If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Volk's Railway wins substantial £1.54m HLF grant

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Axe, Jun 7, 2014.

1. Axe

Axe Member

Retired (Electronics Engineer)
    The Volk’s Railway, which runs for a mile along Brighton seafront from the Palace Pier to Black Rock, was the first public electric railway in the country when it opened in 1883. But with time inevitably taking its toll on the landmark line, Brighton & Hove City Council and the Volk’s Electric Railway Association have secured £1.54 million of funding from the Heritage Lottery Fund to rejuvenate the attraction and create opportunities for education and community involvement.

The grant will be used to:
    • Restore and reinstate three of the original carriages to increase the railway’s capacity;
    • Pay for a visitor centre at the aquarium station to give a history of Magnus Volk and how he came up with his pioneering railway;
    • Create a conservation workshop to protect the historic carriages;
    • Create a place to watch restoration work being carried out; and
    • Provide training for volunteers and develop new learning materials and school sessions.

See: http://www.theargus.co.uk/news/11260954._/

Chris

HY_4273 likes this.
  2. Greenway

Greenway Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    This sounds more like where HLF money should be directed. Well done Volk's I hope it serves you well.

HY_4273 likes this.
  3. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Great news. I only hope that all this is done sympathetically and doesn't destroy the lines character. I'm always wary that, to get HLF funding, things often tend to go in a direction that they don't really want to go.

HY_4273 likes this.