If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welsh Highland Railway opens to Beddgelert...

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Roger Dimmick, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

I expect the overriding feeling was relief! Im sure when trains are finally running out Harbour station northbound, the smiles will require surgery to remove :)

Chris

2. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    Further to my initial response...

If you actually read the 'mouse over' captions on the photographs on Ben's report, you will see that virtually none of those in the photos you mention could be described as 'founders of the project' - as the majority of them are VIPs and dignitaries...

In the first photograph everyone is smiling... In the second photograph, only three people are aware a photo is being taken - Mike Hart (who is definitely smiling) and two ladies from WEFO. The others are chatting and looking at the passing scenery.

Your description of 'founders of the project' having 'apprehensive expressions' is, therefore, total fabrication...

3. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

I was at the same table at the lunch in Beddgelert as one of the "founders of the project" (not among the people shown in Peter Johnson's pictures taken in the obs) and can advise that he was smiling rather a lot...

4. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Just another observation here, but are you just trying to create a pointless discussion?

5. triassic

triassic Member

Sorry but this was the pic I looked at http://whr.bangor.ac.uk/2009/pj-bedd-080409-13.jpg I naturally presumed (silly me) that a lot of the founders would be on the first train. Apparently not. I still observe from this pic published on the official WHR website that they are not the happiest looking bunch of bunnies ever caught on film. So Mr Dimmick could you explain how my observation of a photograph is "total fabrication"

6. talyllyn1

talyllyn1 Member

Whether they are founders or not, they aren't the unhappiest "bunch of bunnies ever caught on film" either. There's a trace of a smile from most of them, who look like many people do at such occasions - a little self conscious about having their photo taken. No disrespect to the apparent average age of those present (which would corrrespond with my own), but what did you expect - double somersaults and "high fives" ? :-k

7. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

This photo was not taken on the opening day – but on the first day of public services – so your comment is misleading and inaccurate...

You have made a baseless assumption that the people in the photo are ‘founders of the project’ – so your comment is misleading and inaccurate...

‘Apprehensive expressions’ is again misleading and inaccurate. I will concede the point that they are not leaping up and down with enthusiasm. An accurate description would be that they are attempting smiles in a very self-conscious and even embarrassed manner – but, remember these are people who were enjoying a ride on the railway and have suddenly been asked to pose for a photo by a stranger...

What basis do you have for swinging from extreme to the other..? No-one has said anything to lead you to this statement – it’s just another uninformed comment that you have plucked from thin air...

See comments about ‘apprehensive expressions’ above...

I think I just have done – but, to summarise, your postings consist of misleading and inaccurate statements, baseless assumptions and uninformed comments... in other words total fabrication

8. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    The comment about smiling could have been clarified with a simple remark that 'These were not the founders but a group of people enjoying a ride'.

As it stands, the nit-picking of what was basically a throw-away comment does not encourage me (and others I'm sure) to visit the WHR, or discuss it in any way, in case we say the wrong thing.

Keith

9. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Crikey - there's nothing much to start an argument over here, but if it helps, I've amended the caption on the thumbnail leading to the image referenced above (see this page, it's about 3/4 of the way down) to make it a bit clearer what's being illustrated. The assumed confusion is with two pictures further up the page of different people taken from a similar position the day before.

For what it's worth, if you look out of the window, the train is in the dip at Plas y Nant bog, perhaps that's why they may look a bit apprehensive (actually you scarcely notice it from the train, but then again it may be different in the obs)... ;-)

10. Platelayer

Platelayer Member

What? You'd not visit the most exciting railway rebuilding project for several years (my opinion) just because of words written on a forum thread?

And, was it just a throw-away comment? Maybe there is a little sensitivity around the WHR.

11. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Excuse me, my detailed answer was in response to Triassic's specific request to explain why his observations were inaccurate... ](*,)

12. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    I want my photo taken next to the white elephant. I think it should be advertised as an aditional attraction of the railway!

13. ghost

ghost Part of the furniture

Yes I am an active volunteer
    I am aware of that. My point being, that if a simple clarification had been given at the start, perhaps detailed answers would not be required... ](*,)

And in reply to Platelayer - the cost and time for me to travel to the WHR is considerable. If I was to make the journey, I'd want to feel welcome and that any questions would be answered in a reasonable manner.

Keith

14. ryan66

ryan66 New Member

I agree, the responce provided to a run of the mill question from a casual (and obviously interested) observer seems a little harsh and unwelcoming.

15. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

But that's exactly what I did, Keith...
    ...and that's where I would have left it - until I was requested to expand further by Triassic

16. richards

richards Part of the furniture

No I do not currently volunteer
    OK - let's get back to the subject please ...

Richard

17. Tim Cowen

Tim Cowen Member

Getting back to the subject, I had a very good day there on Friday. I had a ride on the first train from Dinas to Beddgelert and back then spent the rest of the day photographing Garratts at various places along the line. I think the line into Beddgelert around those S bends is great, if you are quick you can get 3 shots of the same train in a few minutes.
    Pics are here - http://www.steampics.com/html/whrapr09.html

Good luck to the WHR and I cant wait for the next section to open!

Tim.

18. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    I did the new stretch yesterday and it really gives the railway a purpose and you can see that people are using it to go places, I very much prefer the FfR, but I guess that Spooner, who I think most people will admire, would be all for the further development of his little railway. Anyone who's decided to not ride on it because of the WHR Ltd. business is doing themselves out of a ride on an arguably decent stretch of line that they've probably always wanted to see rebuilt, you of course can also go down for a ride at the WHHR and ride in the stock which used to run on that railway, someday the two, I'm sure, will be combined if both groups play ball, and if you want to make that day come sooner then help finish either the train at the WHHR ( http://www.whr.co.uk/index.php?pid=35 ) or the railway at the WHR ( http://www.whr.bangor.ac.uk/involved.htm ) though this is the furthest from completion.

I'm willing to wait as long as it takes for that day to come, but perhaps you aren't?

19. Merddin Emrys

Merddin Emrys New Member

Bed and Breakfast
    William, that makes so much sense =D> my sentiments exactly! I'm an FR member who has a lot of time for the WHHR and all they have achieved and only yesterday we had a great time at the WHHR Easter event, great fun \:D/ The new WHR is amazing though and we will do the new part when it goes to Hen Hafod \:D/ The FR is still my favourite though =P~

20. voyager

voyager New Member

Folks,

The re-opening thus far is a great achievement by all concerned.

Can anyone advise on what policy is in force re. WHRS Member travel entitlements now that the Beddgelert extension is open?

There was discussion over the winter about a possible temporary suspension / modification of benefits but I'm not aware of the outcome.

Thanks,