If you register, you can do a lot more. And become an active part of our growing community. You'll have access to hidden forums, and enjoy the ability of replying and starting conversations.

Welshpool and Llanfair 2016 timetable

Discussion in 'Narrow Gauge Railways' started by jamesd, Dec 24, 2015.

1. jamesd

jamesd Member

Heritage Railway Volunteer:
    No I do not currently volunteer
    The provisional 2016 timetable is up on the website and it looks far more interesting than in previous years. As well ass the usual September gala, there is a June event as well as a diesel day in September. In addition, the peak timetable has 6 departures including early and late diesel hauled trains.

http://www.wllr.org.uk/sites/defaul...ailway Provisional Calendar and Timetable.pdf

HY_4273 likes this.
  2. Adam-Box

Adam-Box Member

Is the Welshpool and Llanfair a good line? How does it compare to other Narrow gauge lines in Wales?

3. WB2624

WB2624 New Member

Yes I am an active volunteer
    The WLLR is rather more interesting to travel on than most of the Welsh lines with a combination of steep gradients,pleasant scenery and best of all most the coaches have open end balconies. Think more of a country branch line than a traditional slate railway. Very friendly staff too!

Spamcan81, houghtonga, horace and 2 others like this.
  4. jamesd

jamesd Member

It's my favourite narrow gauge line. Standing on the balcony of one of the carriages with the smokebox of the hard working loco barely feet away is an experience not to be missed. It also portrays a typical light railway atmosphere with halts in the middle of nowhere and the line following the undulations of the land.

If you haven't been I would thoroughly recommend a visit.

houghtonga and Paul Kibbey like this.
  5. pmh_74

pmh_74 Well-Known Member

And also has the two original locos and replicas of the original coaches. Cracking little railway. Just a pity they no longer have the town section at Welshpool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paul Kibbey likes this.
  6. maninthecorner

maninthecorner New Member

Freindly staff (who will show you around the sheds if you ask nicely and they are not to busy). Lovely scenery, interesting stock and well looked after track. Plus if you are from England not to far over the border unlike some. I did my first visit this year just before the SVR Autumn Gala and it was around an hour from Bridgnorth.

I will be back.

7. Achar2001

Achar2001 New Member

Motoring and Rail Journalist and Editor
    The concept behind the diesel-hauled trains is to provide a much earlier departure from Welshpool (9.45, almost 90 minutes earlier), and a later last return which allows those wanting to do two things in one day, principally visit us and Powis Castle, to achieve this. The diesel haulage will only be one way, so the first morning train to Welshpool will be steam as will be the last to Llanfair, the return to Welshpool being diesel where the set will be stabled overnight for the next day's early train. Hope that makes sense!

We're planning a number of changes for 2016 and a number of special events. The June Country Railway Weekend will be aimed at recreating the W&LLR in the 1920s with demonstration freight movements and trans-shipment, and steam-powered road vehicles. It's also worth pointing out that the five weekends of Vintage Trains, which have long been part of the timetable, will in future be mixed workings, combining the Pickering carriages and our heritage freight stock with shunting at either end of the trip.

Finally with regard to the Gala, this will be a three-day event in 2016, 2nd-4th September, and we are planning a number of attractions including a visiting locomotive, though I can't yet reveal its identity!

Andrew C (in W&LLR press officer mode...).

HY_4273, Meiriongwril and I. Cooper like this.
  8. I. Cooper

I. Cooper Member

Ooo, sounds interesting. :)

...usually the Coed Y Dinas/Monty Vintage Club's gathering on the last Sunday in June (although the steam section there can be 'variable' in size Lol), also Kelsall - although I don't think the usual local suspects go there.

9. Paul42

Paul42 Part of the furniture

With it being the same weekend as the Llangollen Autumn Gala this year, it look likely I will be in Wales in early September.

10. jamesd

jamesd Member

I think the early and late diesel hauled trains are a good idea, it will be interesting to see how they work out. I also like the idea of the cream tea train using the SLR carriages, I haven't ridden in these since they were refurbished so I'm looking forward to travelling on these.

11. Devonbelle

Devonbelle New Member

Professional railwayman
    It's my favourite narrow gauge line. First visited as a nipper when Bagnall Monarch hauled us, and kept going back ever since - lovely staff and the rolling stock is a bonus too. The experience of riding on a balcony coach is not to be missed as a loco gets into its stride on the steep gradients. I'll be back this year.

Paul Kibbey and Adam-Box like this.
  12. Paul Kibbey

Paul Kibbey Well-Known Member

Retired
    Hi there , could anyone please tell me why the " Pickering Coaches " are so called . I know Boston Lodge built them to an original design , and very wonderful they look too . Not had the pleasure of travelling on one yet as the W&L seen to keep them tucked up out of the way and only come out on special occasions .

Paul. K

13. richards

richards Part of the furniture

Have you tried typing "Welshpool pickering coaches" into Google??

14. Paul Kibbey

Retired
    Not yet but soon to .

15. Devonbelle

Devonbelle New Member

Professional railwayman
    Paul Kibbey likes this.
  16. Paul Kibbey

Retired
    Hi Devonbelle , many thanks for that . I've always admired the W&L's Pickering stock but thought that was down to Boston Lodge's handiwork . I live on the I.OM. now and the Steam Railway here have some fine rolling stock some dating back to the 19th century . I will now try and find out more .
    Cheers
    Paul .

17. MuzTrem

MuzTrem Member

IIRC the W&L have special "heritage train days" about once a month when they bring out the Pickering coaches, with Countess in matching livery at the head.

18. Fred Kerr

Fred Kerr Resident of Nat Pres Friend

Freelance photo - journalist
    There's also the Welsh Highland Super Gala with its Garratt fleet the following weekend so may be worth a week's holiday touring the other Welsh lines (especially the narrow gauge ones).

19. Achar2001

Achar2001 New Member

Motoring and Rail Journalist and Editor
    Hi, just seen this. You are talking about our Vintage Trains - this year they run on five weekends, the first being 14th-15th May. We've made some changes this year - while Countess and the Pickerings are still part of the line-up, the trains will now be mixed, also including our heritage freight stock and requiring complex shunting moves at each terminus.
    Also, there will be two return trips each day, not one, which will enable those who start their journey at Welshpool to travel both ways in the vintage train.
    Full details including the operating days and times, are on the website at www.wllr.org.uk. Hope this helps!

michaelh likes this.
  20. Masterbrew

Masterbrew New Member

Will be returning home from a few days firing at Bala on the 14th - tempting to have a ride before the long motorcycle ride back to Kent.