If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Weardale Railway

Discussion in 'Heritage Railways & Centres in the UK' started by Tim Light, May 1, 2017.

1. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    I made my first visit to the Weardale Railway today. I wasn't sure what to expect, given this line's turbulent preservation history, but it turned out to be a pleasant experience.

Providing the service was a single Class 122 railcar, 55012, beautifully restored to DMU green with go-faster whiskers. As a bonus, the interior was spotlessly clean as were the windows (very important on a scenic line).

I thought the railcar might be inadequate on a bank holiday, but the load factor turned out to be just about right.

The 11-mile route to Witton-le-Wear is very scenic, passing through a rural landscape for most of the way. The Eastern end, towards Witton, has a bit too much undergrowth, but the Western end has been largely cleared of trees and offers good panoramic views from the railcar.

Stanhope station has been beautifully restored, and is a real gem. Frosterly and Wolsingham are in private hands, and railway facilities are minimal. Witton appears to be a newly built platform just big enough for the single railcar. Framework is in place for an extension, but it will still only accommodate a 2-coach train.

There was very little rolling stock available for viewing. A sentinel shunter was doing "driver for a Fiver" at Stanhope, and a Class 31 was also in the platform, along with a couple of MkII coaches. Beyond Wolsingham station was a yard containing two Class 08s, a 31 and a Hunslet shunter plus a number of coaches. But if you blinked you missed it.

Everyone was friendly and helpful. The station café had a good, reasonably priced menu.

Overall I thought it was a decent experience, especially for an organisation in its infancy. It's certainly minimalist in terms of the train and its operation, but everything they do they do very well.

P1100643.JPG

Last edited: May 2, 2017
    Kinghambranch and Robkitchuk like this.
  2. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I've always liked the Weardale railway. Beautiful scenery. I too think Stanhope station is a brilliant restoration, especially the canopy. I enjoy the bubble car, but can remember trips behind the NER P class, Austerity 49 and Bowes railway number 22 - working Ard all the way.

3. sycamore

sycamore Member

Guard & Signalman (E&BAR) / Driver (HVMR)
    Embsay or Bolton Abbey, sometimes in between...
  4. 92120

92120 New Member

pensioner
    What does the future hold for this railway?
    I spent a day there just after it reopened a few years back and thought it had great possibilities for the future,rail connected,near to the Shildon museum(could be linked too?)
    excellent scenery.
    I dont think the community railway idea would have ever been a success,it will always be a struggle to get people out of their cars!
    The website seems to be stagnant with a lack of information apart from a difficult to view page of the timetable,the news page is not available.
    As for the FB group ,no thanks, it is obviously easier and probably less costwise but a lot of us prefer our info through the web and publications not on FB so could someone not update the web pages?or this forum?
    So does the line have a future?

5. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

Ì think it does. It's good to see they're starting small this time and building a sustainable operation. They have recently extended to witton le wear, with an aim of returning to bishop auckland. They're steam loco is nearly overhauled I think.

6. 92120

92120 New Member

pensioner
    Thanks for that,it is one line i would like to see a successful outcome for.
    If they could get back to Bishop Auckland they will be in reach of a good population base and an existing rail connection.
    Stanhope is a nicely presented station at the end?of a decent run.
    So wish them a good future.

7. Luke McMahon

Luke McMahon Member

Is their future still in the balance as though DCR (IIRC owned by the americans) own the line now don't they & only wanted it to be open for freight traffic???

If they can extend & reopen bishop auckland that'd do them a world of good as been told by a mate who's visited this year that it's a bit of a sod to reach if you haven't got a car.

8. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

I'm not a member. But hope that they've got an agreement to run the line. For me the section from Wolsingham and Stanhope is scenically better. So would like to see steam between these two. And a dmu between bishop auckland and Stanhope. Catering to two markets and allowing people to choose what journey they want.

9. wcmlbls1846

wcmlbls1846 Well-Known Member

Bluenosejohn likes this.
  10. 61624

61624 Part of the furniture

I was under the impression that it was bought by the American company for coal traffic, but this has now ended. I have to say that I think the future for this line doesn't look great - another Wensleydale limping along with minimal resources, although if things go back to the original plan they are in line to get the new-build G5. I hate to say it (I'm beginning to sound like PaulH!) but the time for lines like this are gone. There aren't enough locos and rolling stock available at the right price to give a nascent group the breathing space to get going and keep afloat. That was the great gift of the Mk 1 to the preservation movement, as was Barry scrapyard - another opportunity long gone)

gwalkeriow likes this.
  11. Robkitchuk

Robkitchuk Member

It's a line with brilliant potential. It has a tbh sure large collection of stock and access to the full branch. It has a loyal volunteer base and I hope they don't over stretch themselves. It's a small friendly line, with good scenery. For me I prefer smaller operations far friendlier than your 'premier league line's.

12. Tim Light

Tim Light Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree about locos. There are hundreds of steam locos out there waiting to be overhauled. Far more than existing lines are able to deal with. Passenger stock is more of a problem, as traditional slam-door carriages are almost a thing of the past on Network Rail, and more modern stock is quite unsuitable for steam haulage.