If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains 2016/17 Tours

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by 1020 Shireman, Jan 20, 2016.

1. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Without WCRC, and with vacuum-only locos, VT are in a bit of bind. If anyone needs a new "heritage TOC", they do. It occurs to me that if anyone wants to try their luck in this market, VT are the ideal first partner. I do so hope this isn't just wishful thinking on my part. I can see the pieces of the jigsaw dropping into place...
    • VT said they were working towards running steam again by the summer. The regular Brum - Stratford trips would be an ideal way for a new TOC, or at least, one new to steam, to get started and find their feet.
    • The time-scale's right, too. If the ground work was started around the time ORR said they were consulting about WCRC's future, they could be getting approval in July.
    • Having got established, the carefully planned, modest-scope day-trips that VT run out-of-season would make a good next step.
    • Bob Meanley is often mentioned in mess-room and bar-room conversations when people indulge in "if not WCRC, then what/who..." conversations. Certainly, he'd be near the top of my head-hunting list if I were going into that business...
    There's just one problem - where's the money coming from? Before you call out "Jeremy" in chorus, have a think about what else his various railway trusts and companies are doing at the moment, not least LNWR-H. He could probably find the funds if he was convinced, but is there the "bandwidth" to take on another new venture?

2. Prince Palatine

Prince Palatine New Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    If I was a betting man I'd be looking at an existing operator, maybe one that is the preferred bidder for one of the Belmond contract renewals, and possibly one that is willing to work with ex-WCRC drivers. You may infer what you like from that (but mostly that I'm not a betting man).

3. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

If I were a betting man, I'd bet on WCR operating again this spring with a full board of directors who fit ORR's RM3.

But as I don't bet, I won't be winning or losing anything!

4. Peter Hall

Peter Hall Guest

Would be very surprised if this is not what emerges. The existing TOC will almost certainly be principally a FOC that does limit passenger operations now. Vac braking would not be a problem provided the paperwork is correct and crews properly trained and recovery procedures approved. Plenty of heritage railways close by for initial training one of which at least can offer testing at 'Shakespeare' speeds. Access to Tyseley for occasional stabling of FOC locomotives etc would probably be part of the arrangement along with opportunities to use the VT a/b stock on third party as well as VT diesel excursions.

5. Ben Vintage-Trains

Ben Vintage-Trains Member

That's that all sorted then! Well - maybe not quite that easy.

6. Rich and Louise

Rich and Louise Member

Something tells me you know more than you're letting on (hopefully!)

7. Steamage

Steamage Part of the furniture

Help us out, here, Ben. How close are we? What are the real obstacles, besides what we can see from the outside? When do you expect to have something you can tell us?

8. Ben Vintage-Trains

I apologise, but whilst we are in negotiations, it would not be prudent to comment on details.

9. twr12

twr12 Well-Known Member

I'm sure normal service will be resumed soon. I.e. I'll be shot down in flames by opinions!

Rich and Louise likes this.
  10. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

To use a phrase from another setting, VT will decide when VT is ready and I'm happy to wait.

I don't gamble either but if DBS can organise itself internally so that they can employ retired loco men with all the usual safeguards for existing employees and training etc, then they must have much more they can bring to the steam charter table. The continuing role of the traction inspector will also need to be in this mix somehow.

11. gwr4090

gwr4090 Part of the furniture

Scientist (Rtd)
    I gather that DBC (as they are now called - DB Cargo vice DB Schenker) are indeed training new steam crews.

bakabung, mike1522 and Big Al like this.
  12. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Good stuff, whatever happens the more the merrier!

13. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

I would suspect that the first sign of a new emerging ToC will be something being registered at Companies House in terms of new Ltd Company, may be worth keeping an eye on emerging new directorships for well known names associated with companies such as VT, Icons of Steam etc?

14. KentYeti

KentYeti Guest

Oh boy, 012 pacifics on all the express passenger and double headed 43s back on the ore trains between Munster and Emden/Norddeich. :)

;)

15. Ben Vintage-Trains

We had a terrific group of people here at Tyseley on Saturday for our 'Castle Footplate Experience'; everyone left with big grins on their faces. The really good news is that no-one, not even I, managed to break 5043!

Keep an eye out for a second chance to get on the footplate of 5043 under the expert tutorage of Alastair & Dean.

16. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

I did a driver course with Clun Castle in 2005 and was well looked after by the Tyseley team. Anyone looking for developments with negotiations on the mainline front, will clearly have to wait a bit longer.

17. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

No No No! The Clun Castle driving experience was in 1997/8 at Tyseley. The 2005 Driver Experience, was on the Great Central with a standard 78xxx locomotive. They were also very kind and professional on the day.

18. Oberlokführer

Oberlokführer New Member

Engine Driver Carlisle Division 12D Workington
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    ASLEF run the show. There won't be any ex drivers or zero hours men driving trains for DBC. The only way forward for mainline steam is men who know steam from pres lines getting trained for mainline. If they aren't the knowledge won't be there and never can be.

Seagullman likes this.
  19. Ben Vintage-Trains

I disagree completely.

Unless the preserved railway driver is a full time mainline driver also, how on earth are they going to get qualified to be a part-time weekend mainline driver?

Kje7812, Seagullman and maureen like this.
  20. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Exactly. Steam charters are a small, but growing, part of DBC business. All that ASLEF would be concerned about is the employment rights and conditions of service of its members. Drawing across existing loco crews from elsewhere, with the obvious safeguards, seems quite sensible.

Seagullman and maureen like this.