If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

WD 196 Errol Lonsdale

Discussion in 'Steam Traction' started by Swan Age, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Scorpian04111986

Scorpian04111986 Member

I install Commercial and Domestic Oil Tanks all ov
    Surely now it would be more of a repatriation and return rather than stopping her from leaving, and she is going to a good home they visited her at buck an made her nameplates the cleanest I've seen them in a long while

2. Don't worry, chaps - I'm stuck here :)

3. Martin Perry

Martin Perry Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator Friend

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Only if you live in Australia, Sport!

4. martin butler

martin butler Part of the furniture

seriously though guys, at least she is going to be well looked after and hopefully restored to steam,at the South Devon, that was very unlikily, and belguim isnt that far away so she could easily return once restored to visit uk lines as engines do visit lines on the continent from here and an exchange visit could be arranged

previously i made mension of Antwerp , well its now on the rememberance line web site, she has been given to us on loan, and should be coming to selinge sometime next year, in feb or march , so its more good news for these un wanted engines who has got sapper, any ideas, and where is she going to be based?

so theres 3 more austerities that have every chance of a working future , isnt that worth praising

5. Hunslets Finest

Hunslets Finest Well-Known Member

Following my previous post all the following preserved Austerities worked for SNCB in 1944-46 - HE3180 (Antwerp perhaps not surprisingly), RSH 7086 (K&ESR) , HE 3155 (at Southport) and HE 2857 (Swiftsure).

Also perhaps WD livery would be more appropriate for Robert at the GC as previously mentioned on this thread. It was loaned to the Southern during the war. Also of course worked on BR in NCB days so no need for horrid BR black!

All gen fom Lambert and Woods bible.

Cheers,

6. Martin Perry

North West England, owned by a professional railwayman.

7. martin butler

at least the future looks better for these three engines, what is the red livery that antwerp is currently in, is it from her coal board days, and what colour would the engines have been in when in belgium green or black? ,i have no idea what livery either of these engines will carry, or should carry once restored , i do like longmore blue, as i remember 196 in this colour, fully lined out, but what other liveries are suitable and authentic

8. Miff

Miff Part of the furniture Friend

So where, or which railway, is Errol going to in Belgium? Apologies if I've missed this in an earlier post.

9. WD196

WD196 New Member

Don't worry, the loco is going to a good home and restoration will begin in a couple years time once other projects are finished.
    More information will be released once the loco arrives at its new home and a press release is sent out.

10. Steve

Steve Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Gentleman of leisure, nowadays
    Antwerp is presently in the standard maroon livery applied to NCB No. 8 area (Castleford ) and later North Yorkshire Area locos, where it spent all its working life after de-mob, although this particular paint job was done on the NYMR.

11. WD196

WD196 New Member

Indeed, how strange it sounds but infact for many parts of england its faster to get to Belgium then South Devon

12. martin butler

very true what with hs1 and euro star i would guess it is, we used to have a service to belguim at one point from here, and its sorely missed both here and in belgium , what with the new hi-speed service and fast sea cat passinger ferries it could be even faster ,

but getting back on track its strange how these locos ,out of coal board or military service provided the means for many railways in their early days to run steam, and yet are mostly discarded but the lines that once needed them and in some cases are almost imbarristed to have them,and see no point in overhauling what they have, out of season they are powerful enough to operate most railways needs, but its because they dont have the glamour of being ex BR mainline locos

13. paullad1984

paullad1984 Member

A few lines have found that glamour locos tend to break rather easily, or have trouble getting them in, leading to lack of steam and have had to bring industrials back in.

14. John Devon

John Devon New Member

15. Martin Perry

I can think of one but you say "a few", would you care to expand?

16. martin butler

heres an update on Antwerp , she was due to be moved to kent some time this month, but because she is on the wrong side of bridge 30 its going to be delayed until the NYMR can repair the bridge and shunt the engine to where it can be loaded up , once she does arrive at selinge, she will be completly stripped down so that we can access the work required , we know that she will probally need a new firebox, and a full general overhaul at the moment we are still overhauling the replacement bogies for the TWERPS 37 its been a full strip down, clean back to bare metal and repaint job a limited amount of welding had to be done then we can start re assembleing

17. williamfj2

williamfj2 Member

Its good news that Antwerp has found a new home where she can be put to good use.

18. martin butler

well its going to be a few years before we can think of putting her to use, but once restored we hope to base her on the Folkestone harbour branch, if we save it, and she will see use there, i for one cant wait to try my hand at that bank i wonder how loud she barks? but we have a lot of fund raising to do first both at selinge and for the line, as well the practical work of re instating an overgrown weed overed track

19. Drewry Car

Drewry Car Member

She used to bark nicely on the Moors in the early/mid 80s when I was up there with the Deltics regularly!

20. martin butler

well i was on crossing duty when 70013 ran the last charter and that was loud you could feel the exhaust more than hear it the houses next to the line tend to amplify it it was great to experience and i had never seen so many people who came out to see her, how nice would it be to welcome her back and use Antwerp as back engine