If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

VT - Pannier Rambler & Nat Pres day out - 9600 & L94 (7752) - Nov 3rd

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by Ben Vintage-Trains, Jul 9, 2012.

1. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    We fdid not go all the way to Small Heath Jun before heading south, we used the Tyseley DT SDG, so were a bit cearly as a result.

2. campainr

campainr Well-Known Member

Through Moor St at 12:43. Both bunker first with 9600 leading - load 7.

3. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
  4. mattspencer

mattspencer Well-Known Member

Just got back from an excellent day out with VT. The Panniers have been on fine form all day. It was good run from Stratford to Tyseley over the North Warks line. Then on the return the pair stormed up the Lickey. The train kept to time most of the day. Good to travel over the X-City south by steam for the first time. Well done all involved :)

A couple of photos from Stratford and Worcester

http://railways.mjspencer.com/gallery/v/November2012/

5. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Three phots from Yardley Wood, Hall Green & Birmingham New Street, though circumstances contrived to make shooting rather more difficult that I'd like: November 2012 Mainline/Misc - a set on Flickr

I don't think there was a sole in the city centre who wasn't made aware of the New Street departure what with 4 whistles and a some keen arms!.

6. cg

cg Well-Known Member

Matt Spencer - Great night shot from Worcester.

7. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

H1580001.JPG

Screenshot from my video of the pair storming up the Lickey past Vigo Crossing. Had someone's flash go off at the right moment, well, a second earlier would have been better. Noisy little buggers these two are! ;)

8. david1984

david1984 Resident of Nat Pres

Seconded.

9. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

That's brilliant. Look forward to seeing the video.

Dave

10. KristianGWR

KristianGWR Member

Cheers Dave :) It's currently rendering as we speak, nice meeting you again at Droitwich Spa earlier.

11. bantam61668

bantam61668 New Member

Back from a long but very enjoyable day out. The panniers were excellent throughout, especially on the mound they flattened just after Bromsgrove. Many thanks to all those at VT who made it possible, now looking forward to Lizzie in a couple of weeks.

A couple of photos from the day here:
    Flickr: Bantam61668's Photostream

Matt, excellent shot at Worcester, I guess it's the top of your head I just cropped out of my effort

12. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

A very enjoyable trip thanks to Vintage Trains and the West Coast Crews.

13. D1002

D1002 Resident of Nat Pres

14. malc

malc Part of the furniture

Excellent trip yesterday! Why do we need Posing Pacifics when we have locos like the Panniers on the mainline. Even Arthur's PA announcements were almost friendly and we weren't kept waiting for too long in the rain at Tyseley before being allowed on the train (two of my gripes with VT tours).

15. garstangpost

garstangpost New Member

16. RayMason

RayMason Member

Company secretary. Finance director
    Brilliant day! I really enjoyed the whole day. Club class was friendly with attentive service.
    I found it amazing to arr at New St via Five Ways +able to get back to Exeter.
    The sound of the panniers was wonderful. Having proper stops with time at Worcester was far better than some other tours. Would a tour of Cornish branches with these 2 locos be possible.?Winter sunday mornings allow scope with sat to Fowey etc. Well done to VT AAA++

17. Bifur01

Bifur01 Member

Go on VT. Put them on Sapperton!

18. bob.meanley

bob.meanley Member

Nice idea Bifur, but there are a great number of problems in contemplating this. They can be thirsty on occasion and it is not really sensible to contemplate doing much more than 30 miles, particularly in the steam heating season. On the day they can on occasion come up with surprising increase in this range, particular when it is possible to drive them on first valve rather than on the main valve of the regulator. Having said this both appear to have used less than half a tank each over the 19 miles from Bromsgrove to Tyseley last night. Coal is another issue and it needs some sort of transfer if you go over 100 miles total. From experience we can tell you that 120 to 130 miles is about as much as you want to do in a day with them as their management can be much harder work than doing the same with a Hall or Castle, not least beacuse there are 2 engines to look after.

In looking at Sapperton there a number of factors to consider. first you have to get to Gloucester and that is 65 miles or so from Tyseley, that is at least 2 water stops and you are mixed up with a lot of 100mph trains, we do have issues fitting 5043 in on this line. You then have to go to Swindon which is about 100 miles from Tyseley and there are considerable line occupation issues on the Kemble Swindon stretch which is why there are suggestions to re-double it, and I seriously doubt that it would be possible to fit them in on this stretch inclkuding the probable need for even a short water stop.

All in all something that can bring a smile just thinking about it but in reality it is probably on the too difficult pile because of logistical and practical reasons.

Regards
    Bob

19. belle1

belle1 Part of the furniture Moderator

I really enjoyed yesterdays run and thanks to Vintage Trains and others involved. Nice to see a few people I knew and put faces to names of a few others members on here. Paul42, sorry I didn't get chance to introduce myself as I was supposed to be sitting opposite you but I was reallocated a spare seat when we first boarded with Ralph and Al.

Bens bacon rolls were much appreciated and thanks for the complimentary After Eights...did everyone get their share in the end?...Though I suppose some people in the Nat Pres coach had one for each user ID.... :whistle: :tape2:

I will check out the video footage I took later today and see if there is anything worth putting up.

Thanks again, Neil.

20. camraman

camraman Member

Retired
    My second trip with the panniers and thoroughly enjoyable too. Good company in coach H of course!