April – Cancelled.
    (Note – Exact Date to be confirmed)

With regard to your booking(s) with us in April we can either:

1. If you are already booked on the Coastal Explorer, travel with us in September.
    2. Transfer your booking to one of our alternate trips throughout the year.
    3. Offer you a credit note for use on any future Vintage Trains or Shakespeare Express trip.
    4. Offer you a full refund.

Please reply either via email to: tickets@vintagetrains.co.uk or by post to the booking office using the form overleaf.

We apologise for the inconvenience and share in your deep disappointment and frustration.

Yours faithfully

Ben Mason - For Vintage Trains Ltd.

4. Ben Vintage-Trains

5. Paul.Uni

Paul.Uni Well-Known Member

Ben, do you know if Bachmann have any plans to produce some mark 2 coaches to go with the train pack?

6. Ben Vintage-Trains

None that I am aware of. The set comes with the Mk1 BFK (support coach), a Mk1 Metro Cam Pullman Parlor and the Pullman Kitchen.

The level of detail is amazing!

7. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Is there a mini-me Ben sitting in the Pullman?

8. Ben Vintage-Trains

Not included as standard...but a Tyseley figurine set might be a fun addition. ;)

9. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

You mean slaving over the stove in the galley of the Pullman Kitchen car? There should also be figures of one of the Rays (driver) and Meanley & son (fireman) to go in the cab...

10. david1984

Bachmann already do pressure vent Mk2's, just need someone to respray them choc n cream.

11. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I really hope that your operation shall be back and running soon someway somehow. Sympathy mike Schur

12. Ben Vintage-Trains

We are so desperate to run a railtour in April, we have asked Chiltern to lend us some stock and a driver....NOT quite what we had in mind! ;);)

IMG_1765.JPG IMG_1754.JPG

13. david1984

May I ask is the Poole trip still going as planned on the 16th as I and a number of others are booked on it ?, if there's any truth in the date of the 15th being relevant to the WCRC debacle, that leaves very little wiggle room with such a short timescale, too much rumour and not enough fact as to the state of play currently.

14. spicer21

spicer21 Guest

They can't take away your sense of humour Ben whatever happens. Good on ya,

15. Ben Vintage-Trains

David, I do not see you reserved on the train; maybe you are with a group under another name? I am not prepared to say anything in the public at the moment. If there is a change of plan you will be notified with all the other passengers before we make any public statements - I believe that is the correct thing to do. Otherwise, the tickets will be in the post as usual.

Regards

Ben - VT

16. david1984

Thankyou Ben, my cousin made the group booking in his name so that's why you won't see my name listed, thanks for your honesty.

17. Ben Vintage-Trains

I have just emailed and posted via 1st Class post the following update regarding the 16th May Jurassic Steamer to Poole and 30th May South Coaster to Brighton.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Passengers,

We regret to inform you that we must cancel the “South Coaster” heritage diesel railtour to Brighton scheduled for 30th May and replace it with the “Jurassic Steamer” railtour to Poole which we are postponing from Saturday 16th May.

Our Train Operating Company (TOC) of choice, West Coast Railways (WCRC), has informed us that Network Rail’s temporary suspension of their operating licence will not be lifted prior to the 15th May, 2015. The suspension was due to no action of fault by Vintage Trains, however we were deeply affected. Although we have been advised that the earliest WCRC could possibly return to running our trains is 15th May, this does pose a significant problem.

We have not had the opportunity to trial our steam loco No: 5043 “Earl of Mount Edgcumbe” after the planned winter maintenance program due to WCRC being unable to operate our trains throughout April. We feel it would be foolhardy to set off for Poole without a trial run. The earliest we can schedule a trial run is the 15th May. This does not allow us an opportunity to rectify any unexpected issues that might arise from the trial before the trip the following day.

As a result, we have no choice but to:

- Postpone the “Jurassic Steamer” to Poole from the 16th May to the 30th May.

- Cancel our diesel railtour, the “South Coaster” to Brighton scheduled for 30th May.

With regard to your bookings, we can either:

1. If you are already booked on the Jurassic Steamer and wish to travel with us on the 30th May, we will automatically move your booking to the new date. You need to take no further action.

2. Transfer your booking to one of our alternate trips throughout the year.

3. Offer you a credit note for use on any future Vintage Trains or Shakespeare Express.

4. Offer you a full refund.

If you choose options 2, 3 or 4 from above, please reply either via email to: tickets@vintagetrains.co.uk and include the following details:

• Name
    • Postcode
    • Contact Email
    • The Train(s) you were booked on
    • Your request for a transfer, credit note or full refund.
    We have also sent you the same letter by 1st Class Post today. We apologise for the inconvenience and share in your deep disappointment and frustration this situation has caused.

Yours sincerely,

Ben Mason - For Vintage Trains Ltd.

Sheff, Martin Perry and ROGace like this.
  18. ROGace

ROGace Member

sorry to hear that Ben - commiserations and hats off to your superb and open customer service responses and clear PR

hope you are on-track asap

Tyne Turbine, green five and 26D_M like this.
  19. david1984

Will be sticking with it on the new date, shame about the Brighton tour as was on that too.

20. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    Your humour raises a serious point; whilst this may not be a "best solution" it does recall a period of time last century when the MML had a spare HST set that was used by a rail-tour company (Pathfinder ?). Would there be any value in hiring a spare Chiltern set + Class 68 at weekends to undertake a series of tours to such as Aberystwyth, Barry Island, Llandudno and Weymouth to recreate the holiday trains to centres that were the choice of many Birmingham holidaymakers in the early 20th century ?