If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WCRC Santa Specials 2018

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by GWR4707, May 2, 2018.

1. black5

black5 Well-Known Member

Theatre
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Victor, Copper-capped and 26D_M like this.
  2. Bodorganboy

Bodorganboy Member

No I do not currently volunteer

Link to our footage of the first WCRC Santa Special with 35018 British India Line

keith6233 and nige757 like this.
  3. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    WCRC Santa Special 25 November 2018 – 35018 British India Line hauling 12+POB & 47.760 on the rear

This is the second year of WCRC’s Santa Specials and last year’s trip was thoroughly entertaining, Mrs W really enjoyed it, so much so that she decided not to bother this year. (She had a great-great uncle Ebenezer, it’s true, honestly, it really is true! so “Bah, humbug” comes naturally). NR works at Horrocksford prevented a run round the Hellifield, Blackburn circle and so it was out over Shap and back the same way with the briefest of stops in Carlisle. Last year Mrs W and I drove to Preston and caught the service train to Lancaster. However, after last week’s usual NT/TP debacle (mainly NT); “Strike Saturday”, followed by “Can’t be Ar*ed Sunday” and then “Run out of Trains Monday” I decided to drive to Lancaster, just under an hour.

I had “sussed out” the parking at Lancaster City FC, a couple of hundred yards from the station and £2 on Sunday. When I arrived, the machine refused to take coins and two attempts to book via my mobile both failed, so back to the station car park where there was now a queue of cars trying to get in. Option 3, Dallas Rd car park, still only a couple of hundred yards away but a whopping £8 for the day, luckily I had 8 £1 coins but the machine refused to take one of them, so next charge band, £5.20 for 5 hours (I needed nearly 6) but this would have to do.

I arrived at the station expecting the train to be in the platform, but it wasn’t. I later found out that the ECS was delayed at Carnforth because of an over-running NR possession; a personal intervention by WCRC’s MD, who was on the train, got things moving. The train arrived pulled by 47.760 and stopped, whereupon a flurry of elves descended from the train directing passengers to their coaches. At the north end was BIL – if Santa got stuck up that chimney he must have put on a few pounds – it’s a big un. I had a seat in coach B – or so I thought . . . when I arrived at “my seat” it was already occupied, another 2 passengers were also double-booked for the same table. After a short delay we were found a table, this had been allocated for “off-duty elves” – same coach nearer the front. Another family who hadn’t received their tickets sat across the aisle but were eventually moved to coach K. We were joined by a man who hadn’t booked and who regularly and routinely relied on the good offices of the train manager to find him a seat.. Eventually we settled, 2 at a table each side of the aisle – ready!

3L we were off on a cool, sunny morning, Steve Chipperfield driving and Chris Holmes firing with Roly Parker the guard. BIL has a quiet exhaust but sounded busy as the heavy train accelerated to 44 at Morecambe S Jn, 54 at Hest Bank and 58 at Carnforth, passed with plenty of whistling. Speed dipped to just under 50 at Yealand summit, then we reached a max of a little above 65 at Beela Viaduct, this fell to 63 at Milnthorpe before we slowed and stopped in Oxenholme loop (5L). A couple of minutes later the VT to Glasgow passed, 6E we were off. (The TP to Edinburgh was running very late so we were allowed out in front). BIL made a lovely, noisy attack on Grayrigg, we reached and held 42 on the 1/131r beyond Hay Fell, a tad slower at Lambrigg (4E) where the gradient tightens to 1/106r and a min of just over 37 at the summit. We quickly picked up speed but BIL was kept in check; Santa needs time to do his rounds and the elves were busy handing out food. We reached a max of 65 just beyond MP30½. As we hit the foot of the climb the noise from the front increased; Birkbeck Viaduct (56), Greenholme road bridge (50) then speed fell away quickly, 37 at Scout Green, Shap Wells 29 and a minimum of 26 at MP37¼ which was held to the summit board (2½E).

