If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Leviathan, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Leviathan

Leviathan New Member

Michael, assuming you are indeed the Chair of Vintage Trains Charitable Trust, your presence on the NatPres forum is to be warmly welcomed and your recent post is to be commended for its brevity :)

Seriously though, us old hands miss the level of engagement that Vintage Trains had with this forum when Ben Mason was with you. He earned a great deal of respect for that, even when, as was sometimes the case, he was at odds with forum members!

Nick M.

Johnb, Matt37401 and 70000 like this.
  2. Matt37401

Matt37401 Nat Pres stalwart

Nosy aren’t you?
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Seconded, and I say that as someone who hasn’t used Vintage Trains yet, there have been some of those at the sharp end of things at the top who have taken the time out to explain things to people on here and have had it thrown back at them.

gricerdon and maureen like this.
  3. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

Just a little bit of fun. I did a couple of (rough) calculations and worked out that this is how Great Western Castle no. 7029 Clun Castle would be like if she was doing 100mph in steam days. As it's the centenary of the famous Great Western Castles I decided to honour the engines that I love so much by showing what they would have done in their heyday, I hope you enjoy the video.

4. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I’m glad it is the 100th anniversary of the castle class!!!

5. Michael Whitehouse

Michael Whitehouse New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    Hello. I'm not aware I have actually posted anything actually but computer internet technology isn't really my thing. However...
    1. Our website is a Fareharbor booking system. As some readers have said, it is quite possible to find all our trains on it. It works especially well with links to advertising and some 25,000 Polar Express passengers did just that. However, we are going to improve the 'front end' and this should be effective by uploading our tour brochure which is easy to read and you can then just click on the relevant links. Please bear with us as we adjust 'in flight' You can always telephone the office with queries. Harjinder is back from her well earned three week holiday next week
    2. The WME runs anticlockwise in a circle so it will use both main stations in Birmingham - leaving from New St and returning to Snow Hill. It is a 12 hour trip
    3. 5043 will be tested late February as the new superheater is now tested and fitted. it has been a 'long haul' with new processes from design, 3D printed pattern, casting and new regulatory approvals for new pressure vessel equipment. However, we are through all that now and the header is fitted. Just have to refit the self cleaning smokebox apparatus and final varnishing, then depot and main line test run before the shareholders' trip to Didcot on. 4/3/23
    4. There is indeed no Club class (apart from those who have already booked the S&C trip), but passengers in either First or Tourist will be able to book either a continental breakfast or afternoon tea (both boxed) which effectively comes to the same thing and passengers booking such will be seated in the Tourist Restaurant Car or First Compartments (on Express Steam Trains) or Compartments or Pullman acting as First (on Diesel Explorers) and will also have a bar service. Pullman dining will still be available on all trains with an at seat hot meal service. So we think it will offer more flexibility, with a base £99 for Tourist Class; we believe the cheapest in the market? In the current climate that should be attractive. Tourist food options have only just been agreed with our caterer and Harj will load them when she gets back next week
    5. We have clarified the text for the new SE monthly trains from February-June
    6. The South Wales Explorer is going to Cardiff and also up the coal mine branch. This has/shortly will be added. It wasn't originally listed as we were still awaiting settlement of the TFW TAC; now sorted. We didn't wish to overpromise before we had access
    7. The WME, Lickey and SE trains will have no diesel (Subject to summer fire risk)
    8. The S&C trip with 7029 on 22/4/23 will run as bookings have now reached higher than last year's scheduled train. It is highly unlikely that 7029 will run there again in the foreseeable future (logistics!). 7029 is scheduled to haul the train from Hellifield, stop at Appleby, Carlisle curve, down Shap and all the way back to Birmingham. There will be a diesel on the back as we have to get this loco home too
    9. There will be a Castle 100 open weekend on 17/18th June at Tyseley. 4079 is booked. David Williams is organising a photo charter on Friday 16th. Martyn Creese is organising an early bird viewing on Saturday 17th culminating with a 4 Castle line up just before public opining at 10; which will also be available to the public. On 18th we plan to operate 4079 on the depot shuttle, 5043 on the first SE and 7029 on the second SE as a 'one off'. So two different Castles in one day on the SE and, over the weekend, the opportunity to ride behind three Castles in Birmingham. Please note tour companies have already reserved half the day's available seats as it is Fathers Day
    10. I will "look in' here occasionally, so you can store up your questions!

