If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Vintage Trains The Red Rose 16th April 2011

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by neildimmer, Feb 23, 2011.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A bit late but here's my effort, not the best start, camera although on, would not start to record, had to shut it down and start again...

Acton Bridge, Miles Platting, Copy Pit and Betley.

[youtube]PVNoIpXihPc[/youtube]

2. Steve from GWR

Steve from GWR Well-Known Member

Ralph, that's a fantastic video, great locations, and the audio is amazing. Thank you. Looks like The Earl lived up to everyone's expectations :)

3. FlyingScotsman4472

FlyingScotsman4472 Member

4. cossie matt

cossie matt Member

Reservoir keeper for United Utilities
    I'm speechless at the Miles platting clip Ralph, never seen ANYTHING like that ! Unbelievable. That monster really can climb hills !!

Cracking effort all round today chaps, this thread has been a pleasure to view.

5. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Great video Ralph!

I was stood on the bridge in your shot at Copy Pit and couldn't believe the speed she was going. I had to quickly increase the shutter speed on my camera as she approached to prevent blur! Even with only 9 coaches the climb to Copy Pit is no pushover. I was extemely impressed by the way 'Edgecumbe' tackled it - and the sound was awsome!

Like some else asked - Beatock next? She'll flatten it! (And that from a 'Duchess' man!)

Alan.

6. walkerp1

walkerp1 New Member

7. 30910

30910 Member

Retired
  8. Rick.E

Rick.E Member

RETIRED
    I couldn't get up to Copy pit. Had to make do with Staffordshire!

http://rickeborall.zenfolio.com scroll down to recent updates. Click on image to enlarge!

All the best...Rick

9. saltydog

saltydog Part of the furniture

Retired
    Once again some excellent video and photo's.
    If this was a football match the score would now read....The Earl 3 - Northern Hills o.:)
    It's rather gratifying to see the comments on here and elsewhere about her exploits in the North. A wonderful tribute to Bob, Alistair and the team of young engineers at Tyseley.

10. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

11. swampthing

swampthing New Member

12. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

I don't understand the fuss all the Northerners make about these mole hills which for the third time have been tamed by a proper engine, 5043 was the master of it's task all day frankly, never showing any signs of trouble climbing throughout, Copy Pit was made to look easy and swiftly dispatched with some typical Castle noise, the largely high speed run from Farrinton jcn - Crewe was another highlight.

I'll add some pictures later but exotic locations such as Crewe & Blackburn are nothing to write home about from a photography point of view.

13. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired
    Credit where it's due, it gave a lot of people a lot of pleasure yesterday. The good folk of Brighouse won't forget that sound when it departed. Well done to all concerned.:thumb:

Of course, a good showing over our hill can only be achieved by using pure northern water.:laugh:

Oh, and somebody or SOMETHING set fire to our wonderful land near Brighouse. :hand:

14. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and compliments. It was a grand day out as a man and his dog once said in a Northern accent! The highlights were obviously Miles Platting, Standedge and Copy Pit, which was of course why we went there in the first place. The bonus was the point being worked on at Heaton Norris which caused us to be diverted onto the WCML and then via Man Vic giving us Miles Platting as an extra. It was helpful getting a run through Vic and the noise under the canopy was something to be heard but we got checked on the steep bit at the top by a Sprinter coming across our bows. Standedge was a great experience too but Copy Pit was the one we were waiting for. The engine gradually accelerated up the grade and on the 2 or 3 occasions when I went over to look at the speedo we were doing just about 40 mph although the timers will obviously offer their version of events. Cut off was around the 55% mark with about 4/5ths regulator. There have been some queries as to why it was shut off towards the top. We were subject to a 20 mph speed restriction just over the top and we were in danger of going over line speed anyway so it was going to be eased, but the exhaust injector knocked off, and we had to ease the regulator to get it back on - one or two of the videos show the water starting to flow again from the left hand overflow. Boiler pressure was just below the red line, and it began to blow off once the regulator was closed at the summit, so it was not winded by the effort at all. The day was completed by some excellent running on the WCML in both directions. Crews for the day were Dvr Churchill Tys to Crewe, Dvr Kelly for the rest of the day, and firemen were Alastair Crewe to Blackburn and Dean Blackburn to Tys.

I noticed that one commentator has posted a score for 5043 3 northern hills 0. Could I note that there is also another competition ongoing where the score is 5043 3 smart alecs 0. Oh and by the way we did fail on one thing, we were looking for a bloke with some ghastly American gas guzzler so that we could return the brickbats, but failed to spot said monstrosity.

Another day perhaps.

regards
    Bob

15. cg

cg Well-Known Member

16. hatherton hall

hatherton hall Well-Known Member

Sounds like a fantastic tour and proves what a great renovation job was achieved by Bob M and his men. I just wish I had been there. 5043 is turning out to be the top loco in the UK for consistant high calibre performances!

The footage of the climb of Miles Platting bank was teriffic.

Just imagine what the blue King 6023 could do on the gruelling climb and Copy Pit. Can't wait for that!

Nick

17. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
  18. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

Hopefully the man named after a large pink American car will have noted from this excellent clip that despite the speed at the top of the climb to Diggle, the safety valves appear to be still feathering. Some people just never learn!

19. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Thanks for the report Bob, the Earl obviously performed well all day. Glad you cleared up the reason for the regulator being eased back on Copy Pit, I thought at first she had slipped but on checking the footage saw that that was not the case.
    A great effort by all involved and I'll bet Mr Kelly enjoyed his day out, with a loco in such obvious fine fettle, how could he not. By the way, how many times has he driven 5043, not that many I believe?

Said gentleman in gas guzzler is I believe following that other lot round the country..

One observation I must make though, whilst 5043 was quite loud climbing Madeley bank, 6201 some 90 minute earlier was even louder...:tape2:

20. 45581

45581 Part of the furniture

The deer at Copy Pit has adopted the sheep or visa versa and is usualy around when the area is a bit quieter.