If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

'Vocal' engines

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Chris86, Jan 30, 2012.

1. mike1522

mike1522 Long Time Member Friend

I agree

2. mike1522

5043 vs. 5051

As a class, I love castles period.

3. BR8P

BR8P New Member

71000 digging into something I think is a treat for the ears.

4. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    5051 is probably the noisiest engine I have ever heard.

Back before Leamington was re-signaled 5051 was checked at the gantry by Ford's foundry, once given the road and opened up the noise was incredible too loud really, it could still be heard passing Fosse Rd.

I have always thought 5051 is all noise and no go, I have had a few runs behind it and it has never impressed me.

5029 seems to be a better engine altogether, with 5043 in a different league again but in faiirness that is a 4 row DC castle.

The recently posted excerpts from PSOV showed 7325 leaving Worcester showing just how noisy it can be, although I believe at the time the boiler pressure had been increased to 225 psi for a trial.

Cheers Dave

5. King.6024

King.6024 New Member

I think 6024 is quite a vocal engine when climbing! She just sounds good all the time in my books though!!

6. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Not much mention of Bulleid pacifics on this thread, and perhaps understandably. I recall waiting for Clan Line hauling the VSOE pullmans on a slightly different route than usual - the Portsmouth Direct rather than the Surrey Hills - and even conveniently positioned near the lineside on the 1 in 80 up to Buriton Tunnel, I could SEE it (and not just the steam) before I could HEAR it. However, Clan line can be vocal - May 1995, again with the VSOE pullmans in tow, it sounded great tackling the climb up from Deal to Guston Tunnel, which I think is about 1 in 74 at steepest. I've got a superb photo, but regrettably I'm no sound recordist.

Another vocal loco I can remember is 46229 climbing Gresford Bank in 1981. Could hear it coming ages before it appeared. Regrettably again, only a photo to remind me of the occason. Classmate 6233 made a heck of a lot of noise climbing Gomshall Bank when I was travelling back from Oxford behind it - wonderful stuff.

I agree with Neil Scott about 45231. This engine ran a Cathedrals Express to Hastings and Eastbourne in 2005. I was at St Leonard's Warrior Square waiting for the return leg, and could hear the gunshot exhaust echoing through Hastings Tunnel right from the moment is left Hastings Station.

7. Stu in Torbay

Stu in Torbay Part of the furniture

GPS Navigation Engineer
  8. mike1522

Clan Line may not have the loud exhaust of the other engines but when her whistle goes off wow.

9. 63601

63601 Member

10. mike1522

11. OldChap

OldChap Member

No I do not currently volunteer
    For me sitting in the S&T PMV at Medstead and Four Marks MHR one crisp and snow dusted winter morning in the 90's during the santa's when the silence was broken by the S160 701 charging up the bank, the sound and echo across Hampshire was absolutely fantastic and the sound of the SA whistle it had at the time was one to remember also.

Although not working particularly hard the sight and sound of 34027 cantering through Vauxhall at dusk on the first steam hauled working from Waterloo since 1967 (was it 1994?) was a remarkable sight and sound for those like myself with a Southern bias; this still makes me smile!

On the Seven Valley one rain swept weekend again in the 90’s a Ivatt 2-6-0 struggled with the load and made a glorious sound that even my then girlfriend and now wife made comment.

12. mike1522

Would 30053 be considered vocal for its size? The loco performed impressively at the GCR gala last weekend.

13. Shaggy

Shaggy Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    Although it may seem unbelievable, the first steam over Southern Metals since the ban was in 1986 when 35027 ran the Blackmore Vale Express to Yeovil Junction. A friend recently sent me a photo of this train approaching Salisbury on its return. The event was remembered on 16th July 2011 when the run was re-enacted with Clan Line to celebrate 25 years of post 68 Southern Steam!

14. Southernman99

Southernman99 Member Friend

92212 on the friday at the SVR ASG last year. She came thundering through Eardington, shut off, then opened wide out. I could listen to that all day, everyday. If not Id say 7802, lovely loud bark well pulled up.

15. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    When you get it sounding like a standard 4 it certainly can be pretty vocal!

16. Big Dave

Big Dave Member

Retired
    On this subject a memory of a trip I took from Plymouth to Worcester behind 6024 and 7325.

6024 had had a bad one and was more or less a spent force just helping when it had some steam.

L:eaving Bristol in the dark on a cold still .vening 6024 had been able to help getting the train started but by the start of Ashley Hill bank but was now little more than part of the load.

7325's exhaust sounded like gunshots and echoed and re-echord around Bristol but she got us to the top making a fantastic sound.

One has to feel for the crew of the King being there and not being able to help for long periods, still it was a trip I would not have missed for anything.

Cheers Dave

17. Ben Jervis

Ben Jervis Member

18. NSWGR 3827

NSWGR 3827 New Member

Fitter & Machineist
  19. Robert Heath No.6

Robert Heath No.6 Well-Known Member

20. Rumpole

Rumpole Part of the furniture

Tea-Maker
    Come down first week of August when we hang 6 on and you'll find out what it can sound like; we may not have the steepest gradients, but 2 miles of 1 in 76 from a standing start at Herston can make an engine cough.