If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains 2016/17 Tours

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1020 Shireman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. 1020 Shireman

1020 Shireman Part of the furniture Friend

Relaxingly retired
    This came by Email from VT early today:

Dear Friends and Passengers,

We hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

In January, we usually send or email you the annual tour brochure detailing our exciting railtours for the forthcoming year. This year, we have decided to delay its distribution for a few weeks.

You may be aware from recent articles in the press that the ORR (Office of Road & Rail) are reviewing West Coast Railways’ licence to operate trains, both steam and diesel. Vintage Trains is reliant on West Coast Railways to operarte trains on our behalf. Until we know the outcome of this matter we think that it would not be right to accept any further bookings on our railtours until we are confident we are able to operate them.

One immediate casualty of this situation is the Valentines Express scheduled for Saturday 13th February. Given the current timetable of the ORR’s review, with no resolution expected before the end of January, we believe it would not be correct to continue to offer this train for sale. We are in the process of refunding all the bookings on this train, with the hope that the passengers will have plenty of time to make alternate plans for Valentine Day celebrations. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Additionally, at present we are accepting no further bookings on our other advertised trains, the Red Dragon - 12th March, Cumbrian Mountaineer - 19th March and the Moonraker - 9th April. We hope the situation with West Coast Railways is resolved in time to operate these trains, but should you wish to cancel your booking and make alternate arrangements, please either telephone the Vintage Trains Booking Office on 0121-708-4960 or email: tickets@VintageTrains.co.uk and we will arrange for an immediate credit note or refund.

Below is a provisional list of the trains we plan to run in 2016. Although we cannot accept bookings at this time, we hope you will pencil the dates into your diary so that when we can commit to running these trains, you will be free to travel with us.

We plan to write to you again in February, hopefully with better news and to let you know which trains we will be able to run.

We would also like to take this opportunity to announce an exclusive behind the scenes day with us at Tyseley in the spring. As soon as we have dates and details finalised, we send you further information.

We will endeavour to keep you updated on future developments and look forward to welcoming you aboard a Vintage Trains railtour in the near future.

Sincerely

Ben Mason for Vintage Trains

2. 6136

6136 Member

I have received an email from Tyseley stating that they will not be accepting any booking until there is a clear way forward with West Coast. In addition they are cancelling and refunding the Feb 13th Valentine's run.

I think a very positive and pragmatic approach.

3. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Just had an email, which looks genuine, from Vintage Trains, in which they say they are cancelling [their Valentines] tour, refunding money and not accepting new bookings on other tours until the West Coast situation is clarified.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  4. Robbo

Robbo Member

Yes I have received this too:
    "Dear Friends and Passengers,
    We hope you had a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    In January, we usually send or email you the annual tour brochure detailing our exciting railtours for the forthcoming year. This year, we have decided to delay its distribution for a few weeks.
    You may be aware from recent articles in the press that the ORR (Office of Road & Rail) are reviewing West Coast Railways’ licence to operate trains, both steam and diesel. Vintage Trains is reliant on West Coast Railways to operarte trains on our behalf. Until we know the outcome of this matter we think that it would not be right to accept any further bookings on our railtours until we are confident we are able to operate them.
    One immediate casualty of this situation is the Valentines Express scheduled for Saturday 13th February. Given the current timetable of the ORR’s review, with no resolution expected before the end of January, we believe it would not be correct to continue to offer this train for sale. We are in the process of refunding all the bookings on this train, with the hope that the passengers will have plenty of time to make alternate plans for Valentine Day celebrations. Please accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience this may cause you.
    Additionally, at present we are accepting no further bookings on our other advertised trains, the Red Dragon - 12th March, Cumbrian Mountaineer - 19th March and the Moonraker - 9th April. We hope the situation with West Coast Railways is resolved in time to operate these trains, but should you wish to cancel your booking and make alternate arrangements, please either telephone the Vintage Trains Booking Office on 0121-708-4960 or email: tickets@VintageTrains.co.uk and we will arrange for an immediate credit note or refund.
    Below is a provisional list of the trains we plan to run in 2016. Although we cannot accept bookings at this time, we hope you will pencil the dates into your diary so that when we can commit to running these trains, you will be free to travel with us.
    We plan to write to you again in February, hopefully with better news and to let you know which trains we will be able to run.
    We would also like to take this opportunity to announce an exclusive behind the scenes day with us at Tyseley in the spring. As soon as we have dates and details finalised, we send you further information.
    We will endeavour to keep you updated on future developments and look forward to welcoming you aboard a Vintage Trains railtour in the near future.
    Sincerely
    Ben Mason for Vintage Trains"

5. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

VT taking the professional lead, in my opinion.

SteveKesterton and 26D_M like this.
  6. 6024KEI

6024KEI Member

Exactly the sort of professional approach you'd expect from VT to be honest.

7. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

And indicative of how perilously uncertain things are. Commendably sensible by VT, putting customers first and enhancing its reputation by so doing.

8. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    An Interesting approach from VT, unlike RTC & Steam dreams, who see it as business as usual, despite the ongoing legal matter. For me, it felt like VT are not too confident of WCR, retaining their license. Here's hoping I'm way off the mark.

9. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
    @mike1522 as you asked VT on facebook , you may wish to read this thread

10. henrywinskill

henrywinskill Well-Known Member

Transgender toilet attendant
    Such a pity VT are not a TOC

11. Jimc

Jimc Part of the furniture

Once computers, now part time writer I suppose.
    Here's hoping *they're* way off the mark...

12. LMarsh1987

LMarsh1987 Part of the furniture Friend

TBC
    Get a grip ! I was typing on my phone.

13. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

All credit to VT. Setting an industry standard of openness, transparency and customer focus that some others could do well to emulate. Carrying on as though nothing is going on in the background can only lead to potential problems for others. I know what VT tours I want to do and will be ready if the news is good.

14. mrKnowwun

mrKnowwun Part of the furniture

Retired
    So what have they heard from the ickle lickle birdie?

I've been pondering on lashing out on a better video camera, think i'll forgoe that for the time being, might even have to get a part time job to pass the time & maybe lease myself that Jaguar HF sport brake with the money.

15. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer
  16. mrKnowwun

Retired
    Interesting quote

Ben Mason, of Vintage Trains, said “Until the investigation is concluded, West Coast Railways is on a self-imposed suspension.

“They are still allowed to run trains at this time but they have chosen not to"

17. mrKnowwun

Retired
    So who is running this weekends WCME?

18. 83B

83B Member

Crikey. So what happens if West Coast loses their license and cannot run steam? 2016 and beyond could prove very bleak for mainline steam. I really thought that all issues with ORR had been resolved last year but this is clearly not the case. We can only................
    [​IMG]

19. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

Maybe WC has temporarily scaled its steam Ops back to northern England?

20. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    It hasn't happened and hopefully will not, so keep calm and don't panic..

KentYeti likes this.