We were running early so nothing exceptional was required and rocking and rolling in the high 70s wasn’t a good idea with kids, grannies and elves walking about. We reached 67 around Clifton and Lowther before being turned off the main line at Penrith S Jn and to a stop in platform 3 at Penrith to allow the TP Edinburgh train to pass. Four minutes later and now 5L (thanks TP) we set off for Carlisle, we reached a max of 70 a couple of miles before Southwaite before slowing and turning off the main line at Upperby Bridge Jn (8½L). We stopped on the curve for the loco to water from a road tanker, the tanker crew were wearing Santa hats – well done lads! Watering complete and 6L BIL drew us round the curve and up to Petteril Bridge Jn, stop, and then 47.760 pulled us (backwards) into platform 3 at Carlisle (7E).

A walk to the front where “Kevin the Carrot”, wearing his WCRC high viz vest, was “in charge” on the footplate. I had a brief chat with Steve Chipperfield who confirmed that the 47 was “only taking its own weight”, he said that BIL had slipped twice on Grayrigg at flange greasers and he had eased in anticipation of the one before Scout Green to prevent a recurrence; but BIL had still slipped – loss of speed explained. Steve added that BIL had plenty of power and rode better that the coaches.

How BIL had magically moved from one end of the train to the other was a mystery to many of the non-regular travellers but was welcome news to me, still 3½ coaches from the front, still travelling forwards, still with a window seat but this time with a view to the east. BIL was blowing off and anxious to be away, at 14.11 and a few seconds, with a whistle, we were off, a little uncertain as she gently eased her heavy train over the pointwork at the south end of the station. BIL was soon into her stride, at the end of the 4 miles of 1/131r we were up to 43, the gradient then eases (1/184r, short level then 1/228r) and by Southwaite we were up to 54 (4L), speed increased to 58 at the top of the 1/228r, we held 56 on the 1/172r to Calthwaite but this fell back slightly to 55 on the 1/164r beyond. On the 2 miles of level past Plumpton (2L) we peaked at just under 64, a couple of miles of 1/186r were brushed aside and on the level before Penrith we were back up to 63. Several blasts on the whistle and through the station at 61 (1L), we crossed Lowther Viaduct at 48 and onto the 1/125r, Clifton and Lowther (52 & RT), speed fell to 48 by Thrimby Grange but was held and touched 50 as we approached Harrisons sidings and held at 49 on the last stretch (1/142r). On the level past Shap village we almost reached 55, down to 50 on the final climb with 51 at the summit and 53 (MP37½). There followed a steady descent, we were running RT, then a slow approach to Oxenholme where we were booked into the loop but stopped in the platform whilst the signal for the loop cleared. The unscheduled stop meant we were 6L when we stopped to await the VT service to pass, it passed and RT we were back onto the mainline. A nice quick run followed with 70 before Milnthorpe but not long after we were checked approaching Carnforth N Jn for the late running NT Barrow-Preston, once cleared we made our way past Morecambe Bay and a beautiful red sunset before stopping in Lancaster (7L).

A short walk back to the car park – no ticket, phew! I drove back down the motorway, now dark and home for 17.00. The end of an excellent day; BIL over Shap both ways in daylight (was this BIL’s first southbound run?), no assistance from the diesel that I could see from the data, a plethora of elves, shook Santa’s hand, mince pie, mulled wine and a tub of hot pot all for £30 – tremendous! The train had only one dining coach and the rest was sold out. There were some empty seats as a few passengers had apparently gone to join the train at Carnforth; shame for any kids.

Thanks to all concerned in making this a fantastic day out (@acorb has already posted on the trip from a family perspective – and they loved it!). This really is a trip for the kids but there was room for some “grumpy old men” as we were jokingly referred to by one of the cheekier elves. The elves were all dressed up, and comprised a few employees, friends, grannies and children – they were excellent. The “usual” stewards were also on board and it was good to have a long chat with @RalphW – no he wasn’t dressed as elf!. Again Bob, the train manager, sorry the Fat Controller was resplendent in his top hat, tail coat and white gloves, if ever a man was right for a role . . .

BIL looks like being “a really useful engine” and I’m looking forward to more trips. I understand that 1306 is now complete and ready for a test run and if successful will move to Southall. I also heard that the FS Christmas Dalesman has proved so popular that extra coaches have had to be added. I don’t really understand the seemingly insatiable appetite for trips behind Flying Scotsman and the willingness to pay a surcharge for the privilege, but I am pleased for Ian Riley that it is loading so well – I’m on it.

