If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welsh Highland Railway opens to Beddgelert...

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by Roger Dimmick, Apr 7, 2009.

1. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

Re: Welsh Highland Railway sets fire to Beddgelert...?

Are all the WHR (C) locos coal-fired ? Mention of sparks and cinders suggests this was a coal-fired loco, on a day when perhaps oil firing might have been better.

We had quite a spectacular hillside fire at Corris on Easter Sunday, but as it was between Corris and Aberllefenni and the railway no longer goes beyond Corris, the train did not get blamed. ;-)

Richard

2. RGCorris

RGCorris Member

Let's hope the majority of prospective passengers can understand the train announcements better than you ;-)

"Oh Mr Porter what shall I do
    I wanted to go to Caernarfon but I ended up in Blaenau"

Richard

3. D1059

D1059 Member

Cinders ? - speaking from a position of complete ignorance, how much of a problem (from a fire risk perspective) are cinders being blown out of an OIL fired loco (assuming it wasn't a coal fired loco on the train) ?

STEVE

4. Christopher125

Christopher125 Part of the furniture

There's some comments about this on the WHR forum which cast an element of doubt on what caused this, it'll be interesting to see what the investigation finds.

Chris

5. Ben Fisher

Ben Fisher Member

Re: Welsh Highland Railway sets fire to Beddgelert...?

87 and K1 are coal, 143 is oil. It's been stated that when 138 emerges from overhaul it will be on coal, but this might change if oil looks more economical at that point. Considerable trouble has been gone to in 87's overhaul to equip it with a discreet but apparently very effective spark arrestor (complete with testing after dark). As the press reports suggest, this is being checked.

6. paulhitch

paulhitch Guest

A third possibility is spillage from the ashpan. The number of passengers (60) quoted in the newspaper article (assuming it is accurate of course) is about the same as on my trip last weekend, How many vehicles were on the train? Fire hazard as well as wear and tear and fuel costs is a prime reason for keeping trailing loads down.

Do fire authorities begin to charge for putting such fires out if they become habitual? Insurance implications for all coal fire railways, not just the WHR are obvious.

7. ryan66

ryan66 New Member

Which locals would these be, and do you speak from experience of having dealt with them?

8. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    The dampers are on the inside of the frames so the ash would drop in to the ballast, they are also fitted with very good spark arrestors. It'll depend on where the fire started, if it started beyond the summit then given this was an up train (ie, down the S bends) the loco would be using very little if any regulator.

9. Tracklayer

Tracklayer Resident of Nat Pres

Employed
    I am aware of a fairly sizable campaign to discredit the efforts of the WHR. This included disrupting service on day one by tampering with equipment according to press reports. Also, it was not unknown in steam days (and happened a few years ago with 73096) for land owners to fire-set and then claim against the railways. While I am not accusing any individual or group, I wouldnt put it past these same people...

My comment was off the cuff and you seem to have responded in quite a techy way. Rapidly going off this forum...

10. SpudUk

SpudUk Well-Known Member

Project Manager
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    Join the club, there does seem to be alot of techy and opinionated people around! Not that I blaming anyone over this side at all!

11. triassic

triassic Member

Well there is another place if ya not happy bunnies...

12. Tracklayer

Employed
  13. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    Where is this place?

14. triassic

triassic Member

15. Tracklayer

Employed
    Rileys.

I dont wish to start a debate - yet I am opening a can of worms here...
    Interesting, to quote your Sig Triassic,

I question the Daily Post and take a look around me at the anti WHR protests, the bitterness and spite from the local opposition...

16. barclay

barclay Member

Gents

On Saturday I am travelling up from London to meet some friends who are (entirely co-incidently) staying at the Rhyd Ddu campsite. I'm going to go there by train.

I’ve got a cheapie Wrexham & Shropshire ticket to Shrewsbury, then will take a train on the Cambrian to Porthmadog. There’s not a bad bus connection from there to Beddgellert, but do any locals on Natpres know exactly where the bus stop is in relation to Porthmadog BR station?

I love being able to use steam railways as “proper” public transport!

17. Nexuas

Nexuas Well-Known Member

Theatre Technician
    I believe it calls in at the bus stop opposite the WHHR. But don't quote me...

18. Selsig

Selsig Member

Pretty much right. Out of the BR station onto Tremadog Road, theres a Bus Stop virtually next to the Queens Hotel. If in doubt, turn either way and further bus stops are within easy walking distance (outside Tescos to the right, and to the left theres at least one more before you reach the playground where the road turns left to Tremadog)

19. SillyBilly

SillyBilly Member

Student
    No it isn't. You'll be on the right side of the railway for it allready, all you need to do is walk down the ramp off the platform and it is right straight ahead, your side of the road, opposite Partco.

20. Roger Dimmick

Roger Dimmick Member

Narrow Gauge Heaven - Porthmadog, Gwynedd
    The official stop for the S97 and 197 ('open-top' bus) services to Beddgelert is located on the town side of the level-crossing - the side you will arrive on from Machynlleth...

HOT OFF THE PRESS... We have just been notified that, due to lack of patronage, the 197 service will be withdrawn from Tuesday 5th May. It will resume on Monday 18th July and run Mondays to Saturdays only for the duration of the school holidays. Please Note: This service is run by an independent operator, unconnected with the F&WHR, so please don't read anything into this information other than what is said!

The normal Sherpa service No.S97 will continue to run as scheduled - HERE