If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welsh Marches Express 12/05/18 (Saphos)

Discussion in 'What's Going On' started by andalfi1, May 2, 2018.

1. John Petley

John Petley Part of the furniture

Researcher/writer and composer of classical music
    Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    Yes I am an active volunteer
    As I pointed out on the 35018 thread, it hasn't needed a few superb recent performances by BIL to prove what good engines the Merchant Navies are. Another certain member of the class has consistently been putting in some superb performances for some years now :). Still, if 35018's assault on Shap encourages the chaps at Crewe to get cracking with 35022 and 35027, I for one won't be complaining!

2. class8mikado

class8mikado Part of the furniture

Print Estimator/ Repository of Useless Informatio.
    No I do not currently volunteer
    It would kind of make sense for MN18 to go to LSL with potentially more of those coming on stream later, but what do 10a get in return, Britannia ? Royal Scot ? surely they are both ' icons of steam' and not likely to be let go.

3. 26D_M

26D_M Part of the furniture

In no way was it suggested MN18 join the LSL fleet, only it act as an inspiration to LSL to get its pair overhauled. The main point being MNs could be the 8P backbone of both fleets because they survive in relative abundance and are gauge friendly. The return of MN18 has merely served to provide a reminder of the type's capabilities.

Bean-counter, MellishR and andalfi1 like this.
  4. class8mikado

Apologies, wondering off onto WIBN land. The desire to get all the ducks in a row / pigeons in holes in the giant train set that is the UK preservation movement is very strong, easy to forget that a group of individuals who have given up decades restoring these machines are not keen to let them wander off even if they are far away from their origins and not ideal for their current homes...

5. 26D_M

Suspect there is at least 3 unrestored MNs for which no reasonable offer would be rejected. Plus 35029 is mechanically very good apparently ....

andalfi1 likes this.
  6. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

So there we have it. Early promise is a little jaded. Standard stuck in sealed units. Diesel there for emergencies and stock management replicating other operators and shoving along when they said they would not. Overloading trains to make the extra buck at the cost of quality. BUT, it is their trial period so maybe things will improve.

sycamore likes this.
  7. 26D_M

It is early days but first impressions count a great deal. Given the context of launching the Saphos venture and those involved it might be expected every measure would be taken to create a character to distinguish from the way things might be done by others. Not so, apparently.

sycamore likes this.
  8. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

Isn't the problem just the fact they insisted on going to Cardiff? All the other routes look ok to me.

60017 likes this.
  9. 26D_M

The Cardiff route is a challenging one but the declaration of intent made at launch looks pretty hollow if there is a glaring mismatch with operational necessity. Beggar the cost and make it a steam double header if needs be to establish the values of how it is intended to conduct business?

black5 likes this.
  10. IamDaniel

IamDaniel Member

You're very good at coming up with WIBN ideas and endlessly speculating, aren't you?

11. 26D_M

How tediously predictable. Your routine expression of dissatisfaction with my comments has no constructive purpose and frankly betrays a little immaturity. Find a new story, Mr Puddicombe?

12. class8mikado

Oi! what about me , I thought I was good at that as well:Spitoutdummy:

26D_M likes this.
  13. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Be interesting to see what happens when the trains are not being run on a shoestring at heavily discounted fares, may be a few more quid in the bottom line to reduce loading's to be more motive power appropriate.

The Mk2's thing is never going to work for many, for the same reasons I just do not understand the idea that the A1ST are planning mk3's which will be even worse, rather takes the ambiance out of it although depends where your target audience is, if it fine dining possibly so but not for cheese butty tours?

14. MellishR

MellishR Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Post #43 quoted "None of our trips are planned to require a banking engine, therefore you will enjoy the experience of a steam hauled journey without any diesel assistance." However the previous paragraph on the same web page says "Our trains will not be assisted by diesel traction from the rear of the train unless authorised to do so as part of an out of course situation, or as a banking engine at specific locations as authorised by Network Rail."

That seems contradictory. And anyway it is on the Icons of Steam website, not that of Saphos Trains, which is the promoter of these tours.

As others have said, more Class 8s would help a lot.

15. 26D_M

I will accept there may be a "loss leader" element to the first series of trains but cannot agree things are being done on a "shoestring budget", given the nature of the supporting businesses.
    Maybe it's just a growing pains issue, but I would think creating a basis which sets Saphos/LSL apart from the established players will be key to a successful future.

sycamore likes this.
  16. class8mikado

In the long run, for a Mark 2, and even a Mark 3, opening windows are a possibility as the design for opening windows, and no doubt a bit of the hardware, exists, but like everything else it comes down to cost... if the feedback comes back to Saphos 'Thanks for the cheap trip, but I sha'n't book full price to sit in an aircraft fuselage' then a rethink on the Mark2s/ more Mk1s maybe the only way to stay in the game. They look smashing externally and I expect are quite smart internally as well though. Certainly Mrs C8M would prefer not to have the Draught and Rattle of an old mk1

26D_M likes this.
  17. GWR4707

GWR4707 Nat Pres stalwart

Possibly showing my ignorance of modern rolling stock here, I cannot comment on mk2's but where has the opening window design been done for a mk3, and as they are of monocoque design will changing the window design affect crashworthiness (Are the windows D/G'ed - we don't get such things in the provinces up here!), people getting ejected through the windows seems to be the principle danger to rolling stock? Add to that the effect that opening windows has on A/C and it just doesn't seem to add up or really seem worthwhile, just one person having a window cracked would potentially make the A/C superfluous for the inhabitants of the whole carriage

Going back to my earlier point it rather depends on what market the operator is aiming at, if its fine dining and the suited and booted travller then possibly they will value environment over what can be heard outside, Looking at the Saphos prices take the discount away an they seem to be roughly on par with others, so possibly its a price travellers will have to pay for the extra comfort?

18. Dobbs0054

Dobbs0054 Member

Indeed. The concept of a loss leader is to attract customers. The product is sold at the quality normally expected. That loss leader then generates returning customers and in this case references for new customers. It would appear on this one that quality has been sacrificed. A good reputation is hard to earn but easily lost.

19. Big Al

Big Al Nat Pres stalwart Staff Member Moderator

I am more than happy to cut Saphos Trains some slack at present. What that means in practice is that I was going nowhere near the Cardiff trip and it was pretty obvious to anyone who was bothered that what happened was going to happen.

My 'take' on this operation is that they decided to start the 2018 season with only a part train set for steam charters - i.e. a mix of Mark 1 and 2 stock, hence the diesel and the air con coaches. It was not much different in composition from the Crystal Palace special with Braunton a year back when the train took a diesel and the diesel did nothing, even on the Portsmouth Direct. The introductory price was to encourage people to try the product whilst also acknowledging that for steam purists it was not ideal. On the face of it the only suspect route was the Marches. Holyhead should have been fine and the Borders Circular was definitely ok as I was on it. Even with Gresford in the mix it was fine. (I think that at some point there will be a Heritage Railway piece on it.)

I was told that Saphos is busy bringing more coaches up to scratch so they can run steam charters with more Mk1 coaches and then the diesel will appear for operational reasons rather than to change the air in the carriages. So on that basis, I am assuming that their intentions are honourable, albeit a little premature.

26D_M likes this.
  20. Victor

Victor Nat Pres stalwart Friend

Retired

And 10 A is not likely to let 18 go, I reckon with the way it's turned out that hell will freeze over before 18 leaves Carnforth.
    I never saw Bulleid locos. in the 50's, we had plenty of good machine oop 'ere to keep us satisfied, but from what I've seen in preservation..................they're good.:)