Johnb, Joseph Bevan, eggbert and 34 others like this.
  6. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

if anyone is interested in joining the Saturday morning session , please PM me asap . only eight places remain and it isn't officially advertised !

7. Leviathan

Leviathan New Member

Michael, thanks very much for your comprehensive update which I think addresses all the questions raised thus far on this thread. I think you can see from the number of 'Likes' your post has received that your engagement is very much appreciated.

I am particularly pleased to hear that there will be no diesel involvement in the Welsh Marches Express (Castle Centenarian) and will make a booking shortly.

I have mentioned this in an email to the VT office, but please can the miss-spelling of Cwmbargoed be corrected on the web page for the South Wales Explorer trip:

upload_2023-1-26_9-33-47.png

I think that translates as 'Bargoed Dog'!

Edit: Also, the Welsh Border is crossed just before Chepstow, not Lydney!

Nick M.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2023
    acorb and 26D_M like this.
  8. Michael Whitehouse

Press Release

immediate release

1st February, 2023

GWR Castle Class locomotive

5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe

Returns to main line service

· Earl of Mount Edgcumbe will return to steam at Tyseley Locomotive Works within the next two weeks, after completion of her 10 year boiler overhaul

· Depot trials will now take place, followed by main line testing with a light engine run to Stratford upon Avon, followed by a loaded test run

· 5043 is scheduled to return to main line passenger service on Saturday 4th March, double heading the CBS shareholders’ special train to the Didcot Railway Centre where both 5043 and 7029 will join with 4079 and 5051 in a four Castle line up for the public

· 5043 will then join the Vintage Trains main line locomotive pool for the 2023 tour programme. See www.vintagetrains.co.uk for rostered turns and excursion details. Additionally, 5043 is expected to operate certain Shakespeare Express trains, including the morning run on Sunday 15th June.

· 5043 will also feature at the Castle 100 open weekend at Tyseley Locomotive Depot over the weekend of Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th June

For enthusiasts to note:

· 5043 was due to be returned to service after her 10 year boiler overhaul in June 2021, following successful hydraulic and steam tests. However, the failure of the superheater header fitted to sister locomotive 7029, required 5043’s header to be removed and fitted to 7029 so she could continue in service

· No spare four row superheater exists and so a new drawing, pattern and casting had to be prepared, a time consuming and costly process

· Bob Meanley prepared the engineering drawings for the new superheater header, the pattern for which was digitally printed in Germany, cast at Boro Foundry and design approved following the change in pressure vessel regulations.

Editor’s Notes:

Vintage Trains

The founders of Vintage Trains Charitable Trust were world pioneers in establishing heritage railways and its main line operations. Based at Tyseley Locomotive Works in Birmingham UK, the charity has established a thriving heritage engineering workshop delivering first class services nationwide, whilst preserving the skills of the steam age and training young people in manufacturing. Vintage Trains established a Community Benefit Society to establish and develop its own train operating company in 2017, licensed to run express steam trains nationwide, offering an existing range of tours including:

* The Shakespeare Express in Shakespeare’s County between Birmingham and Stratford

* The Polar Express Train Ride from Birmingham at Christmas

* Diesel Explorers to popular tourist destinations and seaside towns

* Express Steam Trains running at up to 75 mph on the main line railway

* Private Special trains offering tailor made tours.

9. Michael Whitehouse

Press Release

immediate release

1st February, 2023

Castle Centenary Celebrations

Open weekend at Tyseley Locomotive Works

Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th June, 2023

and

Fathers’ Day Shakespeare Express

Sunday 18th June, 2023

Ride behind three Castle locomotives in one weekend

· Celebrating the centenary of the GWR Castle Class express steam locomotive design

· Featuring four Castle locomotives: 4079 Pendennis Castle*, 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe*, 5080 Defiant and 7029 Clun Castle* (*in steam)

· Saturday line up of all four Castles around the turntable (morning only)

· Saturday Turntable demonstrations and 3 Castle cavalcade

· Depot passenger shuttle trains

· Miniature railways, including the Sutton Miniature Railway

· Workshop gallery open and society stalls

· Sunday depot shuttle operated by 4079 Pendennis Castle

· Open weekend prices: Saturday £15 Adult, £5 children 5-15; Sunday £10 Adult, £3 children 5-15

· Sunday Shakespeare Express trains with 5043 Earl of Mount Edgcumbe in the morning and 7029 Clun Castle in the afternoon. Ride behind both locomotives (one each way) on the Stratford upon Avon midday departure.