4. RalphW

RalphW Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Administrator Friend

Retired-ish, Part time rail tour steward.
    Nice shot Nige, but she seem to have been afflicted by the LMS leak.....
    Once the passengers were aboard and seated, the regular stewards retired to the brake, last coach, and the diesel remained at muted tickover all the time, even after the slip at the Scout Green greaser nothing changed and BIL was allowed to soldier on unaided...So yes notch one and no more was the order of the day.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
    green five, andalfi1 and Haighie like this.
  5. acorb

acorb Part of the furniture

Thanks Ralph and Oswaldtwistle, in which case this was (as suspected) a very impressive performance by BIL.

6. nige757

nige757 Member

retired
    Thanks Ralph much appreciated, thanks for the info as its it's nice to know what happens on route also thanks to Oswald T Wistle for his in depth report.

7. Oswald T Wistle

Oswald T Wistle Well-Known Member Friend

ESI Eng Manager (Retd)
    All that experience and ends up in charge of a carrot! Your excellent pic does justice to a wonderfully proportioned loco doing what it was designed to do.

Shep Woolley likes this.
  8. Gladiator 5076

Gladiator 5076 Resident of Nat Pres

That really is an amazing price for the package you have described there, must really appeal to families. I guess the closeness of Carnforth helps the operation (and costs) and I did wonder what chances there may be down South for WCRC to do something similar based out of Southall. But I guess in reality it would only be the Surrey Hills circuit, and I bet you could never find a Sunday where some part was not closed for engineering work or maybe even be able to get out of the depot in the first place!

green five likes this.
  9. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

It was good to see 35018 clearly going very well and with limited assistance from 47760 on the back. I have no doubt it was an enjoyable excursion but it is a waste of effort to try to analyse the performance of 35018 without knowing the motive power provided by 47760, "notch 1" or otherwise.

10. sgthompson

sgthompson Part of the furniture Friend

Tobacco manufacturing
    My friends on board footage to go with the superb write ups .

11. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

We are booked on the 16th one which is going round the block, had a look on RTT and we seem to be having a break in Blackburn?

Lancaster - Blackburn http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10536/2018/12/16/advanced
    Blackburn to Lancaster http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10536/2018/12/16/advanced

My first thought was water, but there is still a pause at Hellifield? Any ideas - UDG at Blackburn sounds like a loop rather than a platform?

Would be nice to get off just so the kiddies can see the loco as the one issue last year was if you joined at Lancaster you never saw the loco as she was of the platform end at the station.

12. Enterprise

Enterprise Part of the furniture

Just so. On the SW side of the station towards Mayson Street.

13. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Those two links are the same!
    This is the return.....http://www.realtimetrains.co.uk/train/U10538/2018/12/16/advanced

GWR4707 likes this.
  14. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

15. 46223

46223 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

On RTT Blackburn is down as the destination and the return is down as 'starts here' so I presume it is classed as two different trains hence two reporting numbers. It's the same as the trip from Crewe to Burnley on December 8, two trains, 1Z70 & 1Z72.

16. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Tickets arrived today, coach D :)

Haighie likes this.
  17. RalphW

Since the train was turned at Carlisle it will the other way round for the next run, that is with 'A' dining at the rear with the brake next to the support coach at the front.
    Edit, post clarified.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  18. 60017

60017 Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Retired from corporate slavery :o)
    Makes no odds to me, as long as the family get to see Santa :)

19. RalphW

He will be waving from a window as the stock rolls into the station, as will all the elves and other helpers, you can't miss him, red suit and white beard......:)
    The Fat controller, aka Bob the regular train manager, is also a figure of note, fancy waistcoat, tailcoat, white gloves and top hat. Quite a few parents got him to pose with their children while at Carlisle...:Snaphappy:

20. Bodorganboy

Bodorganboy Member

That would make sense as the whole train was turned at Carlisle.
    Doing the same this coming Sunday would reverse the stock again for the 12th