If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Waverley and Balmoral

Discussion in 'Everything Else Heritage' started by channel, Sep 6, 2009.

1. dace83

dace83 Well-Known Member

Shame Hogarts wasn't on an island

2. Guest

Guest Part of the furniture Account Suspended

Occasional
    It has been very concerning this morning to see the live coverage from BBC Glasgow as their office is immediately alongside Waverley's berth and the Clyde has been overtopping the riverside walkways.

That means the paddlebox belting would be about three feet above the walkway and that there could be a real risk of her coming down and landing with the port paddlebox "leaning" on the wall - not a desirable outlook, but as the wind was just off the port bow hopefully it would keep her clear push her into the river rather than towards the wall.

At around 13.00 it was relief to see that the tide has dropped considerably and the lack of coverage indicates that the worst is safely past - but I'll bet that Kenny was having a few buttock clenching moments - and had a list of teleporter hire companies to hand in case she needed pushing clear.

You aren't even safe when tied up sometimes!

3. Guest

Occasional
    So - after a rather hectic Friday night and Saturday morning, I was able to reveal at the NRM on Saturday afternoon:-

Waverley will be dry docked in the Garvel in April and followed straight away by Balmoral

Waverley will be attending the Queen's Thames Pageant and has a berth in the Pool of London

I collected a draft Scottish timetable at the SECC on Friday, copies of which can be made available on request

The 22 point improvement agenda which I took through the PSPS AGM in November is being worked on, but Rome was not built in a day. It will take time to change hearts and minds as well as business practices to obtain results

Apparently Conwy C B C are at ITT stage with the repairs to Llandudno pier to allow ships to call again. This needs to be verified and I am on the case - but if it means a Liverpool Bay cruising programme in 2013 then we have a year to gert on with the planning.

I can also confirm that the PSPS/WSN appeal for funds was subscribed to in the sum of over £900,000 during 2011. How those funds are hekld between our charities and how they are to be allocated remains to be announced.

Not a wasted week then!

4. Sidmouth

Sidmouth Resident of Nat Pres Staff Member Moderator

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Many thanks TBird . Good to see you doing doing what you are best at .

5. Guest

Occasional
    Errata

Hot off the press

Waverley has been unable to finalise berthing or access arrangements for and to the ship for the Thames pageant and will therefore not be attendeding. The turnover possibilities if we had been able to promote three premium events would have been considerable. Being unable to hold even one kills the idea of attending stone dead.

Welcome to couldn't organise a pxxx up in a brewery country - and its not Waverley's fault

6. Guest

Occasional
  7. Guest

Occasional
    Good to see the M V Balmoral off the turn buoy at Weymouth in the BBC News in full sun. I just hope she is doing good business!

8. MAPLE CHRIS

MAPLE CHRIS Member

Was booked on the Waverley today from Swanage to Weymouth checked the website at 0930 this morning to check that all is well and set off on a 150 mile round trip only to find that the trip from Swanage was cancelled.Apparently this happenend yesterday as well there were many disgruntled people at the pier entrance today surely it would of been possible to post details about this on the Website as this would of saved a wasted journey with all the costs that were incurred. i rang the Waverley office and was told i could transfer to a different day although one person had booked on five different trips and all had not run so it would appear that the mainline steam operators are not the only ones in the heritage business who are unable to deliver what they promote on their website.Yes it was windy but this was forecasted a couple of days ago so there really are no excuses to let people know i am sure that the Waverley has lost more revenue through their inability to let people know whats going on i for one will probaly not bother to book again.

9. john34077

john34077 New Member

Was on holday in Lulworth yesterday so thought I would take a look at the appointed hour, only to be disappointed (but not as much as Maple Chris!). Someone told us that it didn't leave Worthing as planned, and passengers were sent to pick it up elsewhere, so we weren't very surprised.
    Looking at the port departures it started early doors from Weymouth and called at Portsmouth, Yarmouth, Portsmouth and Southampton, so I guess it did an around the Island trip. Can anyone confirm?

John

10. clee

clee New Member

11. BristleGWR

BristleGWR Member

12. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    A certain Mr Gradwell in his newsletter had as you can imagine some harsh words concerning this, mentioning 'those who think they know best'. Now where have I heard a similar phrase before.:rolleyes1:

13. maggot

maggot New Member Account Suspended

Tv background or as little as possible
    And you have a detailed knowledge of the set up of WEL/WSN/PSPS? You have been a PSPS member since? And the last time you sailed was?
    If you had any idea about the poor management of the ships then you could comment.
    Ralph, you seem to like to comment on acidly on many things - look & learn.
    When are you coming to Stalybridge to show your video of the ships - you seem to like our big screen to show your rail DVD's
    Are you going to ban me now?

14. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

Photos of a trip on Waverley from Clevedon to Ilfracombe last September may be of interest. I have also included shots of other preserved paddlers including Lincoln Castle in 1975 (now scrapped), Wingfield Castle, John H Amos, Eppleton Hall (in San Francisco) and Delta King, a stern-wheeler built by Denny and now in Sacramento California:

Waverley and other paddle steamers - andrewstransport's Photos

Cheers

Andrew N