If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains 2023

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Leviathan, Dec 2, 2022.

1. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I think that this may be an error by VT.

You advertise a train on a given date. You book on that date. That's the contract. You can't then force people to travel on an alternative date. I think you are required to offer a refund to anyone who says that the alternative date is inconvenient.

26D_M and LittleRedTrain like this.
  2. 5944

5944 Resident of Nat Pres

Train Maintainer for GTR at Hornsey
    It gets better - if you join on the diesel leg, you get turfed off at Finsbury Park while the train goes to Ferme Park for the 47 to run round, then picked up again as the stock heads into King's Cross. Same again on the return too. No idea why, Ferme Park has been used for charters in the past, indeed the Hastings DEMU went in there a few weeks ago.

FPK is fine as an interchange, but it's not somewhere to spend best part of an hour in the morning and and especially not at 8pm in the evening. There's no virtually no waiting areas on the up platforms for a start.

And how does it work with premier dining, for example if you join at Watford? Chucked off the train halfway through breakfast, or have to wait 2 1/2 hours after joining the train to be able to eat?

3. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

I was once a steward on a Central Wales trip where despite much attempted negotiation we had to get all the passengers off for about an hour (mid dinner for those in dining) at Shrewsbury so the steam could come off and diesel attached in the sidings. So not unique if that is the plan.

4. Gladiator 5076

If people have already booked before the strike announcement then I agree, however bookings made with this caveat in place probably are legal as the contract would be made on that basis.

26D_M likes this.
  5. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

When I booked they said that the trip might have to be redated. I said I might or might not wish to do the other date and they seemed OK with that.

6. Phil K

Phil K Member

We booked before the backup date was announced. We were called and asked if we would be available on the second date once iif it needed to be rescheduled - as we both were available I'm not sure what the option would have been if i was not available.

Paul42 likes this.
  7. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Yes I am an active volunteer

Footage from my eldest of the last summer Shakespeare Express . The afternoon run through Dorridge was spine tingling

Both pieces of footage from my two at Dorridge

Last edited: Sep 3, 2023
    ragl, Oswald T Wistle, gms2 and 5 others like this.
  8. Steam Valley Productions

Steam Valley Productions New Member

5043 storms Dorridge on the last run of the Shakespeare Summer Season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Sidmouth

10. Leviathan

Leviathan New Member

For the avoidance of doubt, I contacted VT to confirm whether the diesel will remain on the rear of the train for the journey to Lincoln and back, which it will. I think Michael Whitehouse has previously confirmed that this is their default modus operandi (Shakespeare and Lickey trips excepted), though it would be helpful to see it mentioned on the website when you look at the details of a trip.

Anyway, although I shall not be travelling, I wish VT every success with this enterprising trip.

While I love the Mk 2 coaches that VT use, it is a great pity that there were never any dual-braked versions built. On today's railway, that would increase the options for rescuing a failed train formed of this stock without having to have a vacuum braked diesel loco in the consist.

Nick M.

11. Pete Thornhill

Pete Thornhill Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Administrator Moderator Friend

It’s possible for them to be dual braked, that (along with dual heat) is exactly what the Dean Forest did with their pair.

12. Sidmouth

and where is this miracuously spare diesel to effect a rescue going to be sat just on the off chance someone has a failure . Is there a TOC equivalent of the AA/RAC/Green Flag I have somehow missed ?

13. Gladiator 5076

Exactly, and as Steam Dreams demonstrated the other week even having a diesel does not always guarantee a speedy resolution to the problem if the steam loco has a failure that requires work before any movement.

14. alastair

alastair Well-Known Member

I always understood NR had the right to commandeer any available locomotive to at least clear the line, although granted that could still be a considerable distance away.

Surely it's ultimately a question of risk management? In S England, WCRC regularly run unassisted to Par, Bishops Lydeard and Worcester (and maybe other places) and I don't think they have rescue locomotives sitting around anywhere? (Happy to be corrected if I am wrong).

Leviathan likes this.
  15. Gladiator 5076

Well WCRC would normally have a loco at Southall and in the past one has been sent to the WSR to bring a tour back. On the Par trips the diesel is usually at Bristol (or recently before the turntable was fixed the steam was left at Plymouth anyway).But the WCRC stock is dual braked, I thought the Vintage stock is vacuum (could be wrong) but there are not locos normally sitting around with spare drivers these days anyway.

Leviathan and alastair like this.
  16. Michael Whitehouse

Michael Whitehouse New Member

Just a couple of words about the Kings Cross to Lincoln trip. We have now managed to agree a path with NR which avoids anyone being “turfed off the train” en route whilst watering, so you can relax. The outward diesel piloted journey from Coleshill to London route had to be worked out by our NR planning friends in the usual course and this has now been completed. We have therefore added new pick up stops so folk can travel with us easier rather than making their way to London direct. The diesel will be on the front all the way to London and back again. On the ECML 7029 will of course lead, but the diesel will be towed on the back. No one in their right minds is going to run over that route without tagging a diesel. As strikes remain a risk, we do require passengers to reserve two dates (as on the website) and we will not refund if 30/9 can’t run but 7/10 can. That’s the deal. If there are any passengers who may have booked before we posted that we will have spoken with them. The reason for this step is to give everyone the best chance of this one off journey and us the best chance of keeping ticket bookings. This is an expensive trip to run. We just like to be up front with the plan. No booked passengers have any issue I am aware of and, of course, it is the passengers who matter. Thanks

17. MellishR

When I booked, by phone, they told me that the trip might need to run on the later date and I told them that, in that event, I might or might not still wish to travel. They did not tell me that there would be no refund. If in the end it does run on the later date, I can't make that date, and there is no refund, I hope they will not re-sell my seat to someone else.

18. Gladiator 5076

Whilst I agree in that instance you describe you should have a refund, I see no reason why your seat should not be resold if you do not turn up on the day (assumes of course they would be doing POTD). Airlines do it, hotels do it, why should not a tour company?

19. MellishR

I agree there would be nothing wrong with reselling a seat if they have given a refund, but, if they have kept the money from the person who originally booked it, selling it a second time would be cheeky.

20. Leviathan

Leviathan New Member

30th September has been announced as a strike day by Aslef, so will the Lincoln tour now run on 7th October?