· Website bookings: www.vintagetrains.co.uk. Bookings will be available from mid February

· Tickets also available to the open weekend on the day and, subject to availability, a walk on service is offered only in Tourist Class on the Shakespeare Express.

· Subject to availability

For enthusiasts to note:

· 4079 & 7029 were last together in steam at Tyseley in March 1967

· 4079 was last at Tyseley prior to the Great Western Envoy special train to Didcot on 29th May, 1977, immediately prior to her export to Australia

· 4079 provided courtesy Didcot Railway Centre

· The Shakespeare Express offers Pullman restaurant cars for full English Breakfast, Sunday lunch and Afternoon tea (depending on the time of day) and Tourist Class with buffet counter. All trains will stop at Tyseley main line station in each direction to connect with the open weekend.

· Locomotives will be exchanged at Snow Hill station between the first and second departure. This will be the only occasion in 2023 when two Castle locomotives will be used on this service on the same day. Trains will not be double headed.

Editor’s Notes:

Vintage Trains

The founders of Vintage Trains Charitable Trust were world pioneers in establishing heritage railways and its main line operations. Based at Tyseley Locomotive Works in Birmingham UK, the charity has established a thriving heritage engineering workshop delivering first class services nationwide, whilst preserving the skills of the steam age and training young people in manufacturing. Vintage Trains established a Community Benefit Society to establish and develop its own train operating company in 2017, licensed to run express steam trains nationwide, offering an existing range of tours including:

* The Shakespeare Express in Shakespeare’s County between Birmingham and Stratford

* The Polar Express Train Ride from Birmingham at Christmas

* Diesel Explorers to popular tourist destinations and seaside towns

* Express Steam Trains running at up to 75 mph on the main line railway

* Private Special trains offering tailor made tours.

10. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

Steamage likes this.
  11. Jamie C. Steel

Jamie C. Steel Member

Will RL likes this.
  12. JBTEvans

JBTEvans Well-Known Member

13. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

Here's my footage of 7029 Clun Castle starting her centenary celebration with the First Shakespeare Express of 2023 in February which is quite rare. The engine sounded magnificent up Wilmcote Bank with the afternoon leg back to Birmingham, and let's hope for more cracking runs from her and Earl of Mount Edgcumbe this year. I hope you enjoy it.

14. torgormaig

torgormaig Part of the furniture Friend

Centenary? What centenary is that? It is only eleven months older than I am, although much better preserved:(. Last time I thought about it I think I've got some way to go before my centenary.

Peter

15. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

Probably but all railtour timings when first published (with perhaps the exception of regulars like the Euston CME path) are an aspiration rather than fact after the NR planning. I would expect any member of NP to be aware of that fact.

Romsey likes this.
  16. AlexGWR1994

AlexGWR1994 Member

I meant the centenary of the Great Western Castle Class, not Clun Castle herself. My bad! :Facepalm:

17. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Perhaps you need a major overhaul. :rolleyes::)

MellishR likes this.
  18. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Apology for serious thread drift, but I am moved to mention the first show that I saw in last year's Edinburgh Fringe; a woman books herself in for a service.

Attached Files:

Romsey likes this.
  19. LittleRedTrain

LittleRedTrain Member

Although this is to be expected, I do find it a bit disappointing that some operators are very slow to update their own websites and notify booked customers of the confirmed timings. With a competent IT and admin setup, it should really only be a 5 minute job.
    For example, these timings have been in RTT for over a week, but the VT site is still showing the original approximate timings, and despite being booked on the trip, I've had no e-mail with the confirmed timings.

This is by no means unique to VT though, the same applies to the Pathfinder trip I'm booked on in April. (The proposed timings would have allowed me to access it by service train, the revised ones won't, though fortunately I'd already booked a flexible hotel room in anticipation).

It might encourage bookings if the general public know earlier rather than later whether actually they'll be able to reach the train by public transport and/or whether they'll need to make a hotel booking (so can take advantage of cheaper prices).

20. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Part of the furniture

I would not disagree with that logic at all, and yes it does seem to apply for all tour companies. They however end up a bit between a rock and a hard place as if you put 05:00 as a departure time you probably put many of the bookings off in the first place. I think the worst "shift" I have experienced was and after 07:00 Slough start that became 05:20.
    Maybe a clearer explanation of how it works and suggesting not booking non refundable tickets or hotel accommodation may help.