If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Waterloo Sunset 1997?

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Andy Louch, Nov 28, 2017.

1. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    Been scanning some slides this afternoon and have come across this image. It's at Romsey (Hants.) and I believe it's 34027 behind Clan Line.
    Despite searching t'Internet I can't find details of this running of Waterloo Sunset. Any ideas please? Thanks.

Attached Files:

CLN_WVR likes this.
  2. Johnb

Johnb Nat Pres stalwart

Retired, best job I've ever had
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Nothing on Sixbellsjunction about this but it ran on 17 May 1997, Waterloo - Poole via Andover and Eastleigh

3. Romsey

Romsey Part of the furniture

Retired SPM
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Yes the second loco was 34027. Quite an eventful day for the crews, support crew and passengers also ERPS and MHR who helped with the repairs. From my personal records - combined from magazine reports, industry sources and preservation contacts.

S 17/5/97

35028 & 34027
    0918 Waterloo - Basingstoke - 1057-11W22 Andover - Dean - 12/02 Romsey - 12L37 Eastleigh
    1247 Eastleigh - Bournemouth - 1400 Poole # - one loco each way
    34027 }
    1846 Poole - Bournemouth - 1958 Southampton

34027 & 35028
    2033 Southampton - Winchester - Basingstoke - Waterloo 2232 [Pilot loco detached at Clapham Jn, then followed train into Waterloo to haul ECS to Clapham Yard.]

{34027 hit by lump of concrete near Wimbledon, 30 late from Andover, boiler cladding and lubricator damaged. Following train , 1035 W’loo - Exe St.D, 18’L ex Andover. At Eastleigh 34027 to depot for repair, train forward 50’ late worked by 35028 - duties swapped for rest of day. 34027 worked L//E to Poole after repair, spare lubricator borrowed from MHR. Train on time from Poole, Southampton dep 10’ early, 28’ early from Woking ! Some consequential delays to SWT services.}

Cheers, Neil

CLN_WVR likes this.
  4. Andy Louch

Andy Louch Member

Retired (best job I've ever had!)
    Hello Neil, fantastic!! I vaguely remember it now and explains why I have a couple of slides of CL running 'solo'.
    As John notes, nothing on 6 Bells; my usual 'go to' resource!
    I was pretty 'slack' at captioning my steam and preservation slides in the pre-digital era. Much more vigilant with the diesel and electric images although DMU/EMU are all pretty much guesswork as well!
    Thanks again, Andy

5. green five

green five Resident of Nat Pres

Saw this special coming back through Winchfield. My Mum was with me and my Dad on this occasion. I always remember this trip because my Mum got very emotional when the loco crews engaged in some very enthusiastic whistling for the assembled crowd on the footbridge. Perhaps my Mum recognised 34027 from her visit to Barry Scrapyard during my parents honeymoon (I am not joking, I have seen the photos of my Mum standing beside many Barry wrecks!)

Sent from my D6603 using Tapatalk